Problems loading back from OC

brianoh

Hi, I have a DFI Lanparty Ultra-D, teamed up with a 165 Opteron, and 2GB of OCZ Platinum Ram - OCZ4002048ELDCPE-K (which I configured to the same exact as RyderOCZ's post on BleedingEdge) and a Zalman 7000cu. I oc'd this baby to 270FSB x 9, 1.45V a few days ago. I tried to go up, but the computer kept resetting, bc it couldn't handle the load. I tried reverting back to 270FSB x x9 @ 1.45V, but now it won't load at all, and keeps resetting before it can even backup my CMOS. The temperature is pretty cool (38 degrees in bios), so I'm pretty sure its not an overheating problem. My CPU can't even seem to OC to 220 FSB anymore and I am now typing this on the stock 200x9, 1.35v. I ran Prime95, and received errors at STOCK SPEED! The temperature is at a measly 34 degrees Celcius too.

Also, is there a way to flash your bios without a floppy drive? All I have is my DVD burner.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Guest Blooz1

At this point, you might want to consider clearing your cmos, then loading and saving "optimized defaults" before continuing. There might be some stubborn setting that's not changing properly.

As to your flash question, I'd suggest reading this thread on Tmod's bios cd;

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22031

This is an invaluable tool for anyone who owns a DFI board, and contains most of the bios files for the various boards, along with many other diagnostic tools. The thread has complete instructions for d/ling and burning a self-booting cd.

I already loaded back to the optimized. the only change i've made, was to dual channel my RAM (i put it in slot 1 and 2 before instead). after i had it in dual channel mode, it hasn't been able to overclock at all. i'm at a loss, and have tried to update my BIOS as well, to no avail.

A few days ago after some bigger oc's than are in my sig. I was experiencing some really bad problems.(Kinda like yer' havin'.) Especially @Optimised. Eventually I pulled the rig out and did a partial disassembly. Found that the 4pin connector part of the 24pin connector was loose. Okay so I fixed it. She was 32meg pi stable. But still not right.Still had a corrupt OS so I went to reinstall. Kept getting a bsod in the installing devices.(IRQl less than equil error)

So I figured I'd partially hosed my bios as well.

So I loaded "Optimised"And reflashed. (w/"Tmods" bios cd) Soon as the bios was done flashin' I hit F1. (Important part>>)Then suddenly before she could fully repost I pulled the plug! Pulled the bios battery. and did a fifteen min cmos clear. Then put er' all back together. Then first got into cmos loaded optmised-saved exit. And restarted- again.

Renstalled windows. And voila' all is well back to OCin' my computer! That may or may not help but yer' problem sounds kinda' familiar. In fact usually I don't recomend that poeple flash bios at all.(4leds of dead can happen even when you do it right.)

Edit: Be sure you flash to the right board type for some reason I keep wantin' to flash to the nf3 bios's.!

I'm going to guess it could be a ram issue if your temps on the cpu are fine, wouldn't think that'd burn out anywhere near that quick.

After clearing the CMOS for 10-20 minutes or so, I'd try each stick by itself to see if it works, might as well run memtest also. Try different slots too, some people have better luck with the yellow slots as opposed to orange.

You should also load optimized defaults, then manually enter in your timings and voltage for your ram. Might also want to manually select 1:1 to begin with, maybe its just me but I prefer not using the Auto function even at stock-and sometimes it turns out this works better.

Flashing a new bios might help as well, though i don't know about the 'pulling the plug' procedure outlined by clay...Try a couple of them out, some work better than others for different people.

Dan's right about checkin' the memory.Before doin' any flashin'. After a good cmos clear. Memtest each stick one atta' time. In the orange slot furthest from the cpu. you could have cooked a stick even @ low volts sometimes they pop.And yes some poeple have better luck with diffrent slots. If the memory test ok. But the problem keeps getting worse. Check the wires. If you run outta' things it's not then you know what it is.

Edit: Beside's bad memory. Restarts can be causes by low voltage. You might check your Bios "PC health" and see if yer' psu is up to snuff according the board sensor.(It may have decided to go on the fritz abit early)

http://www.logan.eclipse.co.uk/dfi_ui___lpb_faq.htm

"The following procedure is a must for non corruption on your Bios Rom: After a Flash unplug the power cord to the computer to completely power down. Clear the CMOS jumper for 30 seconds. Power the computer back on, and immediately go into the BIOS and choose "Load Failsafe Defaults" or "Load Optimized" Save and Exit. Immediately after reboot, go back into the BIOS and configure your setup how you like.

Or if you prefer:

Official DFI way for clearing Bios: Always remember to completely power down the board by removing the computer's power cable or the motherboard's ATX power block plug before clearing the CMOS jumper. This is straight from DFI.

Every time you flash to a new bios, it is very important to clear the old BIOS settings out this way:

1. Pull the power supply at the wall.

2. Remove the CMOS battery.

3. Clear the CMOS jumper for a minimum of 30-60 seconds.

4. Replace the CMOS jumper to the normal position.

5. Replace the CMOS battery.

6. Re-connect the power supply at the wall.

7. Boot to the Bios Configuration Screen and load ”Optimized Defaults”.

8. Save and Exit.

9. Boot back to Bios Configuration Screen and change the settings to your liking.

Clearing CMOS after a flash helps clear any old settings in the BIOS that might conflict with the new BIOS codes."

Sidenotes: I allway do a long cmos clear though. And after a flash I usually won't let it fully repost til I have done all of thee the above. (I do let it reset (Sorta')Then I suddenly pull the Plug!!LOL) Actually I felt w/a semi corrupt bios.I felt it was important to not let it repost at all.. I didn't want it loading the irq tables at all because that seemed to be the problem area. I needed to clear everything that could be cleared before it could rewrite the problems back.. And with the troubles it was starting to give ,it coulda' wrote just about anything. It's ok now :)

I just did a 15 minute CMOS clear. Still the same thing. The weird thing is, after I did the 15 min CMOS clear, the DFI Lanparty logo didn't come up (as I had turned it off prior). Is that normal, or is it supposed to be at factory setting, with the logo on?

Anyone know if Fry's sells DFI Lanparty Ultra-Ds? Might just go there and pick one up just to see if it works.

I'd double-check ryder's settings once again. All of them. Perhaps one got accidentally changed during testing.

Also - make sure you're running your RAM on a divider. Don't leave it at 200 1:01 (Thats what RyderOCZ's settings tell you to use), that ram doesn't clock very high. If you're running CAS2, you can't expect much more than 210mhz. Mine only do about 206mhz at CAS2.

I run 300x9=2700 with 165 and exactly the same RAM (though you don't list your stepping). I use the 7/10 divider.

TIWVEL! I LOVE YOU! you were absolutely right, i switched the divider from Ryder's 200 setting down to 7:10. How much slower is my RAM if i keep it at 7:10 instead of the 1:1? I'm getting marks of 60xx in the memory bandwidth benchmark for sisoft sandra, which isn't too bad.

Ryder's information strayed me a little.

Thanks again Twivel.

TIWVEL! I LOVE YOU! you were absolutely right, i switched the divider from Ryder's 200 setting down to 7:10. How much slower is my RAM if i keep it at 7:10 instead of the 1:1? I'm getting marks of 60xx in the memory bandwidth benchmark for sisoft sandra, which isn't too bad.

Thanks again Twivel.

Here a little proggy that'll figure that out for ya. it's called "memfreq v1.1"

Download it here: http://www.short-media.com/download.php?dc=72

I'm sure glad it's workin' now. And it wasn't what I thought it was....... Cas2!LOL

Thanks again Twivel.

Glad I could help. For a rough estimate (this doesn't take into account rounding down to a ratio of CPU frequency) you can take your HTT speed and multiply it by the divider used. For me, my HTT(FSB) is 300, so 300* 7/10 = 210. If you want to be precise, you have to follow the overclock guide though. End result is that my ram is running a bit under 210mhz, so I'm not underclocking my RAM at all.

Yeah, according to the math, my memory should be running at 241.67mhz x2 when it's actually running at 233mhz x2. I suggest looking at a zCPU or other program to get your actual memory speed.