dual core question????

i was reading on a gaming forum, and one guy was spouting on about some games needing to be set to run on one core of a dualcore processor to avoid crashes, and recommended this app :

http://www.mlin.net/SMPSeesaw.shtml

to assign "affinities" for diffrent processes and programs--basically assigning them to a core. anyway, i havent gamed enough on the new system to notice any problems but can anyone tell me if theres anything to this or its just malarchy :)

*Cough* Bull**** *cough*

I've had an X2 for almost a year now and have not seen any problems in any of the games I play on a DC. As long as you have the switch /usepmtimer in your boot.ini, then you will be fine. Windows does a very good job of assigning processes itself.

Guest GripS

Yes. There is truth to setting Affinity to one core to make a game run better.

I tested this with CS:S video stress test. When assigning affinity to 1 core before running the test I was able to achieve significantly higher average FPS then without setting affinity.

Check this out:http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=983781

hmm..just checked, yes i do have that switch but god help me if i know how it got there hehe. is that switch somthing that might help my notebook p4 to? anyway, guess i'l file13 that seesaw thing...oops, just saw ur post GripS, i guess i WILL be experimenting with that after all, thanx :rolleyes:

it is basically like this..if you are experiencing the problems (most do) some dont...

then go ahead and try out the x2 drivers as well as the dual core hotfix... u can always uninstall them if necessary

It's a weird bug thing. I think I read at Xtremesystems (though don't quote) it affects the E4 cores far more than E6 (quite how so, I don't know). I have never experienced any gaming problems with my Toledo (E6) with the /usepmtimer switch, but I installed the hotfix anyway and still see no problem.

Games I play:

HL2, CS:S, DOD:S, FarCry, CoD2, UT2004 umm those are the current main ones.

I've never experienced any problems with mine. I have the hotfix and x2 drivers installed. I've never had to set any games' affinity manually, and when I do for testing, it makes no difference that I've seen.