I cant seem to get over the 2.6 hump

goonbug

Generally a lower multiplier requires less voltage - I understand the voltage generally relates to the CPU speed, and a lower multiplier = less speed.

I'm going to make a thread on it later today, but for me 2.6ghz is it (and 2.65ghz isn't happening), and I need some of the more skilled people here to run their eye over my settings and see if I've missed anything.

yeah i got the same problem. i can hit 2.6 no prob. but i cant seem to get any more out of my system.

angry if youre reading this, i can get 2.7 stable for about an hour and half with 1.69 volts to cpu and 1.30 going to htt. any increases dont seem to help and i know that my ram cant run the 270 fsb 1/1 so i usually up the multi to 11 and st the fsb to 246. the ram runs at 2.8v like ocz steve said to do! so im pretty sure its a htt or a proc instability thats causing prime 95 to crash.

htt/ldt x4 at a 246 fsb with a 11 multi <-------unstable

cpu= 2.709 at 1.69 (clawhammer)

If you guys need to know all the settings ill post later!

thanx for all the help soo far!

In your first post you said that you ran this cpu @ 2.7 on your ASUS board, assuming that it was prime stable. Now, run the same settings, with a bit more tweaking, take the ram out of the equation and you should not have any problems getting the cpu stable because like you said, it can do it. Now as soon as you have that taken care of try the link that I gave, I know it is not at 270 but at least you have something to work with and just tweak it out a bit more. If that does not work look throuhg the OCDB for any entry with the same ram no matter the cpu type and try it out, it will not work the first time but if you tweak it out it will work.

In your first post you said that you ran this cpu @ 2.7 on your ASUS board, assuming that it was prime stable. Now, run the same settings, with a bit more tweaking, take the ram out of the equation and you should not have any problems getting the cpu stable because like you said, it can do it. Now as soon as you have that taken care of try the link that I gave, I know it is not at 270 but at least you have something to work with and just tweak it out a bit more. If that does not work look throuhg the OCDB for any entry with the same ram no matter the cpu type and try it out, it will not work the first time but if you tweak it out it will work.

I shouldnt have said that! I dont know if it was prime stable i never tested it for longer than 5 hours! sorry for the lack of info!

one question, what is the cpu thermal/ throttle option do in the advanced bios options? its set to 50% at the moment. which is what the board set it at!

OK. Now, disablel throttle on bios, it will limit your cpu. I have a 3500+ and I have been able to get it to 2.55 1:1 with my very picky Corsair. Knowing that you have a better system with the OCZ, I think you can get better results. Just follow the OC'ing guide and I promise you it will not be a disappointing result. Here is the guide. Good luck. Just be patient and do it right the first time, it will not be easy.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...167&postcount=3

Here is a reference for your OCZ after you have found the limit of your cpu.

http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showpost....546&postcount=6

I gonna disable the throttle, but what exactly does it do? does it throttle down the cpu under load or is it active in the idle state?

also my cpu has never gone above 55'c even at 1.72. its a clawhammer its supposed to go that high. ask angry if you dont believe me. also im using a zalman flower to cool it, and i have a 12 cm fan blowing constantly on the zalman! its not exactly quiet but it gets the job done!

anyway thanx for all the posts guys. I really appreciate it. no I really reallly do, Im not being sarcastic. If this was the gamespot forum than I would be sarcastic, but thats because gamespot is for arguements!

PS dont post at gamespot its a waste of your time and talent!

I lowered the fsb to 246(2.706) and raised the multi to 11. I set the ht multi to 4 and lowered the ldt voltage back to 1.20 and raised the cpu voltage to 1.68.

this setting has been testing on prime for a couple hours now ( 9:15 pm pacific time). the ram is running at the recomended stock setting that ocz steve posted.

I havent had this setting pass for longer than 12 hrs so ill see tommorrow if its realy stable. Ill also run the prime 95 test in the windows environment if my proc passes over 18 hours in the free dos.

ps. has any 1 ever heard of a athlon 64 3200 running at 3.2? Some kid on gamespot is claiming that his rig is running that speed.

another interesting thing to try.....

try placing your ram in different colored slots (if theyre in orange now, place them in yellow, etc).

on my 3000+ it wouldnt go past 2.3ghz unless i switched the OCZ ram to the yellow slots (even though most guides say it SHOULD be in orange).

just thought id give u some other options. :)

cz