I cant seem to get over the 2.6 hump

I cant seem to get over the 2.6 hump on expert board. Its not the board though its the user.

athlon 64 3500+ (clawhammer)fsb 260 with the multiplier at 10 voltage is 1.525

ocz gold gxt OCZ5002048ELGEGXT-K ( its at a fsb of 260 right now going 1/1)

cas=3

ras/cas=4

ras pre=3

tras=8

trc=15

dram idle timer=16

the rest of the mem timmings are set to auto (because I am a newb)

ocz powerstream 520w (yes its hooked up right)

I have run mem test for a couple hours at a fsb 270 1/1 and the mem seemed to pass just fine but when i reboot and run mersienne prime test it fails after five minutes everytime. i have oveclcked this cpu to 2.7 on my old asus so I know that the proc will do it.( I had to use a 333 divider on the asus board, they had a flaw that wouldnt let mem run over a 240 fsb 1/1)

Keep your RAM at lowest divider to make sure the cause isnt there, then search for the max of your cpu. What's your LDT ratio set to @ 270 htt? Maybe increase chipset and LDT volts a notch for added stability when youre way off the 2000Mhz htt bus.

im not using a divider on the ram. also how much voltage to the ldt and chipset is too much? Ive never these voltage settings before so im kinda sketchy about fying this new mobo( i love this expert btw)

I would start with reading the overclocking guide here. I built my first DFI machine a little over a month ago (see sig) and had issues reaching 260 1:1.

First thing it recommends is to drop the HTT multiplier and set a ram divider. I did this. Then to start upping the HT speed on the CPU to purely test out the CPU. This let me hit 2.6Ghz on stock volts, which was what I was aiming for.

Once I had done that I began to play with my memory and put the CPU on a low multiplier, to make sure it wasn't that causing me problems. I kept trying and trying, so many settings to play with!! Until I came across the TCCD guide (the chips my geil memory is based on) and changed to settings to those recommended for DDR600. Bingo! 260 straight away.

Haven't tried for anymore as I'm happy with stock volts prime95 stable for 24 hours. It's worth finding out what the chips are on your OCZ (Infineon or Samsung UCCC) to see if there are any owners with similar memory that can share their experiences.

But reading the guide is the best advice I can give you. Oh yeah, and to not give up - DFI makers tweakers boards after all!!

Matt

P.S. good point lawrywild - make sure your HTT multiplier is set low, it won't affect your benchmark scores but will affect your stability if you go much over 1000Mhz (like 5x 260Mhz for instance!)

sup guys! I finally have read all of the overclocking guides. :drool: and I think i picked up about %50 of what they had to say. so i changed all my htt settings= 270 fsb x3 htt/ldt at 1.3v. the processor has 1.67v going to it. (this setting failed)

246fsb/x4 htt/ldt with the proc running on a x11 and 1.67v going to it.(setting failed)

i tried using a divider on the ram and setting the htt back and running the proc at 2.7 and I let it run for 6 hours. the proc ran without failure. next i tested the ram at those speeds by throttling back the proc and htt and running the ram at ddr 540 by using a divider. the ram ran for 8-10 hours without failing.

what am I doing wrong? the ram and proc seem stable at this speed by themselves but once i tighten the system up the thing fails after 1 hour and 15 min every time!

also if anyone has a ram timmings table for gold gxt id love to take a look at it!

thanx for the link. but i dont think its the ram thats holding the overclock back. I think that it is the proc that is holding everything back.

athlon 64 3500 (clawhammer)

how much voltage is too much voltage for the ldt/htt and how much is too much for that proc?

I've got that ram and have trouble with much over the rated speed, so don't be too sure.

1.67v is too much for the CPU. I won't go over 1.6v, and try to stick to 1.5v for everyday use.

If you've verified that 270x10 is ok for the CPU, and that the ram will do at least 250, try:

HTT 270

Multiplier 10x

Voltage whatever it takes for that 270x10 to be ok

Ram divider at 9/10 (the 180)

You should be able to get that stable if I've understood what you say so far.