Sign in to follow this  
GooN3r

DFI Temps, how I beat them!!! [Pics inc]

I have spent some time trying to lower my computers temps, at their worst I was getting an idle and load PWMIC and chipset temp of around the 45 and 50c respectively. I know this is acceptable for alot of people but it’s too hot for me.

After a bit of work, lowering the LDT volts back to stock and changing my HSF I managed to lower them to around 37cpu, 44pwmic and 45 Chipset idle. However after gaming for a while (1hour +) they were creeping up again to around 47c mark. To solve this I modded the side panel of my Cooler Master Stacker case to allow a 120mm fan to blow directly across the PWMIC area and ram. In addition to this I reversed the HDD cade housing an internal 120mm so I blew directly across the chipset/pwmic arse. Here are some pics of what I have done:

Mounting120mm.jpg

Side120mm.jpg

Reverseinternal120mm.jpg

After doing this I replaced the side grill, I then ran 3dmark 06 (I Know its not the most intensive bench mark but it gives an indication of the effect of the new 120mm side fan)) Here are the results:

With Side Fan

CPU PWMIC Chipset

Idle 30 29 37

Test 1 38 34 43

Test 2 38 36 43

Test 3 39 39 44

Test 4 39 40 44

Test 5 38 38 44

Test 6 38 38 45

Without Side Fan

CPU PWMIC Chipset

Idle 31 33 40

Test 1 38 37 42

Test 2 39 40 43

Test 3 40 42 44

Test 4 42 43 43

Test 5 38 41 43

Test 6 38 41 44

These were done late at night so I have included a pic of my temps as I type this:

Temps.jpg

It seems to have worked for me so I thought I would share it with you as I have seen an ever increasing number of posts about these temps.

nice mod but how is the air traveling around and out of the case?

Does the case have good flow or is it too open.

The purpose of case fans are not only to cool, but also to create a positive airflow inside of a case.

This setup essentially eliminates any pressure, though the results are hard to argue with.

The purpose of case fans are not only to cool, but also to create a positive airflow inside of a case.

This setup essentially eliminates any pressure, though the results are hard to argue with.

Good point, but I have been working on that. I have added a 3rd 120mm intake and mounted the hdd drives (2xWD Raptors) in the bottom cage. To remove the warm air I have use a single 80mm fan, fixed to the bottom of the case below the graphics card. I have also removed the backing plate at the rear of the case in between the GTX and XFi. The temps seem nice and low, so I have upped the CPU volts to 1.325x110%. Still using the 5:4 mem divider I have set the HTT255x11-2808Mhz. The mem timings are 2-3-3-5. Prime stable for 5hours so far.

Plus I have an 80mm extraction fan mounted on the top of the case, removing the warm air collected in the dead spot around the PSU.

Just to clarify all three front 120mm are intake fans!!!!! AND I have replaced the side grill, its only open to allow me to take the pic

If you replaced that stock chipset HS with something better, your temps on it would be lower. Also your gonna have issues with dust.