Sign in to follow this  
Shadowdogg

Help again please

ARE all Power connectors plugged in? 1 long beep might be the power to the graphics card. do you have an ide drive to try to boot into to eliminate sata?

Continueing from other thread but no i dont have anything to use instead for hard drive.

It seems to be mainly the hard drive as it just doesn't like it at start it just stuck on that screeb

Guest SuppA-SnipA

ram has to be in the same colored banks, so stick 1 in orange stick 2 in orange

There is NO reason to start another thread; WHEN you already have one started that is about the same problem. You could have posted in the original and written ONLY BUMP, if you needed someone to take another look. NObody likes chasing theads all over the forum to find out what you have been posting about already.

Here is where you still are. You don't know how to remove a battery. Since you cannot remove the battrey; you may very well find it hard to fully and completely clear the CMOS on the board you bought. Improper maybe but TRUE.

So with the condition you are in you are 'stuck'. Everything about a hard drive is probably just a crap symptom appearing because the board does not want to BOOT UP anyway.

UnhOOk the hard drive power and data cable. All of these connecting and un-connecting done with NO power to the power supply from the wall outlet. Then with NO hard drive or CD/Rom or anything hooked up but 1 stick of memory in the Orange slot futherest from the cpu (of course cpu and video card still hooked up). See if you can boot to bios by holding down the insert key while starting the boot process. IF you cannot get into the bios then you HAVE issues not related to any hard drive.

As for the simple task of removing the battery there is a small standing up yellow plastic piece part of the battery holder and right where that standing yellow piece is > there is also a small metal tab sticking up. Hard to see but the small metal piece is the metal retainer that when pushed gently toward the yellow stickup, yo will see the battery release and popup silightly on the edge closest to the yellow standing extension and metal release tab. Pressure to release the metal tab is applies 'parallel' with the board not DOWN unto the board.

I have never seen pics anywhere on the net about removing a battery. So I don't know how to write it any simplier to describe removal of battery. Any of you other guys make a better description> have at it. H*ll I will even copy someone else's description and keep it if the description tells it better.

I am going to go see if google has any better battery removal description but I have doubts since it is really rather one of those things that are just sort of normal. Gone looking.

RGone...

UnhOOk the hard drive power and data cable. All of these connecting and un-connecting done with NO power to the power supply from the wall outlet. Then with NO hard drive or CD/Rom or anything hooked up but 1 stick of memory in the Orange slot futherest from the cpu (of course cpu and video card still hooked up). See if you can boot to bios by holding down the insert key while starting the boot process. IF you cannot get into the bios then you HAVE issues not related to any hard drive.

As you know from the other thread, it does work when i remove the Hard Drive connections but doesn't when i re-enter the Hard Drive...

I am beginning to think its a faulty HD or some setting wrong. I think it did boot up with the four serial ATA ports supported by the silicon image sil 3114 chip but didnt recognise the drive.. any ideas?

http://hardware.gotfrag.com/portal/forums/thread/194096/ Second poster down has minor description of battery removal. In his post is this 'link' showing a picture of what he is describing. http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/5936/battery9ul.jpg That link worked 5 mins ago as I just checked it since the original post is not very old. It shows a black battery holder where yours is yellow but the battery holders are the same type.

Now with that pic to more easily illustrate how the battery comes out> go see if you can remove the battery and let us know.

RGone...

Uh..., you just push the metal clip thing back towards the edge of the battery holder ^^ ???

I know it can be fussy, but it'll pop up a tiny bit allowing you to pull up on it to get it out.

(NM RG got it before I finished :) )

Normall it would pop up all the way, on my board it does'nt though, same battery holders so it's possible your is like this as well.

Now I don't know why people allways think that clearing the cmos and everything else is the solution...

I know clearing the cmos is a good idea sometimes, but pulling the battery just for this?

I would of thaught that it was hardrive's causing the issue right off the bat anyways, matter of fact I did before I read it was something to do with his hd's.

:rolleyes:

Anyways likely causes of this are:

Jumpers on the hd's, wrong cable setup.

Stupid hardrive.

Stupid hardrive controller.

I'm sure the last 2 are probaly not the cause, at least the hd controllers is'nt.

I'm not sure about sata really but...

Some hd's don't like jumpers, some like 2 jumpers, some like cable select.

Otherwise you got the normal master and slave settings.

Cable wise, pertaining to ide, some hd's like being at the end, some at the 1st connector.

Even if it's a master or slave, like I said, some can be fussy with cables.

I know why now, because of latency, if they can't handle low latency, they'll need ot be on the end or need a longer cable.

Most drives are not like this these days, my udma33 cdrw is however, it's a tad bit fussy about low latency.

None of my hd's are nor is my dvdrw.

If you're using sata, then it's not likely that.

But I do know there is some sort of jumpers on them, but I really don't no much about them.

So it's either commen sence you need to use when setting them up, or you need to go about it with trial and error.

If the hd is about dead, then you'll have this issue regardless ^^.

Or if it's fussy about to low of latency, it'll doit to.

Or.., if it's fighting another drive on the same controller, it'll doit(crosstalk).

So it's a seagate huh...

I was gonna say, if it's a maxtor, trash it.

However..., I am afraid that drive is likely dead on arival :(, DOA.

RMA it dude, or trash it.

I mean, if you know how to setup the jumpers right for it, which should not be a big deal in this day and age, then I am betting the hd is dead.

The bios thing is obvious.

The sata controlelr thing, when you swapped controllers and one detects it but hardlocks, and the other don't.

This is pretty much a sure sign.

Well i tried that cmos clearing with battery gone - with little success coming from it.

When i enter it in sata 1-4 it doesn't even let me get past the first screen, however, when i put it in SATA 5-8 (usies the silicon image sil 3114 chip) still doesn't actually detect it or i dont know a way to install it.

What i thought i had to do was press F4 on that screen and/or at windows installation install it by pressing F6 and it did nothing.

:'(

Well i think ive done everything in the book - im gonna try and test it out on another PC to see what happens and hopefully its just the hard drive and not the entire board.

Thanks for all the support

Hey man, i took a look at your pict. someone has asked if all the power connectors were plugged in(post 25, i didn't see a reply to that question), from your pict i see two power connections that are not plugged in, 1) the molex connector located near yout chipset fan header, and 2) the 5 volt floppy connector the is inbetween your cpu and the pci slots. those should help out alot. (that is if you still don't have them connected)link with picts http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showpost.p...734&postcount=3