Advice on Graphic Card for Photoshop

johndl

Selected most of what I want for my current rebuild, but how to do I select a Graphics Card to do justice to the spec in my sig? It will be mainly for use with Photoshop and Nikon Capture, not gaming. PCI express, must have DVI out. Is that right that there is no advantage to on board memory greater than 128MB? Any that are specifically build for 2D work? The Sapphire Radeon X800GTO 512MB DDRII looks good value, but will all that memory be used? Thanks, John

Any card should really do you to be honest for 2D work. You will get those which will aruge the toss over image quality between Matrox, ATi and nVidia but with a good selection of monitor and driver calibration tools out there you should easily be able to get your desired colour depth etc.

No, all of that memory will not be used and is a waste of time on such a card (well for gaming anyway) being as 512mb of vRam only comes into play at large resolutions for games, where the processing power of the GPU will lack anyhows.

Old gen 2d cards had up to 256m I think.

Never had one though.

The best 2d card I know of is the tnt based cards.

Anyways...

A radeon will do.

Higher quality, nvidia, with dvi of course.

Even higher quality and more speed, nvidia, tnt, but no dvi.

It's not a huge diffrence when it comes to 2d really comparing ati and nvidia.

Color diff's mostly.

The fastest 2d on nvidia was done on the old tnt's though.

So in actual, you can't really go wrong with anything you find out there at all.

I hyeard matrox does allright 2d, but I really have no clue, I don't have one nor have any experience these days with those.

Your use is the same as mine, except I don’t use PS, I use Paint Shop Pro and Nikon Capture. From some excellent info in another thread, I chose the one in my sig. It made a lot of sense to me from my original choice of the eVGA GeForce 6800 256MB, and shaved $50 off the cost of the card.

Thanks for all the replies, very helpful.

wingspar, the main difference that I could see between the 6800 and 7300 is the amount of connections. The 7300 seems to be what I'm looking for. Do you still have the link to the other thread you mention, sounds like there's some good info there?

Here it is. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,15670721 There is an unregistered user that goes by asdfdfdf who gave me the info on the 7300 towards the bottom of the thread. I don’t know why he posts anonymously, cause he always has some of the best level headed info to share of all the people that post in that forum. He swung me over to the 7300 with his post in this thread, as it just made sense for my use.

thanks again wingspar.

Had a hunt round here in the UK and eVGA not so easy to get, at least from where I usually buy from. Will probably go for either the Gainward or the XFX GeForce 7300GS. They're much the same price, not sure if there's any advantage of one over the over?

Until this post of yours, I hadn’t heard of FXF cards, but somewhere here at the Street I saw where they are one of the recommended cards for DFI boards, but for the life of me, I can not find that again. Roughly $16 cheaper than the eVGA version at the Egg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814150128 Can anyone recommend or share experiences with the FXF cards?

Hi Guys,

Well I have never really seen a post like this before where people were more interested in the 2D side of GFX cards... any modern card will do you... heck an ATi X1300 Pro will work for you guys ! ! or did you want it to be ViVo?

Local Memory sizes onboard the gfx card are not really an issue for 2D work, with PhotoShop its more important to have larger system memory such as 2gig main memory and a good sized page file if you use a page file.

As for the talk about image quality, yes the gfx card does control the overal look on the screen (resolution/DPi), image quality when capturing screenshots in game or desktop images are not that imprortant as you are creating / importing your own directly in the applications, but its the render engine in Photoshop where the magic happens not the hardware used to simply relay that image onto the screen.

It is important as you know, to ensure proper calibration of your screen and printing hardware for the correct output for print/media.