Sign in to follow this  
xtermin8or

The onboard audio. Same sound in all speakers from HL2

I just bought a DFI Lan Party UT nF3 250GB and I see that on the back it says

"8ch Audio technology based on Realtek 850 8ch Audio codec

192Khz high definition Audio specification providing dynamic high

quality audio, Like dolby 7.1 and THX.

*Advancing the game and DVD sound effects.

*S/PDIF function included. "

That leads me to believe that if i use the Coaxial out on it and hook the computer up to my Z5500D 5.1 speakers i can get 5.1 sound right?? I set the audio properties in HL2 to 5.1 but same sound out of every speaker.

Heres a pic of the back of my mobo:

d4522201cout24dy.jpg

Shouldnt i be getting 5.1 from HL2?? Oh, and also ive done the 5.1 speaker test in CSS and im getting same sound from every speaker. Help anyone??

Oh and soemone told me coaxial only gives 2 channels of sound and i should use the analog ports. So i plugged in the green orange and black wires in the ports and same thing....

Thanks in advance :)

I reccommend a cheap soundblaster card or equivalent. I never use onboard sound as it tends to use more cpu cycles than I like to allow for audio. You can setup your audio anyway you like and less system resources are used doing so that way.

I use the coax out all the time. You only get 5.1 sound when your material is 5.1. You have to configure your software to give you 5.1. I have used powerdvd, windvd, dscaler 5, mpc, etc. They can all play output 5.1, but each one of them needs to be configured.

What he said if the media you are listening to is not recorded to play 5.1 you won't get 5.1 and what ever program you are useing to play back it has to be set to play 5.1 LOL

the thing is HL2 can be set in the audio menu to play 5.1. And it doesnt do that. I put the green wire in the grey, the orange in orange and the black in black and i dont get any sond from the front left and right. just the rears , centre and sub. and the rears sound the same. Shouldnt my motherboard decode the signal??? ami doing something wrong here?

Ok i put the green in green as well, and the same thing, though in the nvidia audio test thing i get the correct sounds. from each speaker. HL2 has a audio test for 5.1 sound and its stuffed in there....

I'm using the onboard sound aswell at the moment and it isnt as good as i thought it would be, but its ok for my sound requirements for now anyway.