SATA optical drives?

Mr Evil

I am considering buying a SATA DVD burner to replace my current one so that I can eliminate one more bulky IDE cable. However, I have heard that there may be compatibility problems with some motherboards/chipsets. Will one work with an NF3 250Gb?

#1 that link in your sig is not gonna cut here. You must list your hardware or proposed hardware as we have no time to go clicking outside links to see what is in your system

this is not intended to be rude or mean to you in any way, it is just how it is, and we are strict on this rule for a very good reason (and if you read the rules, you will see the reason explained)

Please fix this before you do any more posting

now

to answer your question...SATA optical drives are ok I guess...but I personally still avoid them 100% as they are just not mature yet in my opinion, and they are just not really good options for systems at this time.

some others might disagree and say SATA drives are perfect etc, but you'll see from the sigs of users here that 99% of them use IDE optical drives (and most go with the LiteOn or NEC dvd-rw drives that are about $35-$45 US dollars as they are the best bang for the buck)

as for a SATA optical drive on the NF3 250 specifically...not a good choice (we've got a SATA optical in the office and the NF3 and NF4 DFI boards have fits with them for us, however a couple of users here have gotten the Plextors to work...but there again, the PLextors are like $100-ish and the IDE NEC/LiteON is less than half that price!)

I am considering buying a SATA DVD burner to replace my current one so that I can eliminate one more bulky IDE cable. However, I have heard that there may be compatibility problems with some motherboards/chipsets. Will one work with an NF3 250Gb?

First I agree with the previous post as they are tempermental, I have a plextor, at first it didn't want to read CD's. BUt would DVD's, it's a combo drive...........but its working now, its nice, because I am trying to get away from IDE cables.

You can check my sig for my hardware, if you want to spend 100$, its up to you, I paid 89 for my 716SA, but I had a rebate at X-mas. I will vouce for Plextors, they are good drives, but only if you can afford it, if not go with lesser priced drives mentioned