Changing CPU multi won't apply?

I'm testing out the RMA I got back from DFI. The board is Rev. AD0. I have a 2400+ Mobile in the board, and changing the multi does not seem to be working. I will set FSB to 200mhz and multi to 11, but rebooting the machine shows the CPU running at 1200mhz, which means the default mobile multi of 6 is still being applied.

I've reflashed to 11/24 BIOS and loaded optimized defaults with no luck. Has anyone had this problem?

I never had a stuck multi,but had stuck FSB on a LP b and an Infiniho,both were locked at @133.

The Infiniho came to me used like this,

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/sho...&highlight=saga

While I was trying to find a cure,all of a sudden the trusty old LP b won't boot one mourning and when I finally get it going,Shazzam,exact same prob.

Now no one had even heard of this happening b4 so I contact AG and he says send it in to him,well even he couldn't fix it (been workin on newer products too long)said it corrupted his bios chip instantly,so he sent it back and told me to just send it to DFI.

I had one last trick up me sleeve,which was I figured something had gotten into the zif socket and was causing a short,so I took it apart and when I put it back together,Shazzam it was working again

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...&highlight=tale

Guest Darien
I never had a stuck multi,but had stuck FSB on a LP b and an Infiniho,both were locked at @133.

The Infiniho came to me used like this,

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/sho...&highlight=saga

While I was trying to find a cure,all of a sudden the trusty old LP b won't boot one mourning and when I finally get it going,Shazzam,exact same prob.

Now no one had even heard of this happening b4 so I contact AG and he says send it in to him,well even he couldn't fix it (been workin on newer products too long)said it corrupted his bios chip instantly,so he sent it back and told me to just send it to DFI.

I had one last trick up me sleeve,which was I figured something had gotten into the zif socket and was causing a short,so I took it apart and when I put it back together,Shazzam it was working again

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread...&highlight=tale

SHAZZAM!!!

damn way to go dude! that's persistence paying off right there... I would quit... or taken a hammer to it... Good Job :)

Well, I tried a long CMOS clear (6 hours or so), and no change. Interestingly, the CPU now displays as "06A0" instead of "AthlonXP so-and-so" or "Unknown CPU." I'm going to try taking apart the socket, thanks for the idea.

[edit]I tried just blowing air into the socket, both locked and unlocked, but unfortunately no change. I was a little wary about popping the socket apart. Do you have pics of this procedure?

I did notice, however, that two pins next each other on the bottom of the PCB (underside of ZIF socket) are discolored, and there appears to be some residue connecting the two of them. The pins don't appear to be related to any of the standard wire mods. I'll look up the exact pins with AMD's documentation tomorrow.

Attached are some close-up shots of the pins in question. They appear to be discolored and have more solder on them than the rest of the pins. There is also some slight residue between them that may be bridging them. They appear to be pins E37 (SDATA[22]#) and D36 (VSS). Anyone know what these pins are for and what bridging them might do?

I was leery as well about popping the top off the socket,after much researching,I couldn't find any pics.

I finally found an old MB and just practiced on it 'til I felt comfortable,when I did it for real on the Sistahs,I had no probs

It seems as if the rma's you get back are'nt the orignal board you sent in, at least it's leaning towards this.

From what I gather so far is that they fix someon else's mobo, then throw it in the pile to send out to the next person on the list.

They take in your's, and do the same and it goes off to someone else.

Not sure though.

:

I think there's clips on the end of the socket, but I really don't know.

I got spare boards and all, but I've never tried it.

Double post...

I just did it successfully on 2 socket a mobo's.

2 diff socket brand types or whatever.

Anyways some have clips on 3 ends, some just 2.

Both are somewhat of a pain to get off.

When it's all said and done, make sure the pins will be level and stuff liek that, in case you have extra plastic sticking up from trying to push out tabs, make sure it does'nt rise up a bit on to of the socket.

You'll need from1-2 eye glass like flat head screw drivers.

Can you buy these btw?

At least the top for them.

Both of the boards I did this to would work again, but it does'nt look like new.

loggan26: Yes I've tried flashing the BIOS and a long CMOS clear. No change there. The pins may not even be the problem, it's just something I noticed, so I may be barking up the wrong tree here entirely.

NEOAethyr: DFI's RMA process includes repair OR replacement of the motherboard. I knew from the outset that this was not the same board that I sent them, because they specifically told me that they were sending a different board to me. The purpose of this is to save the customer time. The cause of my original board's failure turned out to be physical damage to the southbridge (presumeably while removing the heatsink); replacing the damaged component would have taken longer than shipping me a different board. I have no problem with this at all, as long as the board works. Unfortunately in this case, it is not working properly.

I will attempt to remove the top half of the ZIF socket on my dead ASUS A7N8X when I get a chance, but I will make sure to have worked out other possibilities with DFI's RMA department before attempting it on the LPB.

I'm curious, as well, if you can buy these sockets somewhere. I've noticed that the socket is a slightly different design between revisions AA0 and AD0 (the two boards that I currently have).