Sign in to follow this  
Joey Jeremiah

Need some SERIOUS help with my new build

UPDATE:

SILVERSTONE TJ-03 Silver Aluminum front Mid Tower Case

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 Ultra-D ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Opteron 165

SAPPHIRE 100149 Radeon X1900XT 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - OEM

OCZ Gold Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 500 (PC 4000) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model OCZ5002048ELGE-K - Retail

250 GB Seagate Barracuda

ZALMAN CNPS7000B-AlCu LED 2 Ball Blue LED Light Cooling Fan/Heatsink

OCZ PowerStream OCZ520ADJSLI ATX, BTX, EPS12V 520W Power Supply - Retail

the only outstanding questions are:

1. HD ok? sata? what kind of setup?

2. will all of this be compatible with each other

3. at stock, with no overclocking, will this be ok for high speed gaming?

1. its ok.. but i would get a higher end mobo (40 bucks upgrade to the cheapest sli-dr, or you could buy a refurbed one for around the same price i believe) for the SATA II and raid a few 80gb hitachis..

on a side note id use an xp-90 hs with a panaflo flan.

2. yes

3. it should power you pretty well.. just take some time to oc, ie move the fsb up by 40 or so, its guaranteed without a voltage change. i can bet 2.4 is without a voltage change either.

1. its ok.. but i would get a higher end mobo (40 bucks upgrade to the cheapest sli-dr, or you could buy a refurbed one for around the same price i believe) for the SATA II and raid a few 80gb hitachis..

on a side note id use an xp-90 hs with a panaflo flan.

2. yes

3. it should power you pretty well.. just take some time to oc, ie move the fsb up by 40 or so, its guaranteed without a voltage change. i can bet 2.4 is without a voltage change either.

if i buy 1 SATA HD now, can i buy another one later and mirror it? or, in order to mirror the drives, i would have to have them all prior to installation?

any other comments on video cards? looking at placing this order later tonight.

If i were you i would get the SLI-DR.

Then i would drop the pc power and cooling and get the OCZ 600 watt powerstream SLI edition.

With the extra money you save from that monstrous pc power and cooling, i would get 2 7900 gt/x's.

if i buy 1 SATA HD now, can i buy another one later and mirror it? or, in order to mirror the drives, i would have to have them all prior to installation?

any other comments on video cards? looking at placing this order later tonight.

as long as its identical. dunno, never done raid b4. i think you have to have 2 to mirror.

opteron 170, drop the power supply for a powerstream 520, get an expert, perhaps sli some 7900gts, 7900gtxes if budget allows.

also use the xp-90.. i dont know if the artic cooler freezer pro 64 or the xp-90 is better but all in all their both great coolers.

1. no not really...a lot of people say the Opterons overclock higher, and I can believe it since Opterons are AMD's sugar-babies...the high-end server chips, and are usually a higher quality silicon...but not always. Other than that, all Opterons are 1MB L2 cache per core, while some A64's are only 512k.

Isn't the memory controller on the Opty CPUs different than the ones in X2 & FX? (To be able to run more than 4GB and ECC memory...)

1. no not really...a lot of people say the Opterons overclock higher' date=' and I can believe it since Opterons are AMD's sugar-babies...the high-end server chips, and are usually a higher quality silicon...but not always. Other than that, all Opterons are 1MB L2 cache per core, while some A64's are only 512k.

Isn't the memory controller on the Opty CPUs different than the ones in X2 & FX? (To be able to run more than 4GB and ECC memory...)[/quote']

ur referring to skt 940, the server socket. we're on 939 pin architecture, the extra pin in the 940 series was for the ecc crap...

939 pin = a64 939 pin :D

Sign in to follow this