DFI Expert new BIOS BETA

I'm going to have to agree here. This is quite an expensive board, supposedly with high quality components, and now they tell you to go figure it out yourself because they put cheap butt thermal probes in there!

DFI need to get up on their feet and make some PR statement and arrange something, because this isn't helping their image.

The way I see it the board is kind of faulty, because a part of it isn't working. Sure, it's not an extremely critical component, but I do expect some move on DFI's part for shipping bad boards, essentially.

Now the great argument for these board always seems to be that there are actual DFI employees on here with connections at their HQ or something. I suggest those guys go talk to them and say customers are not at all pleased with this.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well, if you dont really care about sandra and speedfan been a bit buggy (like killing your comp unless you tell them not to scan smbus or something), and dont mind not knowing your cpu temps, go for it, although these arent small bugs, the board it self is great...

if you are too scared of it, just take the sli-dr, its the same, just has jumpers :P

These Expert board are like cpu's, you never what kind you will be getting. Different stepping gives you different overclocking and it is the same with these boards, i see some guys have a lot of problems with there boards and others have none. Very strange, this is my 3rd board, my other 2 are NF2 and NF3 250GB and no one complains about those, it is the Expert that everyone complains about. I personally have no issues with t his board, my bios temps match my mbm5 and smartguardine

my other 2 are NF2 and NF3 250GB and no one complains about those, it is the Expert that everyone complains about. I personally have no issues with t his board, my bios temps match my mbm5 and smartguardine

Keep in mind also those boards are a lot older, and many of the bugs they had have already been worked out. :)

In any case, yes I suppose DFI should do something, what I meant by my previous post is that the probes might not have been cheap. They may have actually gotten us good ones but the company that actually makes them screwed up, obviously that doesn't get DFI out of the heat responsibility wise, but yeah...

I guess I'm one of the people that doesn't see it as a big deal, considering I have no complaints with the rest of the board.

In any case, yes I suppose DFI should do something, what I meant by my previous post is that the probes might not have been cheap. They may have actually gotten us good ones but the company that actually makes them screwed up, obviously that doesn't get DFI out of the heat responsibility wise, but yeah...

I guess I'm one of the people that doesn't see it as a big deal, considering I have no complaints with the rest of the board.

Well yeah it's not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things, and indeed the probes themselves may have otherwise been good (faulty batch?), but still it would be nice to at least see DFI acknowledge the problem and do something customer friendly about it, even a note explaining the issue would be something. Building a do-it-yourself option that kind of tells the customer "we don't know how to fix it (or can't) so sort it out yourself" doesn't strike me as something I want to hear from the people who built an expensive piece of hardware, it makes me lose confidence in them.

And if it were just that, then well okay, fair enough, but with the SLI issue as well... the way I see it they should make their high end boards shine! It serves as an example to show what you're capable of and will probably draw more customers, even to the other, cheaper boards.

Well yeah it's not that big a deal in the grand scheme of things, and indeed the probes themselves may have otherwise been good (faulty batch?), but still it would be nice to at least see DFI acknowledge the problem and do something customer friendly about it, even a note explaining the issue would be something. Building a do-it-yourself option that kind of tells the customer "we don't know how to fix it (or can't) so sort it out yourself" doesn't strike me as something I want to hear from the people who built an expensive piece of hardware, it makes me lose confidence in them.

And if it were just that, then well okay, fair enough, but with the SLI issue as well... the way I see it they should make their high end boards shine! It serves as an example to show what you're capable of and will probably draw more customers, even to the other, cheaper boards.

I completely agree. There is a DFI Expert shipping to me right now, and now I'm scared to death about the quality of the product. Had know idea these issues existed until now. I hope these new boards have this issue resolved...it really is inexcusable.

I completely agree. There is a DFI Expert shipping to me right now, and now I'm scared to death about the quality of the product. Had know idea these issues existed until now. I hope these new boards have this issue resolved...it really is inexcusable.

I really don't think you'll be affected adversely. Typically, the CPU temp is under reported by 10C or less. Use MBM's temperature compensation feature to add 10C to the CPU temp and set up an alert @ 60C.

Moreover, the new 3/29 beta bios now contains a compensation feature of (+/-)10C. With the temp compensation setup appropriately and the shutdown temp set @ 60C, you're good to go without significant worry.

The SLI issue is caused by a bios bug. Use the Oct/05 bios. Although its an annoyance, its not a show stopper. Even Ultra-D users have to pick a specific bios. Not everyone uses the latest bios, nor is it appropriate for everyone.

If you're an Overclocker and you like to tinker, this is your board. The Expert is a great motherboard. Nothing is perfect - not even $300+ boards. All motherboards that push the limits are going to have some minor issues. Although this board is designed from a mature product, its still a fairly new product.

cjoe

Well all i can say is mine is good and i am happy with my purchase theres only one thing tht pisses me off is the cooling fan on the chipset. my temps seem fine tbh gettin 38-44 with a moderate oc adn a zalman cn9000

well, needless to say, this manual temperature offset doesnt "solve" anything... In fact, it's practically useless. (my temps actually read 16C low, and discovering that manually ALREADY did more for me than this new bios "feature" ever will).

This was basically a non-solution plugged into the new beta bios change-log with the word "temperature" so that they can claim that they are trying to address the problem while, in fact, they are actually ignoring it in every official capacity.

meh...

your average $10 rectal thermometer can give the temperature of a real live human being accurate to within 1/10th of a degree!! While a $200 board that can search for ET, calculate 32M Pi in just minutes, and render trillions of polygons can't even give you the temperature of its main component within 5 degrees! What year was that rectal thermometer invented again? Maybe we should send a few to DFI...

make sense? ya...

GG DFI.

I think if the Venus has no problems then DFI wants everyone to jump on the Venus and make more $$$$$$$ that is the bottom line in the corprate world, why are you guys so suprised about this?Just a thought:D