Quest for 3.0 170... on air!

Thraxz

Hey guys, I've recently worked through the few early kinks with this mobo and am finally working my way to 3.0! I've walked my CPU up the street to the 2.8 stable mark and then went on the quest for a bootable 3.0. Yeah yeah, that should be doable but this IS a dual core on air.

I've got a BT on it with AS5 and and a silverstone 120mm fan on it. I've five case fans blowing, two intake 80mm coolermasters, one 120mm coolermaster blowhole and two 120mm thermaltake fans (one intake on the floor and one exhaust on the rear). The majority of which are on a Zalman fan controller.

So far...

I've managed an easy, 1.49vcore(1.450v +104%) boot up on 2.9GHz... so easy in fact I pushed it right to 3.0 on the next shot. I moved my divider to 3/4 to keep the mem out of the question and immediately got the blue screen of death on the windows boot. I then pushed the voltage up increment by increment (1.475+104%...) all the way up to 1.55v+110%... I could boot into windows but it'd immediately freeze and start the speakers "ticking" away.

I think I need to get a grip on myself and wait until I get my new power supply before I ever push this thing hard again. I'll also be buying new 2x512 ddr600 mem to let me push 1:1 all the way to 300 reliably... or should I just go cheaper and get ddr550 2x 1gig?

Thanks guys for all your help with this monster.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I knew... when I pull the BT out next I'll let you know. I'm loving this chip.

EDIT: I OCed the vid card and ran the 2.8 opty on 3dmark06 and pulled ~5300. I'm happy for the moment.

Bootable overclocks dont impress at all.. sorry

To me there is too much of a stretch of instability from a prime stable speed to a bootable speed to predict your end result..

I can 'boot' my 170 much higher then my prime stable overclock but there is no chance in this world I will stabilize it at those speeds unless I upgrade to extreme cooling.. Dont get me wrong im sure there is a small amount of 170's that are fully stable at 3gig on air but I'd bet that the majority of them will not run prime for 8-10 hours...

Bootable overclocks dont impress at all.. sorry

To me there is too much of a stretch of instability from a prime stable speed to a bootable speed to predict your end result..

I can 'boot' my 170 much higher then my prime stable overclock but there is no chance in this world I will stabilize it at those speeds unless I upgrade to extreme cooling.. Dont get me wrong im sure there is a small amount of 170's that are fully stable at 3gig on air but I'd bet that the majority of them will not run prime for 8-10 hours...

good point. lets see 12+ prime stable :D

I have a super 165 that will run 2.75GHz @ 1.3V all day long prime stable 24hrs+ and it is on water. All that being said, I haven't seen 3.0Ghz 100% stable yet and I run water. There are too many factors and your quest is extremely difficult at the least. Like the rest, I don't consider it stable without at least 12+ Hrs of prime. Period.

Hey guys, I've recently worked through the few early kinks with this mobo and am finally working my way to 3.0! I've walked my CPU up the street to the 2.8 stable mark and then went on the quest for a bootable 3.0. Yeah yeah, that should be doable but this IS a dual core on air.

I've got a BT on it with AS5 and and a silverstone 120mm fan on it. I've five case fans blowing, two intake 80mm coolermasters, one 120mm coolermaster blowhole and two 120mm thermaltake fans (one intake on the floor and one exhaust on the rear). The majority of which are on a Zalman fan controller.

So far...

I've managed an easy, 1.49vcore(1.450v +104%) boot up on 2.9GHz... so easy in fact I pushed it right to 3.0 on the next shot. I moved my divider to 3/4 to keep the mem out of the question and immediately got the blue screen of death on the windows boot. I then pushed the voltage up increment by increment (1.475+104%...) all the way up to 1.55v+110%... I could boot into windows but it'd immediately freeze and start the speakers "ticking" away.

I think I need to get a grip on myself and wait until I get my new power supply before I ever push this thing hard again. I'll also be buying new 2x512 ddr600 mem to let me push 1:1 all the way to 300 reliably... or should I just go cheaper and get ddr550 2x 1gig?

Thanks guys for all your help with this monster.

155+110% ? holly crap, dude what are your temps like 65c ? You prolly burned the mem controller. Are you running prime 95 at all in between those clocks jumps ? I would not spend money on ddr600 memory until I know for sure 200% that my cpu can go stable that high. I would spend the money on wc or phase if your are looking for your 3ghz instead of memory. Memory 1:1 will only get you maybe 3-7% if that increase in performance. Personally I do not think is even that much. Faster memory is not going to get your cpu to 3ghz.

Good luck in your quest

my 2 cents

I've no idea what the temps reached because it wouldn't boot and I'm not interesting in the BIOS only temps. They aren't the same as OS temps. I'm not looking to get a stable 3.0 clock because I know I'll never get there with the amount of money I want to spend. I want to say, "look, it made it to 3.0," and be happy. Pardon me if I don't give a . what impresses you or doesn't. I never said I wanted to, thanks for the input.

ANYHOW, stablity is in the eye of the beholder and all I care to do to call something stable is 4 hours of dual prime big ftts. I'll never have a real world draw coming even close to that at any point... ever... so it'lll never fail on me if it can pass that. I'm sure I could have primed it longer but I'm not willing to deal with the bogging dual prime creates for that long.

As for 2.9 I'm sure I could stabilize that for 4 hours prime and probably longer but I'm not gonna bother until I power supply that I trust. Although, you are probably right about the water cooling rather than memory. I think you just convinced me to go H20... any recommendations for that?

I'm currently running 5/6 divider with 2.5-3-3-5 1T timings @3.0vdimm. I'll get the full configuration on here later.

Pardon me if I don't give a . what impresses you or doesn't. I never said I wanted to, thanks for the input.

You dont have to be rude about it .. I was just stating my opinion because honestly I could care less how stable your rig is.. Either way GL with your 'quest' ..

Sorry if I was rude, but I didn't exactly ask for your opinion on what is stable or what impresses you. That being said, your post came off as awful condescending and I bristled a bit.

Thanks for the luck.

Anyhow, I'm looking at the $125-200 area from what ever I can afford in water. What do you recommend.