Sign in to follow this  
Protostar

Opterons.... good overclockers..?

If i were to get a new prosssecor i would get the 170 Opteron. Nothing but pure overclocking goodness.

Thanks much for the replies guys,

Guess I should also tell you that I no longer have the DFI LP. Now I have an Asus A8R32-MVP. Danger Den water cooled system. OCZ PC-4800, I have a Toledo 3800+ & it just blows for overclocking.

You guys still think I could get good clocks with an Opteron with an Asus board..?

Well even though I'm not an Oc expert, I can tell you that Asus makes the best (second to DFI of course :) ) mobos man has ever known and that applys to ocing as well. The only problem that the people who buy the non-sli mobos are usually screwed (hence Usually) when oc'ing. But any Asus SLI mobo will do fine when doing some oc'ing. But I would advise that you get the Asus motherboards with the chipset heatsink since 1. Asus makes crappy fans ever since late August 2. they suck at moving heat. But if I'm correct your motherboard is the new SLIex16 design and it has a good heatsink on the chipset.

Asus boards are really great boards, i have built several systems around them and they are always very stable & reliable. As a matter of fact when i originally built the system in my sig everything was the same except i had a Asus A8N32-SLI mobo. I had alot of problems with it - it was overheating like a MF so i sent it back and bought my DFI LP Expert... I can't even begin to descibe how grateful i am that the Asus had issues and i now have a DFI... I love them. i especially love 'the street'. The support network here is incredible and without it i'm sure i would still be struggling.

(ASUS) Ahh ahhhh Ahhshushh!!!Scuse me... :tooth: They are ok. I have 1. It doesn'ts OC near as nice as my infinity did. But when my Infinity devoloped troubles I moved my mobile back to it. Lapped the chipset put extra cooling on those. Sinked the mosfets. Got some other work to do to it before I fire it up. (Tuffer OC more work to get decent clocks) I might sneak a coupla' results in somewhere. One problem w/them is they don't care much about overclocking. And thier support forum isn't near as good. (I have 100 post there helpin' others) Don't get me wrong there are some good poeple there that'll try to help ya' and there are some overclockers too. But DFI's are better! And I love this forum! Here I come to learn mostly.

Opteron's: I think I got a fairly good 1 myself. (I'm Happy!) Nice clocker not bad anyway. But how well any individual chip overclocks depends on the individual chip. I've come to believe that they may all be as diffrent as thier owners.

Dual-cores I really don't know much about them. Some of them bear the same "stepping" as the fx60 so I'd imagine those ones "might" possibily OC better than some others. But still the proof is in the pudding and some of those might not clock as nice as some others. (I friend in the nf2 forum got a 170 I'd say impressive from the go!LOL)

Well that's enough rattling outta' me. Back to readin' and stuff.

Edit: Just because my overclocking experience w/ asus wasn't that thrilling doesn't

mean yours won't be. (I got decent result's and I expect better) But I my case it'll take alot of werk I don't expect to get close to what I got outta' my Infinity... But that's just me and mine.

I should add that some opterons don't work well on some dividers and asus's have fewer of those so opteron asus might not be the way to OC..(But then who knows they may all werk :) fine)