Sign in to follow this  
Protostar

Opterons.... good overclockers..?

Hey guys,

Was just wondering if anyone out there had any experiance with the Opterons. My buddy says he hears they clock pretty well.

Anybody know the diff between the Opty duals & an X2..?

any info would be appreciated............ nismo

Do a search for which opteron your interested in, or which x2 your interested in. the x2 3800+ is a nice chip. Stay away from 9x multiplyer and you will be fine either way.(as said by AG).

Can't beat the opterons if you want a reasonably priced dual core that overclocks really well.

My 165 will boot over 2.8 but it's dual prime95 stable at 2.75ghz. Not bad considering it was originally a 1.8ghz CPU. The X2's and Opterons come off of the same line, so the top-end for all of them is in the same ballpark (2.5-2.7 for the lower priced chips). Some will hit 2.8/2.9 . I've seen X2's that do as high as Opterons, but I think the opterons are more consistently higher than X2's of a similar (or slightly higher) speed. They just do more thorough testing for the Opteron line.

There are a few older 165/170 steppings that can break 3.0. But I suspect the ones that test that well these days are going to end up being labeled FX60s, Opteron 185s or X2 4800s :)

If you want more info, Google for something like X2 3800 vs Opteron 165 or something similar. There are many threads already covering this discussion.

Do a search for which opteron your interested in, or which x2 your interested in. the x2 3800+ is a nice chip. Stay away from 9x multiplyer and you will be fine either way.(as said by AG).

I didn't see the AG quote, do you have a reference to it? The only disadvantage I see with 9x is that you've gotta have the best RAM to consider doing 1:01. (Concidentally, someone just today posted that they reduced their Opty170 to 9x so they could run RAM at 300 1:01)

But AG himself says that using a divider has little impact on your real-world performance, so with that in mind - what is the problem with using a 9x multiplier?

i wouldnt go above a 170. 165 is good if you have a good mobo to get the htt up (only a 9x multi) and the 170 has a 10x

I like the Opty I got.......gonna stick with them for a while........next one will be a dual-core Opty.......I havent even pushed this one that far yet!!!!

Currently testing out my Opty 170, so far has been 8m Super Pi stable up to 2.9 on both cores with affinity set at 1.45 volts.

I'd be happy at 2.8 Prime Stable.

Definitely a good buy, I was kinda leery because I was upgrading from a 3200+ Venice that would do 2.9 all day long at 1.55V and I was worried that I'd actually get worse performance in games if it didn't overclock well.

So far my fears have been vanquished :shake: :nod: :shake:

From all I've heard the 146s OC the best. So I got one. Got it at 10x292 wth a 180 9/10 divider @ 1.488vid in the OC database here. This is with tight timings because I see no advantage to loosen them to get to 3g. I run the rig @ 10x187, same divider, @ 1.424vid

and it flies. Just get good hardware to go with it.

When your looking at a price/performance ratio, the 165's or 170's are the way to go. Almost everyone of them does 2.6 on low volts. Most will do 2.7 and if your lucky you'll do 2.8 or more...