comp keeps shutting down during gaming.

i have been trying to figure this problem out for the past 3 months. no luck

i swap ram, not the problem.

i RMA my psu, not the problem.

i am overclocked to 2.6ghz but it is stable and temps are 31 idle 42c load

my chipset however reaches from 46c to 50c when gaming. could this be causing me to shutdown?

someone said to me that a cause might be fans being plugged into my chipset? i wouldnt think this because i shutdown every 2 hours into gaming, SOMETIMES

yesterday, i was gaming for 7+hours didnt shutdown, today i shutdown 2 hours in.. wtf? :confused: :eek:

lol so some help would be appreciated, i did run memtest86+ and passed 4 times, and i ran prime95 + atitool for 8+ hours and no errors

video card temps are reaching 65-68c (STOCK CLOCKED)

i can pass 3dmark06 05 03 all of them

but i tried this and it didnt shut down, however.. i am thinking its shutting down because of some reason from the chipset, because without overclocking were not stressing the chipset that much, so its load isnt as high, but with everything OCd it puts more stress on the chipset. i will try stock settings again for the next week again though.

but what i found most interesting is that my voltage settings when i changed them from 1.425+104% to 1.250+113% its now at 1.34v instead of 1.408v ...........

im kind of thinking it might be my voltage setting on my opty,

ive once had it at 1.4+104%, but because it crashes i then tried it at 1.425+104% but still crashes.

so then i try it just at 1.425 immediately 10 minutes into windows my speakers start making a ringing noise like i pressed invalid keys on a keyboard when it makes that sound. (tried rebooting 5 times same thing happens)

so now im going to try 1.250+113%

could a possibility is that i could be overvolting it?

EDIT: i have crucial ballistix ram

My gaming rig has the 3200+ stable at 2750MHz, and the memory stable at 248MHz (at 2-3-2-5). If I start playing games, however, it's is unstable, because even though the highest overclock works well for normal testing purposes, gaming just stresses the system in multiple ways at the same time, whereas the testing programs stress it in several ways sequentially.

For testing and basic games, 275/248 is stable

For most non-FPS games, 260/260 is stable

For EQ2 and similar games, 250/250 is stable

My thinking is that when the graphics card is working hard, it heats up the inside of the case, and with the increased temperatures, my previously stable overclock becomes unstable. It could be the purity of the power supplied to the system too, but my guess is heat, since EQ2 won't run at all if the PWMIC goes over 50 degrees. Maybe I should back off on the graphics card overclock, but it is only overclocked 9%, and the graphics speed gain is more important to me for gaming than the CPU/Memory overclocks; and when I'm not gaming, the higher CPU/Memory overclocks work whether the graphics card is overclocked or not.

Just some ideas for you - maybe the stable overclock you have isn't so stable with other things happening inside and outside the case.

Muggie2

my system hung at what i set it at above, so now i just used straight clean voltage again, its at 1.425 in bios but is displaying in cpu-z at 1.376v

but i already rmad it... if it IS the psu, which i think is highly unlikely... what would it need? more cooling do you think its getting to hot and just shutting down?

My gaming rig has the 3200+ stable at 2750MHz, and the memory stable at 248MHz (at 2-3-2-5). If I start playing games, however, it's is unstable, because even though the highest overclock works well for normal testing purposes, gaming just stresses the system in multiple ways at the same time, whereas the testing programs stress it in several ways sequentially.

For testing and basic games, 275/248 is stable

For most non-FPS games, 260/260 is stable

For EQ2 and similar games, 250/250 is stable

My thinking is that when the graphics card is working hard, it heats up the inside of the case, and with the increased temperatures, my previously stable overclock becomes unstable. It could be the purity of the power supplied to the system too, but my guess is heat, since EQ2 won't run at all if the PWMIC goes over 50 degrees. Maybe I should back off on the graphics card overclock, but it is only overclocked 9%, and the graphics speed gain is more important to me for gaming than the CPU/Memory overclocks; and when I'm not gaming, the higher CPU/Memory overclocks work whether the graphics card is overclocked or not.

Just some ideas for you - maybe the stable overclock you have isn't so stable with other things happening inside and outside the case.

Muggie2

however, when i said i tested it with prime i also tested it with a beta of atitool, which stresses my video card, so i did keep that in mind. thanks though.