How do i get my 2nd hard drive to show up as D: and not E:

primary master: Maxtor 250GB IDE (stuff e.g, movies games

primary slave: NEC 4551 DVD-RW

secondary master: Disabled

secondary slave: Disabled

sata1: Seagate 80GB Sata-II (windows instalation)

sata2: Nothing

sata3: Disabled

sate4: Disabled

my nec dvd-rw comes up as D but i want my maxtor 250gb to be D not E

i have diabled IDE channel 2 in bios and have also disabled sata 3/4 in bios

Guest burningrave101

The letters are assigned to the partitions you created. Go into Disk Management and change the drive letters for both of those drives so you can have the ones you want.

D is common for an optical drive if u installed windows with one hardrive attached. i wouldnt recommend changing drive letters for it. thats guaranteed to fix nothing, but if its just preference then see if it works out...if u have a few diffrent systems you use the drive in ur gonna find out when u attach it to another system its going to assign it right back to last E F G or whatever...the other drive letters lower than it will always overide its letter if its the same as a drive already attached, but if its higher, say T, then it will retain its letter most likely unless theres another drive with that letter in the system its attached to which would bump it to another letter. permanently installed optical drives will always take on the lower letters unless alot of hardrives are attached and assigned letters at windows install ..and thats not recommended practice. imo neither is changing an optical drive letter in an already existing windows install....i think i just went cross-eyed lol

what and where is disk managment

RickyG512,

Hi. Disk management is a tool that allows you in WindowsXP to manage your hard disks and/or optical drives. Hope that helps :)

You can access it by :

click "Windows Start Button" -> right-click "My Computer" -> Select "Manage" from pull down menu that appears -> "Computer Management" windows should appear -> Look under "Storage" section in heirarchy in the left window -> You Should see a "Disk Management" option there.

EDIT You have to have Administrative rights to use the tool :D

Again I hope this helps you as well ;)

Cheers,

Caspanis.

D is common for an optical drive if u installed windows with one hardrive attached. i wouldnt recommend changing drive letters for it. thats guaranteed to fix nothing, but if its just preference then see if it works out...if u have a few diffrent systems you use the drive in ur gonna find out when u attach it to another system its going to assign it right back to last E F G or whatever...the other drive letters lower than it will always overide its letter if its the same as a drive already attached, but if its higher, say T, then it will retain its letter most likely unless theres another drive with that letter in the system its attached to which would bump it to another letter. permanently installed optical drives will always take on the lower letters unless alot of hardrives are attached and assigned letters at windows install ..and thats not recommended practice. imo neither is changing an optical drive letter in an already existing windows install....i think i just went cross-eyed lol

Changing drive letters isn't a problem at all unless you have programs installed on the drive. And it doesn't matter what letter you assign the optical drives to. i have changed my drive letters around so many times with all the installs i have done & i have never had a problem. I usually end up rearranging them a few times after an install... right now i have 8 physical drives (2 in a RAID 0) with a total of 11 partitions (drives C-M) 1 Optical drive (Drive P) & 3 Virtual DVD Drives (drives V-X). I have changed the optical drive letters 3 times on this install. it doesn't hurt anything...

& btw, if you change some letters and can't change a drive to a letter you know is not being used just reboot....

ok thanks soo much for your guys help. but when i ever format windows and install it again in the future, will it come up as drive E again, is their a way of making it native drive D. my drive arangement is in my first post

ok thanks soo much for your guys help. but when i ever format windows and install it again in the future, will it come up as drive E again, is their a way of making it native drive D. my drive arangement is in my first post
it should be ok, or you could disconnect all drives except HD's format, load xp, shut down install rest of drives, turn on.