weird problem with my sata Seagate and DFI

Guest swoop_merged

Guest swoop

Hello!

I've purchased a Seagate SATA 7200rpm 7,200rpm new, installed it in the mb and installed winxp with all needed sata drivers.

The installation was perfectly, but, when I tried to copy files from my IDE harddrive to a partition I made in the SATA, the system had frozen! :confused:

So I had to restart it, after this, I've tried again. Problem once more :drool:

I took the SATA out from my pc and put into my sister's one, it worked perfectly and copied files without a problem.

I came back to my pc, changed the 'SATA port' in the mobo and tried again, frozen...

I decided to try to copy the files from the partitions of the same hd (sata one), I tried to copy the system files to the other partition in this sata drive, same problem!!! :(

I don't know what do I have to do... does anyone have any idea?

Thank you! :)

ps.: the Seagate SATA model is ST3200822AS

Are you running the latest motherboard chipset drivers? We know so far that the hard drive has no problems but some sort of settings and adjustments need to be done with your DFI board. Which SATA drivers did you install for that Seagate? So you had to press "F6" during the Windows installation screen? Not sure but on the NF4 based boards we don't install any SATA drives and it picks it up no problem. Not sure about your motherboard though, maybe check into that to see.....

Guest swoop
Are you running the latest motherboard chipset drivers? We know so far that the hard drive has no problems but some sort of settings and adjustments need to be done with your DFI board. Which SATA drivers did you install for that Seagate? So you had to press "F6" during the Windows installation screen? Not sure but on the NF4 based boards we don't install any SATA drives and it picks it up no problem. Not sure about your motherboard though, maybe check into that to see.....

Yes, I've pressed F6, I've tried to use this driver: Sil3114r.exe (http://us.dfi.com.tw/Support/Download/driv..._FLAG=A&SITE=US)

And after, in the Windows I used the nForce's driver version 2.45 (old, i know), but I've tried to install the 5.10 and seemed to be corrupted...

Yes, NF2 bases boards needs to install SATA drivers during Winxp installations! :)

Faulty SATA data cable or damaged pin on the mobo, have you tried a different SATA header?

I don't think so, I have 3 or 4 new SATA data cables and tried 2, both didn't work well (this problem happened, and in my sister's pc, it didn't).

SATA header, sorry for being so newbie, but, is it the SATA port? :confused: Yes... :)

• 3 weeks later...

Fala ae, compatriota!

Your problem could be software based. Update your BIOS, try a new, fresh install of XP with most recent drivers... if the problem remains, try tuning your BIOS... there are some S-ATA configurations... if none of these work, i'd consider a faulty board...

Yes, I've pressed F6, I've tried to use this driver: Sil3114r.exe

Its this line here i am wondering about??????? You dont need the raid driver if you only have a single hdd, like i said before you need the ide driver you can find it on sil's site......

You should also have Sata Raid enabled in the bios for compatibility reasons, i know it conflicts with what i have already said about the raid driver. But most users find better compatibility when using a single sata hdd and using the Sata Raid option enabled in the bios.....

Post back dude ;)