Would lower multipliers be better

Hi guys,

I'm back again lol. As some of you may remember I have been able to overclock my 146 to 2740 Mhz. The thing is I am having to do this with a Vcore of 1.6V which even though my CPU doesn't go above 50 C under load, I would still like to be able to reach this speed or more at a lower Vcore. Is it possible that by using a lower multiplier and a higher HTT, that I could reach this at a lower voltage. I have spent a long time getting my system to this state (ie 2 weeks) and do not want to spend another 2 weeks on a lost cause. If however it is a distinct possibillity, then I am willing to start over again. At the moment, my RAM is running at 249.1 Mhz with timings of 2-2-2-5, so I know that my memory is good. It is just the Vcore which is worrying me at the moment. Your thoughts and suggestions on the subject will be very welcome.

Many thanks

Ian

P.S. Is 2.7Ghz a fair overclock for a 146 opteron.

Is it possible that by using a lower multiplier and a higher HTT, that I could reach this at a lower voltage..
No.. not from my experience..
P.S. Is 2.7Ghz a fair overclock for a 146 opteron.
Its not bad but I do believe most clock higher then that..

Did you follow the oc guide and isolate your cpu ?

Yes I did, I followed it to the letter and got the best speed I could at the time with the RAM out of the equation. I seem to have to bump up the voltage to get anywhere above 2.5Ghz. Pity about the multiplier question. But hey, I still have a fairly good clock and my RAM is running at 250Mhz with tight timings so, not all bad news lol. Thanks for the reply THunDA.