Sign in to follow this  
rhiridflaidd

2x 1GB sticks.

I've been readiag around, my ballistix have died again, and I need a replacement for my X2 that's good to 2650mhz.

G.Skill 2GB DDR HZ PC4000 (2x1GB) for £152

vs

OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC4000 Dual Channel Platinum Series (£200)

Mushkin 2GB DDR XP4000 Extreme Performance Dual Channel Kit (£170) is another - but I know little about them.

All are rated at 500mhz.

Big price differences here but OCZ has a lifetime warranty (something that was very handy with my ballistix)

Thanks for any advice.

I have the G.SKILL and really like 'em so far. I am at 260FSB 1/01 right now stable for the two weeks I have had them. I'm sure they could go more, got them to 260 pretty easy at 1T 3-4-3-7, wanted to burn them in for a while before I went higher. But I think you would easily hit the 2650 with them :nod:

Typical. 3 options and 3 different answers. :rolleyes:

I suppose that shows the question wasn't far wrong.

In the UK, OC| is far dearer; but after my ballistix experience; decent warranty is also important; so at the moment I'm veering towards the Mushkin.

Decisions decisions.

Are there any rumours about the long term stability of any of these sticks (once bitten twice shy)

Some super sticks of Ocz EB will do tricks when run on a divider so they are not pushed to 250Mhz memory speed. My best 3D benches for posting at BE are done with EB at 2.5, 3, 2, 10 with the memory not exceeding 240Mhz/FSB by use of a divider. So there are likely many options open if a user just tests himself.

RGone...

I have mushkin, they operate great in the ultra-d. I'm not sure how mushkin support is in europe though, in the US they have excellent support

i'd pick the g.skill. Even though i like a sense of security for a lifetime warranty, if i had those sticks i'd be running them lower than 2.8v. I've never had sticks poop out on me w/ voltages lower than 3.0, unless they were defective and in that case i'd still have the opprotunity to RMA it.

good luck

I've got my recently purchased G.Skill HZ's running at 270Mhz at 3-4-4-8 on 2.63 vdimm and it's 100% stable. I haven't had time to test anything else yet, but this was what I was aiming for, and I got it stable on my first try with the new RAM. I could probably take the RAM higher, but I don't think my CPU likes speeds > 2.7Ghz...at least it didn't with my OCZ Platinum's. I'm happy with the G.Skill :)

HZ ftw. Good stable memory, best price. Mine do 270 3-4-4-8 and not a MHz more, fair enough (edit: @2.6v too). I'm thinking of getting HV if my Ballistix finally bork, they look nice.

:rolleyes: I have the same problem but instaed of the ocz platinums I was considering a pair of 2G Corsair Twin xms4000PT PC400 (£142) or the above mention G-Skills(£152). Any help with my choice? Really need to get my Opty 165 to 2.6 Ghz :nod:

Sign in to follow this