raid array setup

Yes, but what is then the right way to set my raid array? I DO have to set it up don´t I, before starting the whole installation process...?

Hi Kaspian,

Yes you do have to set up the RAID array before even attempting the Windows install , but this is done at the motherboard BIOS level and the RAID bios level.

Also don't forget to set the bootable flag on the newly created array.As for driver installation what drivers did you slipstream ? Note that the slipstreamed windows XP CD would be ALL that you need for initial install :)

Cheers,

Caspanis

Thank you for your reply Caspanis! :)

I am just about to do the whole slipstream process. And what comes to drivers I´m planning to use nvidia nforce4 6.70 + all the windows optional@critical@security updates. Any suggestion should I use more drivers to make it complete..?

I am not sure what you ment by setting the bootable flag cause my english isn´t quite the best out there. ;) How important is it? Is there any short tutorial to follow? How about this one: http://www.angrygames.com/nf4raid-1.htm , ofcourse without using the F6 part!!!!

Is it a right way set things up?

Thank you for your reply Caspanis! :)

I am just about to do the whole slipstream process. And what comes to drivers I´m planning to use nvidia nforce4 6.70 + all the windows optional@critical@security updates. Any suggestion should I use more drivers to make it complete..?

I recommend that you slipstream the motherboard chipset drivers (the 6.70) as well as the drivers for your video card (if that is possible). If you wish to save time in the install , then you can integrate other drivers/software into the slipstreamed disk :)
I am not sure what you ment by setting the bootable flag cause my english isn´t quite the best out there. ;) How important is it? Is there any short tutorial to follow? How about this one: http://www.angrygames.com/nf4raid-1.htm , ofcourse without using the F6 part!!!!

Is it a right way set things up?

If you intend to use the RAID array as the Boot disk for Windows then the bootable flag on the array must be set to yes in the RAID BIOS configuration utility. The relevant screen is displayed on page two (2) of the guide you linked to in your previous post. See Image three(3) on that page :cool:

Additionally it is an excellent guide !

Any more questions/issues please do not hesitate to ask :)

Cheers,

Caspanis

Thank you very very many Caspanis, that really helped me quite a bit! :)

My plan is now to build my 2 HD´s in raid 0 so that there would be 1 partition (40GB) for the OS and all the other software and the rest of it (600GB) for music, movies, games etc...

So is the it the right way to do this like you descriped above?

I´m using Fernando´s guide to slipstream which is behind this link: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=51140

So what do you think? Am I in the right path?

Thank you very very many Caspanis, that really helped me quite a bit! :)

My plan is now to build my 2 HD´s in raid 0 so that there would be 1 partition (40GB) for the OS and all the other software and the rest of it (600GB) for music, movies, games etc...

So is the it the right way to do this like you descriped above?

I´m using Fernando´s guide to slipstream which is behind this link: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=51140

So what do you think? Am I in the right path?

Kaspian,

You are definitely on the RIGHT path :cool:

Cheers,

Caspanis

Thank you my friend! :):):)

There would be only one last thing that I´m still not quite sure.. :confused:

When I am integrating other drivers like for the graphic card, DVD-player, firewall, antivirus, windows mediaplayer 10, mozilla etc...

Should I integrate them as I have downloaded them in the part where nlite asks the hotfixes and update packs? :confused:

And by the way, was it the right method to use when nlite asked for drivers to integrate, I just chose the legacy folder from C:NVIDIAnForceWin2KXP6.70IDEWinXP and multiple driver instead of single drivers in nlite, I´m a little confused with this because in fernando´s guide there was also an alternative (as descriped in the second take from Fernando´s guide!!) option to do this where you should have copied some files as descriped here:

If you had trouble with the integration of the LEGACY subfolder or if you just want to use the best and safest method for the later integration, you should take the SATARAID subfolder of the 6.70 package, but in this case you have to do some additional preparations within the IDEWinXP directory of the driver package: (so I didn´t use this method)

1) Open the LEGACY subfolder and copy the file NVATABUS.INF into the SATARAID subfolder.

2) Open the SATA_IDE subfolder and copy the files NVATA.CAT, NVIDE.NVU and NVCOI.DLL into the SATARAID subfolder.

Now your SATARAID subfolder of the 6.70 package is well prepared for the later integration of the SataRaid drivers.

Instead of what it says above I used this method:

For the integration of the SataRaid or PataRaid drivers I propose to take the new official 32-bit NVIDIA nForce chipset driver package v. 6.70 (you may download it here, then extract the content). Fortunately NVIDIA has established a subfolder named LEGACY within the IDEWinXP directory of this package. As this subfolder contains all necessary files, for most of the users any further preparations of this package are dispensable

This it what I see in the screenshot (integrated drivers) right now:

NVIDIA Corporation (T-BUSDRV) HDC 5.10.2600.0552 8/18/2005

NVIDIA Corporation (T-RAIDCLASS) HDC 5.10.2600.0552 8/18/2005

Thank you my friend! :):):)

There would be only one last thing that I´m still not quite sure.. :confused:

When I am integrating other drivers like for the graphic card, DVD-player, firewall, antivirus, windows mediaplayer 10, mozilla etc...

Should I integrate them as I have downloaded them in the part where nlite asks the hotfixes and update packs? :confused:

Usually I don't integrate anything with nlite except hardware drivers., primarily because I don't know how :( because of this I can't offer much help here :sad: . I do know that the section that you mention can be used to integrate Microsoft hotfixes and applications , Windows media player 10 for example. Check this site . Has a bundle (and installation instructions :) ) that installs all post Windows Service Pack 2 hotfixes . It should help you alot. Also as long as you're using nlite check out the unattended options they allow you to REALLY customize your install.
And by the way, was it the right method to use when nlite asked for drivers to integrate, I just chose the legacy folder from C:NVIDIAnForceWin2KXP6.70IDEWinXP and multiple driver instead of single drivers in nlite, I´m a little confused with this because in fernando´s guide there was also an alternative (as descriped in the second take from Fernando´s guide!!) option to do this where you should have copied some files as descriped here:

If you had trouble with the integration of the LEGACY subfolder or if you just want to use the best and safest method for the later integration, you should take the SATARAID subfolder of the 6.70 package, but in this case you have to do some additional preparations within the IDEWinXP directory of the driver package: (so I didn´t use this method)

1) Open the LEGACY subfolder and copy the file NVATABUS.INF into the SATARAID subfolder.

2) Open the SATA_IDE subfolder and copy the files NVATA.CAT, NVIDE.NVU and NVCOI.DLL into the SATARAID subfolder.

Now your SATARAID subfolder of the 6.70 package is well prepared for the later integration of the SataRaid drivers.

Instead of what it says above I used this method:

For the integration of the SataRaid or PataRaid drivers I propose to take the new official 32-bit NVIDIA nForce chipset driver package v. 6.70 (you may download it here, then extract the content). Fortunately NVIDIA has established a subfolder named LEGACY within the IDEWinXP directory of this package. As this subfolder contains all necessary files, for most of the users any further preparations of this package are dispensable

This it what I see in the screenshot (integrated drivers) right now:

NVIDIA Corporation (T-BUSDRV) HDC 5.10.2600.0552 8/18/2005

NVIDIA Corporation (T-RAIDCLASS) HDC 5.10.2600.0552 8/18/2005

All you need to do is integrate the "Legacy" folder only as textmode drivers , Nothing Else for the hard disk or RAID drivers. You should also integrate the drivers from the SMbus,Ethernet, and Audio (only if using onboard audio) folders respectively althought these are completely unrelated to the RAID drivers and if you wish can be ignored but given that you will need the drivers anyway (network access etc. ) I think its best to integrate them if you will need them later on.The option to use the "multiple folder" or "single folder" option is new in nlite , but I generally just use the single option and target each desired directory myself to be safe , particularly with the Hard Disk (IDE/SATA/RAID) drivers :)

Hope All this helps. As always keep us posted and don't hesitate to ask questions when you're unclear or confused ;)

Cheers,

Caspanis

Thank you again Caspanis!! :) You really are a true pearl man!!! :cool:

Could you still give me confirmation that which textfile I should use, I can see two of them in the integration window with nlite, the other one is nvatabus and the other is called nvraid so which one should I use, it won´t give me access to choose but only one..! :confused: And the again there is the other method where you actually copy some files (NVATABUS.INF,NVATA.CAT, NVIDE.NVU and NVCOI.DLL) to a sataraid subfolder which gives me even more headache, because there is actually THREE choises (nvata, nvatabus and nvraid) to make?!?

So lets say that I´m gonna use the driver integration from sataraid folder (where are three choices); just because Fernando says it´s the best way to use... ;)

So what of those three options should I use nvata, nvatabus or nvraid, and does it give me both sata and raid drivers when doing it...?

I really appreciate your help Caspanis and all but now I have to go to work and start working again tomorrow.. :shake: I hope you can give me an answer while I´m gone... :) I will keep you uptated how my process continues... :shake:

Ah, still one thing... I used the link you post me earlier and managed to integrate all the updates and fixes with RVM Integrator, but the (Noob) guestion is that can I use the same software AGAIN to integrate more application packs for example Kels Uber Addons Pack???

Cheers,

Kaspian

Thank you again Caspanis!! :) You really are a true pearl man!!! :cool:
I aim to help ;)
Could you still give me confirmation that which textfile I should use, I can see two of them in the integration window with nlite, the other one is nvatabus and the other is called nvraid so which one should I use, it won´t give me access to choose but only one..! :confused: And the again there is the other method where you actually copy some files (NVATABUS.INF,NVATA.CAT, NVIDE.NVU and NVCOI.DLL) to a sataraid subfolder which gives me even more headache, because there is actually THREE choises (nvata, nvatabus and nvraid) to make?!?

So lets say that I´m gonna use the driver integration from sataraid folder (where are three choices); just because Fernando says it´s the best way to use... ;)

So what of those three options should I use nvata, nvatabus or nvraid, and does it give me both sata and raid drivers when doing it...?

In the legacy directory , there should be two (2) ".inf" files , it shouldn't matter which one you select as both will be selected ultimately and in addition if you try to add the other file the software will tell that it is already added :) . With this driver release (version 6.70) there is NO NEED TO COPY FILES MANUALLY just follow the instructions and you should be all set :)
Ah, still one thing... I used the link you post me earlier and managed to integrate all the updates and fixes with RVM Integrator, but the (Noob) guestion is that can I use the same software AGAIN to integrate more application packs for example Kels Uber Addons Pack???

Cheers,

Kaspian

This should be OK depending on the integration instructions that come with that particular add-on pack. But tell me more about this pack as I'm going to be doing some integration in the near future :D

Cheers,

Caspanis