Psu?

Guest IUMaestro_merged

Guest IUMaestro

Hey guys - 1st time post, looong time reader (since 03 when I had my NFII Infinity rig rocking my face off)

I didn't have the funds to go pci-e till now.. my hardware that's on the way will be as follows:

PC P&C 510 ATX Deluxe

X2 4400+

NF4 Ultra-D

PCI-e 6800 (I only play games on the hl2:s engine so no need for anything better)

Now - I know this has been asked a BILLION times before here, and I'm not one to post something that has been answered time and time again in a forum, especially on my first post... but here's the problem.. The more I search, all the regular tech forums, and especially this one, I find this answer to my question.

Question: I have a 20pin ATX PSU (it's a pc power and cooling at least) and I don't want to buy a new power supply when this one was $200, so can I use a 20->24 pin adaptor, and a 4->6-pin video card power adaptor?

Many of the answers here: NOOO!!!!! omfg no. have I tried it? nah.. The people who have tried it all report that it's fine, no stability or overclocking problems.

So this is why I'm posting. I understand undervolting your board is very bad.. especially for dual-core and overclocking.. but why then haven't I been able to find any horror stories or anything. Those who do it say it works OK (not just on DFI boards granted), and those who haven't tried it are morbadly oppossed to the idea.

Can somebody give me a definitive reason why I should pay PCP&C to replace the harness to make it a true 6 and 24-pinner? or buy a new PSU?

Cause the nono's all seem theoretically based. Thanks. Glad to be here :)

Try it. Might it not work? Perhaps. It could though.

Adapters aren't needed. It will plug into the motherboard with or without one.

But if I were you, I'd sell it and get another. I don't care if its a PC Power & Cooling or an Aspire, 24-pin is pretty much needed.

Hey guys - 1st time post, looong time reader (since 03 when I had my NFII Infinity rig rocking my face off)

I didn't have the funds to go pci-e till now.. my hardware that's on the way will be as follows:

PC P&C 510 ATX Deluxe

X2 4400+

NF4 Ultra-D

PCI-e 6800 (I only play games on the hl2:s engine so no need for anything better)

Now - I know this has been asked a BILLION times before here, and I'm not one to post something that has been answered time and time again in a forum, especially on my first post... but here's the problem.. The more I search, all the regular tech forums, and especially this one, I find this answer to my question.

Question: I have a 20pin ATX PSU (it's a pc power and cooling at least) and I don't want to buy a new power supply when this one was $200, so can I use a 20->24 pin adaptor, and a 4->6-pin video card power adaptor?

Many of the answers here: NOOO!!!!! omfg no. have I tried it? nah.. The people who have tried it all report that it's fine, no stability or overclocking problems.

So this is why I'm posting. I understand undervolting your board is very bad.. especially for dual-core and overclocking.. but why then haven't I been able to find any horror stories or anything. Those who do it say it works OK (not just on DFI boards granted), and those who haven't tried it are morbadly oppossed to the idea.

Can somebody give me a definitive reason why I should pay PCP&C to replace the harness to make it a true 6 and 24-pinner? or buy a new PSU?

Cause the nono's all seem theoretically based. Thanks. Glad to be here :)

The PC Power and Cooling is a great PSU. However, it's the fact that you're splitting voltages from lines that need to be giving that juice else where. Sure, you might not have problems. But then again, you might. And if you do, all you're going to get is the infamous "We told you so". Why risk damaging all that hardware? Personally, I would send my PSU back in and have them fix it. The decision is upto you however.

Guest IUMaestro

Cool.. Thank you gentlemen I will do that then :)

Can't wait to try some of these modded BIOS's.. I thought I was the shiz with a modded MSI bios.. pshh these look 10x better. I'll post up with pics when I get the rig set up. Thanks again bros.