I hate to ask...but it's been awhile

cipher021

I know its cliche, but I'd love to get some advice on the new system I'm about to buy. I've been saving up for many years (the last system I built was in 2002). In turn, I'm a bit out of the loop so I've been trying to catch up. Here's what I'm thinking of getting:

Lian Li Full Tower -I want the space just for ease of use, air flow, and I love to have room for future add-ons.

DFI Lan Party UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert

XFX GeForce 7900 GTX (665MHz) 512MB PV-T71F-YDF9 -Ok...I know the GTX is a beast, but I want to go all out. Is it pointless getting this card though? Am i better off just getting dual 7900GT's? I was planning on getting the one GTX now, and another later to link up, but I want to know if its just not worth the money.

ENERMAX Whisper II EG565P-VE FMA(24P) 535W -Should I move up to the 600W Noisetaker, dont know if 535 will be enough with future additional video card and perhaps another HD

AMD Opteron 175 1GHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core -Was going to get the 180, but its always out of stock...

OCZ Gold GX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM

Western Digital Caviar SE 250GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

THERMALRIGHT XP-90 Multiple Heatpipes Cpu Heatsink -Supposed to be the best, got some arctic silver of course too :)

I have a year old DVD Burner I'm supplying myself, and a floppy drive of course.

So there it is. Would love to know if I've either totally forgotten something, have any products that don't work together, and that whole video card thing. Thanks in advance. :)

I know its cliche, but I'd love to get some advice on the new system I'm about to buy. I've been saving up for many years (the last system I built was in 2002). In turn, I'm a bit out of the loop so I've been trying to catch up. Here's what I'm thinking of getting:

Lian Li Full Tower -I want the space just for ease of use, air flow, and I love to have room for future add-ons.

DFI Lan Party UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert

XFX GeForce 7900 GTX (665MHz) 512MB PV-T71F-YDF9 -Ok...I know the GTX is a beast, but I want to go all out. Is it pointless getting this card though? Am i better off just getting dual 7900GT's? I was planning on getting the one GTX now, and another later to link up, but I want to know if its just not worth the money.

ENERMAX Whisper II EG565P-VE FMA(24P) 535W -Should I move up to the 600W Noisetaker, dont know if 535 will be enough with future additional video card and perhaps another HD

AMD Opteron 175 1GHz HT Socket 939 Dual Core -Was going to get the 180, but its always out of stock...

OCZ Gold GX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM

Western Digital Caviar SE 250GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

THERMALRIGHT XP-90 Multiple Heatpipes Cpu Heatsink -Supposed to be the best, got some arctic silver of course too :)

I have a year old DVD Burner I'm supplying myself, and a floppy drive of course.

So there it is. Would love to know if I've either totally forgotten something, have any products that don't work together, and that whole video card thing. Thanks in advance. :)

board-good

gfx card-are you planning to sli the gtxes? if you dont plan on doing so then i recommend getting 2x7900gt.

psu-should do just fine

cpu-my change would be to pick out the 170... well actually it sorta depends if you gonna overclock.. if you are get the 170. ive seen users getting bad ocs with the 175s.

ram-thats good stuff... only thing i could possibly recommend is gskill hz 2x1gb pc4000.. but as they use the same chips it wouldnt rly matter...

all else is good. :D

just my .02,

Newegg.com sells a 16mb cache version of your quoted hard drive for $93

Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

You can buy the xp-90 at svc.com for $27 and if you use the link in the forum here, dfi-street gets some props (plus you save money buying from them). Lots of people here recommend pairing that with a panaflo (pick your cfm and dba combo).

As far as the PSU, it seems like you have a high budget, in that case I personally would recommend researching a little more and maybe going with an OCZ Powerstream 520w or another beefy PSU on the "A-List" here in this forum. I've been looking at that same enermax 565 PSU but found a link to this review of 5 psu's and that particular model of enermax wasn't the most stable. So, while I'm sure it will be fine and is on the recommended list...if you have a big budget, I would say look a little more there.

congrats on building your new rig. Be sure to post here when you get all the stuff and build it!

Wow great tips, thanks a lot. Looking at that stuff right now. I'm thinking of switching to that OCZ Powerstream, but I'm worried I'll still need to move up from there if I get the dual 7900GTX's, will I have to move up to 600W? I'll definitely post pix when I'm done building! Can't wait!