Please Help... New to Build Your Own

Forgive me if I've missed something completely obvious, but I think I may have some settings that are not correct. I would like to try and overclock my CPU one day, but before I do, I want to make sure I'm getting the best out of the components as they are currently set. I feel like my computer is not running as fast as it should be with the components I have. When I ran 3DMark05, I only achieved a score of around 6000 and when I ran 3DMark06, it dropped to 3500. I was reading through several posts in the forum and I can't find a setup like mine. I have 4Gb of DDR400 memory, yet the system only recognizes 3Gb. Also, The Video results from 3DMark seem to be equal to only one video card. I have two identical X1600PRO's and they are in Crossfire mode. I hope I included everything in my signature, and I also will try to attach my CPUZ results. If anyone can help me, that would be excellent! Thanks in advance...

Welcome to DFI-Street, and the wonderful world of Overclocking Insanity!

I am hardly any kind of a master, but I do have a few suggestions that may help in general.

First, take a deep breath, and calm down. This tends to be a very long path, and may be best taken in a frame of mind that is tranquil and relaxed. Really.

It will also be fun.

First thing to do is download the "DFI Overclocking Guide" found here.

The thread explains how to extract it.

Just kick back and read it through THREE TIMES before doing anything else.

And the first thing it teaches is how to get your rig STABLE, and then find the limits of EACH of your components.

Also read the thread about RAM “tight timings? loose timings? dividers? 1T or 2T? 754 or 939?”

Do a search of forum threads with [RESOLVED] and your topic.

These are the ones that have been fixed.

Also do a search for posts by RGone and Angry_Games - both Super-Mods here.

Just seeing them help others with all kinds of problems is both fun and the best school I think you can find.

And finally, for crying-out-loud, lose two of those ram sticks! :confused:

At least for now, and if you can you may want to return one pair.

One gig sticks are the hardest to make work well (though they DO work well, just harder)

The absolute hardest to get working right is FOUR sticks of any size.

With FOUR - ONE GIG STICKS? Boy, do you have your work cut out for you! :eek:

You can NOT run ram at 1T settings with four sticks.

At least put 'em away for now - the only thing I can even think of to use 'em for are a few games, anyway.

Now, Welcome again.

And keep checking back - someone competent will be by soon to really help you out and take me back to my "quite room". :nod:

Welcome to DFI-Street, and the wonderful world of Overclocking Insanity!

I am hardly any kind of a master, but I do have a few suggestions that may help in general.

Thank you for the tips... looks like I have my reading for the evening!

With FOUR - ONE GIG STICKS? Boy, do you have your work cut out for you! :eek:

You can NOT run ram at 1T settings with four sticks.

Awww ... I just HATE when I do this! :mad:

See this post here.

See, I told you to search posts by Angry_Games and RGone! :angel: