Opty now nude nude 15 degrees cooler:O

Guest Synchronize_merged

Guest Synchronize

Ok i was getting really high temps on my proc, smartguardian was reporting as high as 70c! on load. I convinced myself that there had to be something wrong with the onboard sensor. So i shrugged it off. But then i noticed i couldn't prime with the voltage higher than 1.5v. So i tried tweaking the bios/memory settings but nothing helped. I was like hmm? strange?

I then thought lemme buy a better cooler so i got the cnps9500. Temps dropped from 70c to 65c load. Again hmm? Then i got my new case that i'd been planning on getting. The TT armour, again temps dropped by 4c down to 61c. I was then able to prime at higher speeds so i then realised that the only reason why i can't go any higher was because of my damn temps....contemplating removing the IHS for a couple of days until i thought f*** it. I'm taking of that IHS to see what happens.

So i followed AG's tutorial with military precision and then got to work with a razor blade. Finally got it off, took me about 15 mins lol. cos i was so scared of doing damage. Now load temps are 46c! WTH? 15 degrees! Thats frikking crazy. So the temps reporting 65c and above were actually correct? OMG! Turns out that my problem was a faulty IHS attachment. The thermal paste was flakey and hard and the the actual IHS is way too thick. It also ways a tonne in comparison to the actual chip.

I would definately recommend doing this but you prolly won't get as good as results as i have though but somewhere between 4 and 10 degrees is very realistic!

Big thx to AG for his excellent TUT! :)http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43100

So did you have any problems remounting the 9500? I have been thinking really hard about popping off the top of my Opty but i am a little afraid of remounting my 9500 but i am itching like crazy to see what the difference will be....

So did you have any problems remounting the 9500? I have been thinking really hard about popping off the top of my Opty but i am a little afraid of remounting my 9500 but i am itching like crazy to see what the difference will be....

The CNPS9500 Is a fantastic cooler for Naked CPU's. I was running one on a Mobile Newark in my last system and they are a perfect match. The Heatsink is very light in comparison to other Bolt down coolers, and the all copper/heatpipe system cools very efficiently.

When installing on a Naked core CPU just remember to apply even pressure on the core. A CPU core is pretty durable on the top, but if you hit it from the side, you could very easily chip the core. Just take you're time, apply the AS5 on the core and set the cooler down right on top of it, then bolt her down.

I was very nervous the first time mounting the cooler on my newark as well, but if you just take your time you'll be fine.

BTW what are your temps like on your CPU right now? I'm running the stock cooler with the stock compound as of right now, but if the CNPS is showing much better results I'll go out and purchase another one to slap on this bad boy. :)

With this cooler I'm running @ 10x250 @ stock volts, but it still gets a little toasty under load. Ranging from 47-49C after 2+ hours of Prime.

Congrats, a fantastic result and well worth cacking your pants over whilst doing it. lol

My hat is off for you Synchronize!!

If it's not a stupid question, after clearing off all the cheap gunk, can you reattach the IHS with AS thermal adhesive and if so what's the temp difference from running naked?

@ cmay119

Thanks for the reassureing words, i will be popping the IHS off if a few days.

As for my temps, i am not entirely sure that my temps are accurate - i think they are close but i have an expert so i really don't know. Thats one of the big reasons i want to remove the IHS, so i can put a temp probe next to the core and find out if my expert is accurate. As my expert reports them now 34c/46c at about 21c ambient. i ordered an Aerogate II that should be here by Wednesday & when i get that i will test my cpu and post my findings.

Guest Synchronize

Like cmay119 said, the 9500 is perfect for naked opty's. Mine fits very snug and the 9500 being very light it's perfect. Just follow AG's tutorial :)

I would definately recommend doing this but you prolly won't get as good as results as i have though but somewhere between 4 and 10 degrees is very realistic!

But your situation was special. In your CPU the IHS didn't have proper contact with the die.

Guest Synchronize
But your situation was special. In your CPU the IHS didn't have proper contact with the die.

Yea and i got 15 degrees of my temps, i said others can't expect the same results maybe 4-10 degrees off. What's your point?