Chances of MB eating power supplies

What are the chances of a motherboard that is fine one minute being a power supply killer the next? I shut down my computer on Monday afternoon so I could swap the processor. I had an X2 38000 and upgraded to an X2 4400 on that machine. Well I installed the processor and when I hit the power button nothing worked. I then did a short CMOS clear to see if that was the issue. That did not work, so I did an over night CMOS clear. Well when the system did not boot I decided it was time to look other places and not call the board bad.

I pulled the power supply from the case (OCZ PowerStream 520) connected my water pump to it and tried to jumpstart the power supply outside of the case, I got nothing. I figure ok these things can happen parts can die. So being the smart person I am I said I have another decent power supply sitting in my chat rig.I broek down my gaming rig and removed all components to ensur enothing was grounded and causeing a short. I pulled the known good power supply, because my chat machine was running and i had to power it down to pull the power supply. I took it over to the work bench and connected it to my water pump, jumped it and the water pump came on. So I connected it to my DFI board and had no LEDS or anything so I was liek HMMMMMM. The wife called me to the bedroom for a minute to show me something on her computer. Next thing I know we smell something that smells hot I walk back to the work bench and the second power supply, which was not powered on at all is feeling very hot on the outside of the case. I disconnected it and figure after 2 hours I should make sure it still works. So I repeat the jumpstart drivign the water pump and i get no reaction from that power supply either. The only common ground between the 2 dead power supplies is the mother board.

So what are the chances of it claiming a third power supply? I am half tempted to buy another power supply just to see if it will kill that one as well :)

Hello,

Should there be something wrong with the board then yeah it can do that but could it have been something else in the board? (gfx card, water on the board :))

When you moved the CPU did you damage anything?

In this kind of situation you should try to get everything tested in another pc first, Don't try to kill another PSU.

Ok I have installed the Audigy 2ZS into my chat rig as well as my 7800GT both seem to work there. I am going to grab another socket 939 board so I can test X2 4400 in there. My X2 3800 is running flawless on an ECS board right now. There was no water on the board. I have water cooling in my rig but it is filled with MCT-5 instead of water. there are no leaks and the level has not changed since it has been filled.

I am leaning towards a board issue only because of how the second power supply got cooked.

I dunno if this will help you any but starting 3 months ago I had a problem with my mb and powersupply. At first it seemed that the mb was to blame, that it wasnt fully pulling the ps-on to ground and would only function if manually shorted. So I had my mb RMA'd. I got it back, and then the system would turn on at all, even if shorted. So, I had to RMA my PSU as well. I never heard back from either company, DFI or PCP&P, when I asked them if/what the problem with my component was. But I have had my computer only running 3 days now (yes it sucked being w/o my nice rig for that long). My sig tells all about my system.

Yes my Danger Den D4 is fine. When powered up the coolant flows thru the system just fine. seeing how it is a simple electrical motor that is a good indication it is working correctly. It is an instant on thing with no lag indicating that it is worn and having problems gettign started.