Random BSODs

I'm getting random BSODs in WinXP SP2 on my newly built DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D. I'm using two sticks of dual channel Kingston ValueRAM, 2x512MB. Most bios settings are stock, and RAM is running at 3-3-8-7-2T.

Previously the RAM was running at 1T but disabled CPC in an effort to stop the BSODs. Have also tried taking one stick out but doesn't seem to make much difference. Sticks were both in the yellow slots. Should they be in the orange ones?

Can't remember what voltage the RAM is running at - stock I assume - will find out. FSB is set at 200MHz.

Unsure what bios version I'm running. Recently upgraded my nForce drivers using nForce4_amd_6.70_winxp2k_english.exe. Should I use nForce4_x16_6.85_winxp2k_english.exe instead? (since it's an SLI board, even though I'm not running SLI)

Many thanks for any help

Michael

Turn off the system, unplug the cord and remove both rams, now install 1 stick on the orange slot farther away from the cpu. Turn system on and press delete to get to bios. On the main page select optimized defalult press enter and select yes. Hope that reboots. Now if it boots up fine then turn off the system again and unplug then install second stick of ram on the other orange slot.

Turn off the system, unplug the cord and remove both rams, now install 1 stick on the orange slot farther away from the cpu. Turn system on and press delete to get to bios. On the main page select optimized defalult press enter and select yes. Hope that reboots. Now if it boots up fine then turn off the system again and unplug then install second stick of ram on the other orange slot.

Thanks, but why orange and not yellow?

have you metested your ram?

Is your system oced?

it is a general practice to use the memory in orange slots.. so try shifting them to oranges..

Haven't memtest'd it yet, and no it isn't oc'd.

Your board is not SLI unless you mod it, there is plenty of threads in here to understand more about that in particular. You should only use the 6.70 since your board is not running both PCI-E at 16x but only 8x. That 6.85 driver is for the SLI X16 only. Most memory sticks have default timings and voltages present on a sticker, but not sure about Value Ram. Those timings aren't good either for stock 200MHz DDR400. The best i've seen is 2225 which could be easily done with OCZ memory. Try putting both sticks into the orange slots and go into your bios. Go into Geni Menu and at the bottom enable "Memtest86" which should test your memory to see if it's stable. I suggest reading some of the sticky's in AMD Overclocking as well to learn more about what you're doing. Also try to find out what memory timing and voltage are for your ram from the Kingston Website. You can easily do that by reading the memory stick for which model. I hope this helps....

Note: Whenever you have a new system built you should always test each component to see if you are stable at default "STOCK" speeds before installing Windows so you don't corrupt anything or have the issues you're now having. :)

Its a good time to run that memtest now, and do run it for at least three hrs.. ;)

And I do believe that the Kingston brand is not reccomended on the DFI boards.

Ok :)

What cost effective brand of memory would you recommend?

Your board is not SLI unless you mod it, there is plenty of threads in here to understand more about that in particular. You should only use the 6.70 since your board is not running both PCI-E at 16x but only 8x.

I'm running one X550 in one of the PCI-e 16x slots. The board jumpers are set for non-SLI mode. Are you saying my single PCI-e card is not actually running at 16x?

Kingston site appears to suggest 3-3-3 at 2.6v for my RAM.

http://www.valueram.com/config/partsinfoTe...400X64C3AK2/512

Just so I have it right, here is a screenshot from CPU-Z running one stick.

http://kcim.orcon.net.nz/memtiming.gif

Those timings are 3-3-3-8, right?

I'd suggest get an OCZ brand, mostly because there is a couple of guys here who works for them and they help out people with their settings. I got lucky with an OCZ PC4800 Ltd. Edition Platinum at Newegg, got it for half the price and been able to memtest it at ddr610. And besides they have the support forum on the Beedin Edge.

http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45