psu help

ayeayre

19 members have voted

1. 1.

• pc p&c TURBO-COOL 510 ASL
    • ocz powerstream 520w
    • ocz powerstream 600w
    • other (please post)

ok i need a psu, i want a really good psu, first i orderd an ocz powerstream 600w then read that alot of people were having problems with it with the expert boards so i canceled and now dont know which to go for..the pc p&c i have to get shipped from the U.S , the 520w shouldnt be a problem and the 600w might be a little hard to find now..the pc p & c is the most expensive and i dont want to spend more than thats worth. But ill get that defenatly if its the best choice.

Any please vote honestly and include some info if you can.

I want a psu that has sli for future, will allow me to overclock, allow for 3+ hdd's, lights and mods etc. and allow for some kind of extreme cooling (wait for the ocz phase change maybey) or water cooling. so yea I want a psu that can handle anything I shove down its throat :)

thanks for your help ppls..very much appreciated!

Now why did you do such a thing like that? You should of at least try. Just because one PSU doesn't work for some doesn't mean it will not work for most. Not sure about the specific model for that Turbo Cool 510 if it actually supports that 8PIN power connector on those Expert like the OCZ 600 SLI does or not. If later you want to go SLI with 2x7900GT's i wouldn't go for the 520W since you probably will add more drives/dvd-rws and more i hope. Just re-order that OCZ 600W SLI and see what happens so you can get that off your chest man....good luck! It's a kick butt PSU dude......

yea the guy doesnt have it stock tho..he could only get the 520, which is a shame because he was the cheapest, also 2nd and 3rd cheapest are also out :( which means i have to spend alot more now...ill keep looking for it else were tho..thanks..

Not really dude.

Heat issues with the newer rev's, because the fans spin to slow to cool it.

The rails at default are jacked way high.

The so called "power shield" cables, these, everyone of them are bad news for parts.

So that tosses out all the pci-e conenctors(2 of them), and 2 ide conenctors.

So no good pci-e, and the filtered ide conenctors are only useful for fans and such, not good at all for drives of any kind, or video cards.

Both freak out on those cables big time.

It's either because of the really small ground wires that they used just on those cables, or the caps they added at the end.

Other possibel issues could happen from the caps they used int he psu, as they are known bad ones.

However alot of dfi mobo's use the same name brand caps.

I have'nt had any big issue with them, so I guess any issues with those are like 1 and a million you know?

Bad name but still works.

But those cables and the fan speeds..., gotta have something done with them :(.

Peopel with the loud ver's of the 600w or 520w's, these people have it good.

People with the quiet ver's, they are gonna be plauged with tons of fluctuations and voltage drops.

The cables you can't do anything about unless you either tear off the caps on the end of the cables, or re-wire them for a bigger ground, I'm not sure which yet...

Shame really, limits cables quite a bit, and for those with pci-e cards, it screws them over bad(Likely isses are gonna be huge loss in bandwith, random issues liek missing aux power(nv type of error in logs) even when the cables are connected).

I got the 600w ver.

Really it's an awesome psu.

Just those cables, mine was a quiet ver.

I modded it so both fans run full speed now.

Later on I will add 2 more rails for 4 +12v adjustable rails for fun.

Then it will be a really kick but psu.

Still gotta figuer out what the real deal is with those 4 cables though.

I'll wait until I got some more stuff to work with, such as zip ties and black tape, etc, would like to find some shrink tubing too.

I am gonna have to reccomend the pcp&c because of the cable and heat issues with the ocz's.

With those fixed, it would be a great psu, better caps, then it would contend with any other psu out there.

it seems that ocz have discontinued the current powerstreams and have brought about new ones, the new 600w i just saw on their site has the blue led not the green, that probably explains all the stores dont have them, they must be waiting on the new ones..any input on this? im not sure what the differences are..would be nice to hear from andyocz i think thats the name, think he works at ocz, not sure.

the problem with the pc p&c is its hard to get for me..(well now even the ocz) but at least its comming..not sure its worth the trouble. I mean its possible to get, but buying from overseas usually has alot of disadvantages and inconviences..

Think i might leave the psu for now, and see whats happening, as I am pretty lost atm lol

Thanks..

I got the blue one.

I ordered it just before christmas and got it right afterwards.

It's the slow fan model.

The green one is likely gotta be the one with the loud/full fpeed fans.

And yeah, it is a shame.

Took me forever to pinpoint some of my major problems, only to find that the majority of it was those cables.

Had burners dissapear quite offen on me, which was probably causing my hd issues, because they were probably dissapearing in windows cuasing all sorts of probs with drives on the same ide chain.

My 6600gt was throwing a fit on it, I evetually got sick of it and tossed the card.

I should of just tried the normal cables :.

After I took it apart I noticed the smaller ground wires on those shielded cables.

So it's either that or the caps at the end of those cables under the shrick tubing.

Yesterday I put both burners on normal cables and they are now working flawlessly.

One is a benq, one is compaq lg.

The benq, a ew 162i 47n9, the lg, a gce-8400B 1.03 with udma2 instead of pio mode.

Both drives would totally freak, the benq ramdomly not working for dvd+r's.

The lg would work one boot, cold boots, on warm boots it would fail totally and not even be detected in the bios as there.

Throwing bsod's at me and everything with that setup..., and even prime errors.

With just the benq, I was having ramdom errors on one of my hd's, the one sharing the chan with the benq.

Now I have no issues at all, speed is back up and etc.

Not just by feal, but also by smart logs and etc.

My 6600gt lossed over 1000megs of bus bandwith, sometimes more.

I had been running around 2300megs a sec for the agp bus bandwith, but with that, I was getting a max of 1200, sometimes even 200!

In the end I started getting missing aux power errors.

It downclocked my memory down to around 300mhz, from 1300mhz, and my core from 550 to 800 mhz 2d!

Really screwed my day over for a bit there until I re-inserted the connector.

Did it again afterwards a few days later though.

Swaped for the other filtered ide conenctor, and the prob went away but still a huge bandwith issue.

If I put my old quadro4 in, which is screwed up right now anyways from long long ago, clocked at 300mhz core, 200mhz mem, it beats out the 6600gt in everyway when it was on that psu.

When the 6600gt was on my enermx 350w, it was getting that 2300megs a sec :, and beating my quadro4 in allmost everyway which would of been normal.

I now get 900megs a sec with my quadro4, which is'nt bad for agp4x oc'ed to 100mhz, and 200mhz mem on that card.

I really could'nt ask more out of that until I fix the card.

Anyways I was getting ramdom bsod's, prime errors and the like just from having my dvdrw on that filtered power cable.

Afterwards, everything seems real good, like it was before I got the psu.

Except since I've had alot of experience with it and etc, I tweaked the raila bit(not perfect yet), and I get extra stability.

And yes, I have tried swapping ide cables and power cables, redoing them many many times before I removed the filtered power cabes from my drives.

I filtered the 4pin(4+4 for those with expert boards), using a choke(external), ferrite core based, allows a bit lower vcore.

I can't remmeber by how much exactly, I think it was 1.825 I needed, then 1.725 worked like on the modded enermax, but better(passing some tests at 1.675v or 1.7v I can't remember).

It's quite a good psu.

Not many ide conenctors, but it suffices for 4 hd's, and 2 burners.

Then those 2 filtered ide's, which are only ok for fans and such(not much for extra ide conenctors...).

The sata, should be fine.

I don't have any sata drives though.

The pci-e, 2 of them I'm afraid these are gonna cause issues.

Alot of people don't notice any change in bandwith, matter of fact, they probably would'nt know that generic benchs are a bit lower just because of this.

That's the messed up part, because no one would even know they had an issue...

Not unless they started getting those missing aux power logs.

Or if they had those filtered ide connectors hooked up to drives, in which case they would probably suspect the rails being off a bit :.

I don't have a dmm so I can't tell how high it was stock on mine.

but it seemed darn high.

I can go back to the ref voltages later after I get one though to find out, as I got them written down somewhere.

I heard the pcp&c's have loud fans.

This would be a good thing.

The fans at full speed, in the ocz, are nto that loud, but there are noticeable.

It's probably the same on the pcp&c's.

Nothign like a tornado or anything.

The diff's between the fans at high speed and stock speed.

Well, my +5v standby is up .5v.

My +12v is up around .1 or .2v.

My +3.3v is up .1v.

Fluctuatin is down quite a bit, lots really, mainly the +12v rail.

The other rails are allmost the same, but they don't fluctuate quite as much.

Going by software anyways.

I'm quite happy with it now.

But I truly can't reccomend my 3-4months hardship on anyone else, even though I know of the main issues now, it's not like I can reccomend a $200 psu and expect them to mod the fans to full speed by hooking them up straight to the +12v rail, then expect them to not use the filtered cables for cards and drives, especially if they had pci-e cards.

The pcp&c is around the same price.

Just make sure you get the right rev or whatever, I think there's one with only a 4pin instead of a 4+4 pin.

You want it all of course ;).

I'm about to build a new machine and am considering an Expert board. I am also pondering what to get for a PSU. After reading this thread and others I'm pretty turned off by the OCZ Powerstream 600. Unfortunately, it looks like the PC P&C 510 SLI doesn't support the 8 pin power connector that the Expert requires. If you look at the specs for the PC P&C it lists only a P4 connector along with the 24 pin. The Expert board is also not on the list of supported boards on the PC P&C web site. I hope someone can give us a definitive answer on this, but the way I see it the PC P&C 510 and the DFI Expert don't hook up.

I'm about to build a new machine and am considering an Expert board. I am also pondering what to get for a PSU. After reading this thread and others I'm pretty turned off by the OCZ Powerstream 600. Unfortunately, it looks like the PC P&C 510 SLI doesn't support the 8 pin power connector that the Expert requires. If you look at the specs for the PC P&C it lists only a P4 connector along with the 24 pin. The Expert board is also not on the list of supported boards on the PC P&C web site. I hope someone can give us a definitive answer on this, but the way I see it the PC P&C 510 and the DFI Expert don't hook up.

I dont know about the Expert not being on the list but I think you need to look at this. I have the Expert and the PC P&C 510 ASL, and it does have the 8 pin plug and it rocks on my Expert. Here, look at these links. :D

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10854

http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/vie...php?show=T51ASL