Graphics card blocks chipset fan completely!

Says it all I think. My GPU (Sapphire Radeon X1900XT) is physically contacting the chipset fan (I havent conected the chipset fan up, when I try and manually spin it I can see it contatcs the GPU).

The GPU's sitting in PCI-E slot 1 - can I move it to PCI-E 3 (or the other full size slot, think its PCIE-3).

If not, what can I do.

Also, as said havent connected the chipset fan up to the PSU - theres a 4 pin IDE like molex connector on the motherboard near the chipset fan, I dont seem to have a 4 pin connector on my PSU - I have 4 pin mollexes and they are labelled as Hard Drive molex connectors, though they are 4 pin - will they be ok.

I tried pluggin one in and nothing happened, though this could well be as the X1900XT is RIGHT on top of them, actually touching the GPU.

Getting desperate now - what can I do with this chipset fan GPU issue???

Any help appreciated.

It's okay for your gpu to sit on the chipset fan.

You can use the lower pci-e slot if you prefer, the performance will be about the same.

There should be 4 places to connect power on your motherboard. 2 of these are non "standard" connections as they are only done by dfi AFAIK.

See step 7 in this guide

the 4 pin thing above the chipset, i believe ure referring to, you use the same type of connector u power ure CDRom with, (as in u could take the one out of CDROM, and plug it in there) and i use the x1900xt and mine might touch the chipset fan...but it still spins at 7000 rpms..so i'd say thats good enough LOL

Ok, thanks for the help guys - the chipset fan is now ok (I had to reseat the GPU, and move the power cable form the chipset fan so it wasnt being crimped by the GPU).

And I now see about the power connectors too - thanks.

my X1900XT is comming on friday ( in 2 days)

could you explain to me and even post a picture to tell me how to avoid the X1900XT touching the chipset because as far as i am concerned there is nothing you can do about it as the top of the cipset is higher than the pci-e slot, i want to have my X1900XT in the highest slot (closest to the CPU)

my X1900XT is comming on friday ( in 2 days)

could you explain to me and even post a picture to tell me how to avoid the X1900XT touching the chipset because as far as i am concerned there is nothing you can do about it as the top of the cipset is higher than the pci-e slot, i want to have my X1900XT in the highest slot (closest to the CPU)

Put it in the right way. ;)

DFi conforms to certaint standards and those cards will NOT prevent the fan from spinning, yes it is very close though. If you find it does contact it reseat the gpu until it doesn't, otherwise you have a serious problem with you card or board.