Sign in to follow this  
Daddyjaxx

Anyone have Ballistix PC3200?

I haven't had any issues with the memory and I can actually get it to ~270 before it craps out, but only have it at 237 now because I get the best OC with the 11x multiplier than the 10x. I'm guessing since I have the oldest Ballistix this may be why mine works better than some. Here are my settings now. Does anyone have an idea how I can tweak some of the settings? There is nothing in the database for this RAM.

twaek7sk.jpg

Hello

A little off topic but your board can easily run 263 fsb x 10. What speed do u get at 10x max? Have you tried ot run the chip at 1.4V as toledo do not like too much voltage from what I observed. Maybe you can get 263 fsb on that stable.

I can get 260, but it takes more V Core than I have now to do it. I can get it to 247x11 but it takes over 1.525 in the BIOS to do it and that's more than I want to give it water cooled or not.

I did Memtest the memory for 24 hours at 267 and it was fine.(2.8v) 268 or higher and I get massive errors no matter how loose I set it or volts up to 2.9, which again is my limit for voltage. Crucial saysthis memory is 2.8, but I'm at 2.6 now.

I had some (just sold them due to upgrade), and couldn't get any better than 2.5-3-3-6 at a decent overclock (I was stable at 267mhz), and didn't spend much time on the other settings. All at 2.7v.

I could do 3-3-3-8 at 280mhz though (8x multiplier in my case).

I'm actually happy with my OC. I have an FX-60 for less than half the price.

What does baffle me is my last CPU was the 3800+ Venice which I really struggled between that and the 3700+ San Diego. I chose the Venice for the extra clock speed over the extra cache. Now I go for the 4400+ over the 4200 for the extra cache and everyone recommends the 3800 now. Granted the 3700 and 3800 were around the same price at the time, so I chose the 4400+ this time over the 4600+ or 4800+ (never really an option too expensive). You can always add speed, but you can't add cache. :)

If you're happy with 240mhz-ish, then you might be able to squeeze something out of them - I remember that over about 220mhz wasn't possible with cas 2.

I focused on trying 2.5-3-2-6 and 2.5-2-3-6 and neither could run through memtest (I do tests #5 and #8) without errors. However, I'm pretty sure I only tried at 267mhz, not in between.

and just a reminder ram bandwidth doesnt amount to much. If you are having problems then use a divider.

I benched this out and posted it all on another forum.

in CS:S i score a 228 fps with max aa af with my memory @ 265

I lost 1% when i dropped my ram oc to 208.

[edit].....

CS:S Video Stress Test

1024x768

6x 16x MAX settings (FPS MAX set to 450)

Test 1

265x11 1:1 ratio

1to1ratio2653so.th.jpg

265x11 166 ratio (effective ram @208mhz)

166ratio2656gy.th.jpg

= 1% decrease in FPS with a 32% (57mhz) drop in ram speed.