Power Supply Question

The angry one has spoken...I was just basing my comments on what I had seen on other sites, and from JonnyGURU's reviews and his comments on this PSU...maybe he doesn't use DFI though. Modified my post accordingly.

AG you crack me up man, sounds like you need a good game of hockey to work out some kinks...raaaaaaaar :shake:

yeah I was thinkin' the same lol :)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

man thats what I was afraid of.....now im not quite sure what to do. I really like these boards (sli d, dr expert etc) i guess I could try it out but from the sound of it odds are good that I could fry my system!! any suggestions guys?? I appreciate all your help

so anyone got any ideas with regards to my dillema??

Since your system isn't ready yet you got some time, don't you. Why not try to sell the Ultra X-Connect. Its look is all what some wants to get. Maybe you loose some bucks, but it could be well worth it to make room for a future proof PSU. If you want a modular there's some alternatives in the recommendation list, otherwise you might get a very good non-modular PSU for the same price as the Ultra-X.

Now is the time to make a decision before your system is up running.

so the PSU with a 20 pin connect and 4 pin that connect to each other by pushing them togeather is native but the one that converts 20 pin to 24 pin is not native and is not supported by the NF4 lanparty series right, or am i wrong

20 pin connect and 4 pin that connect to each other by pushing them togeather is native! Yes that is correct. And the four wires that ADAPT and sit next to the 20pins and then push down into the 24pin ATX connector; those four wires go all the way back to and into the power supply itself.

RGone...

so the PSU with a 20 pin connect and 4 pin that connect to each other by pushing them togeather is native but the one that converts 20 pin to 24 pin is not native and is not supported by the NF4 lanparty series right, or am i wrong

so anyone got any ideas with regards to my dillema??

Well, are you able to RMA the Ultra X? If so you might want to try one of the other recommended PSUs, but if you get the Expert beware that some of those recommended PSUs have issues with that board (do a search on cold boot issues). Me, I first got an Enermax Liberty, which had to go back on warranty and am now running my Fortron Epsilon with no issues at all.

So what is Ultra X doing with their new units that is causing them grief...anyone know? That's a serious question, as I was under the impression they were now using the Topower P5 unit (same as OCZ Modstream I think). Again, not the "best" units, but there are plenty of people using PSUs that use those Topower P5 units that don't seem to have issues with them "burning up their entire system". Are they just really incompetent when it comes to putting them all together in their shiny boxes?

Got no clue what Ultra is doing with their power supplies. But since nothing initiates at all from a computer without the power supply first of all; I tend to make sure it is the best I can get. Good clean and heavy emphasis on the clean is very important for a power supply. Clean power in means the board is not spending half its' time cleaning power before it can be used. Just a very final filtering on the board and then good power to operate the ones and zeros.

And then there is a review that can mean something in all the plethora of reviews. I have a particular fondness for this sites manner of reviewing. More than just a gushing about a shiney case and cables and such but a real effort to get some sort of look into the useability of the supply in the real world.

Like this review> http://www.pcstats.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=1816 No I did not say that place is perfect or anywhere near the be all, end all in power supply checking out, but I have followed their methodology and found out why many units that are in the mainstream; just do not measure up. Their manner of looking into effeciency has been a revelation to me for sure.

But most will do as they will anyway and sometimes when the roadblock is large enough to their progress will there be a slowing to take a look around at what may well be issues and reasons to have taken another road. Good luck men.

RGone...

I have the Ultra X2. I'm not going to worry about what angry_games said. But don't get me wrong I will take his warning seriously. But as i see it, my system doesn't look like it's pushing the psu to its limits. so i'm not getting restless over this. i'll cry when my psu blows up, then again i have a new excuse to get a new computer.

Seriously, all this news about Ultra X2s blowing up in your face must be because this ppl are serious overclockers? Using SLI/Crossfire with too many other many other components?

I mean they offer lifetime warranty if you register online. If they do that and every single one of their psu exhibits such problems, surely they would have gone out of business by now, or thereabouts.

Anyway this was my first ever system i built. so i guess a bit of inexperience as i didn't know that psu were that important. I've been using mine for about a month now. so far so good and have also started to overclock my amd x2 to 2.6GHz. Hope it doesn't blow up in my face then when i start prime95 tomorrow. Hehe..

Cheers & fingers crossed.

Q1.will the enermax liberty 620 be ok with ultra-D and X1900XT with X2 @ 2600mhz

Q2.is the liberty 24 pin native

A1 = Should be. Not sure what the draw on those cards is...thought it was pretty high, but the Liberty is probably one of the best modulars out there (very stable). That said, many will steer you clear of modular, and having just switched from the Liberty to the Fortron Epsilon...the 'functionality' of the modular units now seems pretty over-rated to me.

I'm using an Antec P180 case which many reviewers state work best with a modular unit, but the Epsilon actually works better in this case than the Liberty did. I know the Epsilon is not on the DFI recommened list, and they are fairly new units, but the fact that I have yet to see someone with one have an issue with DFI boards, and comments from RGone and ExRoadie seem to be a good omen.

Plus the 600W is actually cheaper than the Liberty (at least here in Can.)

A2 = Yes 24 pin native.