Power Supply Question

Hi all! Ok Im not new to computers by any means however I am new to building them , so I apologize for sounding like such a noob...lol! Anyway, Im in the process of building a new system (my first one actually) and after MUCH research and a LOT of thought I've decided to go with a DFI mobo. But before I pick one up I need some clarification on a power supply issue. I've read in quite a few places, including this forum, that a true 24 pin main needs to be used on these boards. I have and Ultra X connect II 550W modular PSU with a 20+4 main power connector. The end of the cable that plugs into the psu is 24 pins and the end that goes to the mobo is 24 pins also, however the last 4 pins can be pulled away for use on a 20 pin board. I read a review about the expert board on a website and the person mentioned that a 20+4 couldnt be used, it could only be 24 pins. so I guess my question is will the PSU I bought work or did i waste my money?? Also are there any other connections needed besides the 8 pin 12v?? Again I apologize for sounding like a noob but I just want to be sure?? I would really appreciate any help/info. Thanks again guys.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do I need any other power connections besides the main and the 8 pin 12v?? the reason i ask is because of this quote...... the floppy power connector seems strange but then again i am new to this.

"This board is power hungry, make sure you have a good power supply around 500 watts and it supports a 24 pin connector, (most power supplies have a 20 pin connector). There are 4 power connectors needed to run this board, the 24 pin connector, a seperate 4 pin connector, a 4 pin molex, and last a floppy power connector. If you want to have a floppy on your system, you'll need a power supply with 2 floppy power connectors."

i would say you did waste your money on that psu, because it is known to be a pos...imho

You are talking about the old x-connects which are 20 pins....his is the new 24pin EPS12V, SLI Certified.....how can it be crap?

You are talking about the old x-connects which are 20 pins....his is the new 24pin EPS12V, SLI Certified.....how can it be crap?

my bad...didnt take notice of that... :rolleyes:

i am still not a fan of modular psu or of ultra x

i would still day ocz...but since he has that psu..he might as well use it, but i dont think its on the approved list

With the reccomendation of the OCZ powerstream...If you are going to get an SLI-DR Expert I would suggest reading about the cold boot issues that have been caused by the lack in compatibility between OCZ and DFI SLI- DR Experts.....I along with many others have a cold boot issue.....Maybe your PSU will work fine so dont hurry out and follow the lead as many have and go with OCZ

EDIT There is no "known" issue with any particular PSU or manufacturer. There are issues with newer high power PSUs that occur with every PSU vendor.

You already have the Ultra so it looks like you are SOL dude

Here is a review by Jonny GURU on it and it scores pretty well and I trust Jonny's reviews as he definitely knows his stuff, but he tests with a PSU load tester and these PSUs are apparently not good when used on DFI boards.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/PSU/X2-550W/X2-550W.html

Is it the best PSU out there? Hell no man, try and get rid of that thing like it was the clap. Send it to AG and he can use it as a puck in his next game :tooth:

all of the Ultra-X psu's, whether 20 or 24 pin, are still on the NOT RECOMMENDED list because they are underpowered, problematic, cheap, and we have seen nothing but problems with them on the DFI NF4 motherboards.

Before you go arguing that these are the new ones, I AM TALKING ABOUT THE NEW ONES ALSO.

as I said in another thread before a bunch of know-it-alls told me I didn't know what I was talking about (heh, like I don't work here and see problems all day long from thousands of users in teh forum and in official tech support email...but hey, what do I know right?), you ignore my experience, knowledge, and advice at your own peril.

As at least 300+ others have found out with both old and new Aspire and Ultra-X psu's...and some lost more than their psu when it burned out from the high power drain of these systems (good luck trying to get AMD to replace cpu's and vid card makers to replace gpu's when a cheap psu burns up the entire system).

but again, some of you know more than we do here at these forums because you apparently live and work here more than we do and of course you get to read all the support email and listen to all the support phone calls so why wouldn't we believe you over us???

all of the Ultra-X psu's, whether 20 or 24 pin, are still on the NOT RECOMMENDED list because they are underpowered, problematic, cheap, and we have seen nothing but problems with them on the DFI NF4 motherboards.

Before you go arguing that these are the new ones, I AM TALKING ABOUT THE NEW ONES ALSO.

as I said in another thread before a bunch of know-it-alls told me I didn't know what I was talking about (heh, like I don't work here and see problems all day long from thousands of users in teh forum and in official tech support email...but hey, what do I know right?), you ignore my experience, knowledge, and advice at your own peril.

As at least 300+ others have found out with both old and new Aspire and Ultra-X psu's...and some lost more than their psu when it burned out from the high power drain of these systems (good luck trying to get AMD to replace cpu's and vid card makers to replace gpu's when a cheap psu burns up the entire system).

but again, some of you know more than we do here at these forums because you apparently live and work here more than we do and of course you get to read all the support email and listen to all the support phone calls so why wouldn't we believe you over us???

man thats what I was afraid of.....now im not quite sure what to do. I really like these boards (sli d, dr expert etc) i guess I could try it out but from the sound of it odds are good that I could fry my system!! any suggestions guys?? I appreciate all your help

The angry one has spoken...I was just basing my comments on what I had seen on other sites, and from JonnyGURU's reviews and his comments on this PSU...maybe he doesn't use DFI though and he is using a PSU load tester for an hour or so, not extended use on a loaded system or with DFI boards. Modified my post accordingly.

AG you crack me up man, sounds like you need a good game of hockey to work out some kinks...raaaaaaaar :shake: