Sign in to follow this  
icemonkey

Cant get OCZ ram working in dual channel mode

I've just built a new pc with the specs below but I'm having trouble with the OCZ ram sticks. They won't work in dual channel mode. When I put one stick in each orange slot and try to boot I get the POST beep saying ram module error. The same happens when I try the two sticks in the yellow slots.

At first I though I had some dud ram but both sticks work fine when I put one in DIMM1 (yellow) and the other in DIMM2 (orange). The problem then is that the sticks run in single channel (64 bit) mode and only at DDR333.

Funny thing is, the machine successfuly passed the POST a couple of times and showed the sticks in 128 bit mode but wouldn't boot. I've tried so many different combinations since then that I can't remember what setting I used.

I spent big bucks on quality ram and I am really annoyed that I can't get it working. I've tried all the combinations I could think of and tried a bunch of different timing settings but with no success. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Try 1 stick at a time in farthest orange slot from CPU.

Boot. Enter BIOS. Manually set timings as speced for your RAM. Enable Memtest in BIOS (Genie BIOS=> last option Memetest=>set to enabled). Save and exit.

Run memtest for a few hours on each stick individually.

If you have issues, try bumping RAM voltage up from stock + 0.1v

You know what, If the memory was bought in a set, Im pretty sure the guys over at bleedin edge would be happy to either swap or replace your modules. Go to that site, they have a few OCZ tech dudes over there for support. You may know of the site. They have helped me a couple of times.

One other thing in particular, OCZ sticks normaly love the higher voltages, Not these.... Lower your voltage some and they will probably start working like you want..I'm not positive, but I think mine leveled out very stable at like 2.6v or less. I'll check and post back, I just remember, as soon as I lowered the memory voltage, things got stable. Not one problem since.

After you try the above ...

I'm going out on a limb here, but looking at a different approach -

I'm somewhat suspicious of that Antec PSU, esp. with an Expert board.

Also check that you are using a full 24 pin main cable, 8 pin ESP cable AND a floppy 4pin cable to the motherboard (beside the e-vga slot).

Use NO adaptors.

This stuff has caused all sorts of grief for many with the Expert, it seems.

If you have another PSU available, you might try it and see there's any change in behavior.

You might want to try these settings.. I have same mobo and ram and power supply just that its a power stream not mod stream any how I been running these stiks now at 2.7ghz mem 1:1 ratio 1T 270x10 with a X2 3800 no problems so far ;)

(Taken from the Bleeding edge forum)

http://www.bleedinedge.com/forum/showpost....546&postcount=6

FSB Bus Frequency............................. 250 MHz

LDT/FSB Frequency Ratio....................... 4x

CPU/FSB Frequency Ratio....................... 8

PCI eXpress Frequency......................... 100

CPU Startup Voltage........................... Startup

CPU Voltage .................................. 1.450v

Above CPU VID................................. Auto

LDT Voltage .................................. 1.20v

ChipSet (NF4) Voltage ........................ 1.52V

DRAM Voltage ................................. 2.71v

+0.03 if not 3.2V ............................ N/A

Memclock (DRAM Frequency) .................... 200

1T/2T Timing (Command Per Clock).............. 1T (CPC Enabled)

CAS Latency (Tcl)............................. 3T

RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd)..................... 4T

Min RAS# active time (Tras)................... 8T

Row precharge time (Trp)...................... 3T

Row Cycle time (Trc).......................... 11T

Row refresh cyc time (Trfc)................... 16T

Row to Row delay (Trrd)....................... 3T

Write recovery time (Twr)..................... 3T

Write to Read delay (Twtr).................... 2T

Read to Write delay (Trwt).................... 3T

Refresh Period (Tref)......................... 3120

DRAM Bank Interleave.......................... Enabled

DQS Skew Control.............................. Auto

DQS Skew Value................................ 0

DRAM Drive Strength........................... Level 07

DRAM Data Drive Strength...................... Level 2 (Reduce 30%)

Max Async Latency............................. 8ns

DRAM Response Time............................ Normal

Read Preamble Time............................ 6ns

IdleCycle Limit............................... 128

Dynamic Counter............................... Disable

R/W Queue Bypass.............................. 16x

Bypass Max.................................... 4x

32 Byte Granularity........................... Disable (4 Bursts)

Hey guys, thanks for the suggestions but no go with the OCZ ram. Here's what I tried:

1. Plugged in floppy power cable near number 1 PCI-E slot (I hadn't done that before) so am now using a full 24 pin main cable, 8 pin ESP cable and 4 pin floppy cable.

2. Put each stick in the orange slot farthest from the CPU and ran memtest - both sticks ok individually.

3. Set BIOS settings as per Pain79's post from Bleeding edge (thanks!).

4. Booted successfully with one stick.

5. Shutdown and added 2nd stick to other orange slot. Tried to boot but got the same POST beep error as before (memory module error).

6. Removed 2nd stick and changed DRAM voltage to 2.71v. Replaced 2nd stick and tried to boot - POST error.

7. Removed 2nd stick and changed DRAM voltage to 2.6v. Replaced 2nd stick again and tried to boot - POST error. Very disappointing!!

I was hoping one of those suggestions would work but alas, I'm still stuck on single channel. The memory was bought as a kit and I thought the sticks were tested at the factory to make sure they will run as a pair and they appear ok in memtest so I'm thinking the sticks are ok...unless I should run memtest for more than a couple of hours each to discover a problem.

I'm wondering if there could be a problem with DIMM3 and/or 4 on the mobo. Should the system boot with a single stick in DIMM3 or 4, because it doesn't. It gives the same POST error. Anyway not sure if this is normal... :confused:

I'm really keen to get these expensive sticks working properly so if you guys have any other suggestions fire away and I'll try them out. Thanks.

I am having a similar problem. I just recieved OCZ PC4200 Platinum Edition RAM as an RMA for PC4000VX, which was working in dual channel when one stick decided to die. When I put the new modules in, they will not work in dual channel (3 red led's). Only with one farthest from CPU and one in top yellow slot (single channel mode) or with only one in orange slot farthest from CPU. Also, if the modules are together, in single channel, they need to be run in 2T to make it work. Here is a link to another person with a similar problem, again OCZ ram.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49208

Someone help us out!

I had this problem with DDR600 kit from OCZ. The ONLY setting that allowed me to boot properly was a drive strength of 10. Boot with one stick, set everything to very loose timings and go through each drive strength till one works with dual channel.

If your having problems with multiple types of memory in your expert try a different cpu. My 170 Opty will not work properly with Ballistix pc4000 2GB, OCZ Planinum EB 2GB, and Corsair 3200xl 1GB in the expert. Not booting or crashing in dual channel regardless of bios or settings, and it worked fine with single module. All memory works fine with my dh7-cg Newcastle 3800+ in my expert...

Im having a similar problem with my memory working in Dual Channel mode. I cant seem to get it going...what am I doing wrong. Ive followed the above steps:

-different slots

-bleeding edge (Ultra D with OCZ Plat Rev. 2 Timings)

Have'nt done the Memtest. I figured chaning sticks in the first orange slot will serve some justice. However, at the current time I am running Memtest now. Does it have to be v3.2>? I only have the test that came as a default in my Bios, v.1.55.

Also, I am very new at this; this is my very first build, so be nice. Looking at the Bleedingedge_forums , they said to change my CPU, LDT, Chipset and Dram voltage, however in my BIOS screen, they were blanked out blue. I was unable to manually change these. Could someone address this problem as well as my dual channel problem?