Win2k Pro Problems

berto

My Win2k setup for some reason wont boot. It gets to the Starting Windows thing, then gives me an error and tells me to use the repair function on the cd. I didnt have an emergency repair disk for this computer install, but i made one from another comp that doesnt have the same specs though. It i use the disk it says all of my files dont match, but that make sense. When i use locate my installation it tells me that it cant find win2k. How would i use the recovery console to fix my problem? or can i reinstall windows without it reformating? or can i install XP Pro or Win Server 2k3 so i can access my data to back up and reformat and do a clean install?

then gives me an error

The error it gives could be a helpful thing.

recovery console to fix my problem

Microsoft has documentation on the recovery console. Can't go much more into detail since you left out one vital thing... what the error is.

can i reinstall windows without it reformating

Yes, but it's not recomended.. if it's just something your going to do as a temp fix to get your files backed up, then go for it.

Sorry about forgetting the error, but here it is:

Windows 2000 Could not start because the following File is Missing or Corrupt: \WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEMced

Also....

When reinstalling windows so i can get my data, would it try to reformat or what? I dont want to try reinstalling without knowing this....

Edited by berto

Hrmm...

If im reading this it says i need an emergency repair disk, but i dont have one. And im guessing i want to follow the steps to replace the system hive, correct?

And, coudl trying this possibly make my drive corrupt, and need to format???

Edited by berto