Sign in to follow this  
ButtChew

Does This Look Good?

The way I have my rig setup with my budget, I can spend the alloted $630 on the processor. Now you reccomend the 165 or 170, but my budget allows for a more expensive Opty ... the best one for my "processor budget" would be the Opteron 175.

170 is 2.0 Ghz

175 is 2.4 Ghz

Both have 2x1MB L2Cache

Is the 175 just not price efficient?

I would get the 170, if you know and are comfortable with overclocking. If not, just get your 4800+ or opty 175. Youre "guarenteed" (though there is no guarentee but youre really really likely to get 2.4ghz+ on the opty 170)

The way I have my rig setup with my budget, I can spend the alloted $630 on the processor. Now you reccomend the 165 or 170, but my budget allows for a more expensive Opty ... the best one for my "processor budget" would be the Opteron 175.

170 is 2.0 Ghz

175 is 2.4 Ghz

Both have 2x1MB L2Cache

Is the 175 just not price efficient?

forget the 175, its known to clock poorly. get the 165/170, forget all x2s... if u rly want an x2 get the 4400, oc it, and spend the extra ~200 or so to beef up some other components...

get the 165/170, forget all x2s... if u rly want an x2 get the 4400, oc it, and spend the extra ~200 or so to beef up some other components...

Do you say this because OC'ing a 170 up to 2.4Ghz would be more cost effective than buying an X24800? Which would be better, the OC'd 170 at 2.4Ghz, or an X2 running at 2.8Ghz?

Sorry for the bazillions questions, this whole "Opty" thing hit me from nowhere as I'm an AMD noob for sure.

As always, thanks much.

Do you say this because OC'ing a 170 up to 2.4Ghz would be more cost effective than buying an X24800? Which would be better, the OC'd 170 at 2.4Ghz, or an X2 running at 2.8Ghz?

Sorry for the bazillions questions, this whole "Opty" thing hit me from nowhere as I'm an AMD noob for sure.

As always, thanks much.

no, an opty will surely out-overclock an x2. and no, i havent seen too many x2s that have gotten that far. and yes it would be more cost effective (170 vs x2 4800).. thats a nobrainer... u save over 200 bucks

opties rae the way to go. im sorry if u like the x2s, but im fine w/ that; im just an "opty fanboy."

basically, an opty will surely oc better than an x2. imo the x2 toledos arent worth it, unless you wanna have a "true" fx60. (the fx60 is based on the toledo core)

I'm not really partial to either, kinda neutral.

I guess the deciding factor for me would be the ease of properly OC'ing the 170 the extra 400mhz. Im "puter savvy" and all that jazz, but have never OC'd a processor before.

Comparing a [email protected] to a stock X24800, what would the performance differences be?

I'm not really partial to either, kinda neutral.

I guess the deciding factor for me would be the ease of properly OC'ing the 170 the extra 400mhz. Im "puter savvy" and all that jazz, but have never OC'd a processor before.

Comparing a [email protected] to a stock X24800, what would the performance differences be?

a 170 to 2.4ghz? easy. probably no voltage changes needed. ive seen ppl using a 165 that oced to 2.5ghz or so with stock voltage. just raise the fsb from 200mhz to 240mhz (on the 170) and u have 2.4ghz.

i dunno.. i still would pick the opty :D

a 170 to 2.4ghz? easy. probably no voltage changes needed. ive seen ppl using a 165 that oced to 2.5ghz or so with stock voltage. just raise the fsb from 200mhz to 240mhz (on the 170) and u have 2.4ghz.

i dunno.. i still would pick the opty :D

Sweet deal, thanks again man! Appreciate all your input. The money I would save from the Opty would let me get a nice water cooling system, to support the OC'ing and allow me to OC my video card as well, and even the NB .... which sounds really tempting.

Might start an "Opty 170 @ 2.4ghz vs. Stock X24800" thread. I'm gonna use this rig for awhile, and primarily lots of gaming .... just wanna make sure I'm taking the best route :D

Thanks again.

Sweet deal, thanks again man! Appreciate all your input. The money I would save from the Opty would let me get a nice water cooling system, to support the OC'ing and allow me to OC my video card as well, and even the NB .... which sounds really tempting.

Might start an "Opty 170 @ 2.4ghz vs. Stock X24800" thread. I'm gonna use this rig for awhile, and primarily lots of gaming .... just wanna make sure I'm taking the best route :D

Thanks again.

hehe, no problem. although since youve listed te 4800 in your sig, im either assuming that youve already bought it, or youre going to return/sell it and get the 170.

yup, ilike the sound of that cool water :D

lol "post your benchies here!"

even though the x2 4800 is essentially an fx60 underclocked by 200mhz i still would go for the 170, as i said before.

Wow your set up is very similar to mine.Check out my sig.I have had no problems with my set up .Easiest build ever.I would go for the opteron if I was you.Also maybe the ultra-d motherboard you could always do the sli mod when you are ready.My opteron is running at 2.6.I think it would go higher but I haven't had the time to play with it.

Sign in to follow this