Sign in to follow this  
ButtChew

Does This Look Good?

I'm finally building my first PC, and after reading through lots of material here and other places I have come up with the following setup which I plan on ordering soon. Before doing so, I thought I'd ask for any opinions/advice/concerns about it. Each component has the link to newegg in case there is more info needed:

Processor:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo 1GHz Dual Core

Processor Cooling:

Thermalright XP-90

Mobo:

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert

RAM:

OCZ Gold GX 2GB (2 x 1GB) PC 4000 Unbuffered Memory

Video Card:

eVGA Geforce 7900GT 256MB PCI Express x16

Hard Drives:

HITACHI Deskstar 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

(two of them on Raid0, total of 500GB)

Power Supply:

OCZ PowerStream 520W

Case:

ASPIRE X-Navigator ATXA8NW-SS

NewEgg WishList

I will primarily be using it for gaming, but Im a graphic designer so I also use it for such programs. For now it will be air cooled, and will consider OC'ing and water cooling once I feel comfortable with that. My case is still undecided, still looking for a good one. I also plan on adding a second card for SLI. I'm using the reccomended PS and RAM as suggested by the experienced here at DFI street, so hoping not to have any problems there.

Also, what HS would you guys reccomend for my processor? There are so many with mixed reviews.

Any advice on this build would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks ahead of time.

-Chew

I wouldn't bother spending an extra $100 for an nVIDIA 7800GTX when you can purchase a 7900GT for less and still have the same performance. Plus the 7900GT can reach higher speeds in frequencies when overclocked even on air. I hope this helps...

Look at this one...it's only $329 compared to the one you picked at $449. Now look how they are nearly all sold out even. Go figure....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814143048

I'm finally building my first PC, and after reading through lots of material here and other places I have come up with the following setup which I plan on ordering soon. Before doing so, I thought I'd ask for any opinions/advice/concerns about it. Each component has the link to newegg in case there is more info needed:

Processor:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Toledo 1GHz Dual Core

Mobo:

DFI LANPARTY UT nF4 SLI-DR Expert

RAM:

OCZ Gold GX 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR 400 (PC 3200)

Video Card:

XFX GeForce 7900 GT EXTREME (520MHz) 256MB PCI Express x16

Hard Drives:

HITACHI Deskstar 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s

(two of them on Raid0, total of 500GB)

Power Supply:

OCZ PowerStream 600W

Case:

ASPIRE X-Navigator ATXA8NW-SS

NewEgg WishList

I will primarily be using it for gaming, but Im a graphic designer so I also use it for such programs. For now it will be air cooled, and will consider OC'ing and water cooling once I feel comfortable with that. My case is still undecided, still looking for a good one. I also plan on adding a second card for SLI. I'm using the reccomended PS and RAM as suggested by the experienced here at DFI street, so hoping not to have any problems there.

Also, what HS would you guys reccomend for my processor? There are so many with mixed reviews.

Any advice on this build would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks ahead of time.

-Chew

forget the x2 4800, go for an opty 170.

get some gskill 2x1gb pc4000 ram.

get hdds with 16mb cache.

these are my reccomendations; they will save u money too.

one of the best hs that i can recommend (and billions others) is the thermalright xp-90, at around 30 bucks.

Does the opty 170 have dual core? I definately want that for sure. And I didnt notice a gskill brand of RAM on the reccomended list, will check again.

Thanks for the HS advice, looks pretty nice.

Opteron 170 is a dual core cpu

stick with the OCZ memory as we have a couple of OCZ techs that visit the forum plus both of us (rgone and I) dfi employees work very close with OCZ and have all of OCZ's memory.

I would suggest though that you grab the OCZ PC4000EL or GXC stuff just in case you plan on overclocking. It is the same memory as Mushkin, Corsair, and the Gskill mentioned earlier. They all clock the same.

and don't bother with a Powerstream 600w

just get the 520w Powerstream

and there's no need for the 16MB cache drives...the drives you have listed are excellent

ps for hte Thermalright XP-90 heatsink click the link at the bottom of my sig or check the sticky in this section about SVC.com as they have the best price on them

Graced by a reply from Angry, I feel special :eek2:

Yeah, wasn't sure on the PS (520 vs 600). My main concern was when adding SLI, and possibly some extra fans etc. Saving money by going with the 520 will let me upgrade my RAM which is nice.

Also, I just ran a search for the Opty vs. X2 .... I not only lack experience in computer hardware, but AMD stuff especially. Which is better? Or should I search more or possibly start a new thread?

Thanks for the heads up on the HS :D

*** Original Parts List Updated ***

I would suggest though that you grab the OCZ PC4000EL or GXC stuff just in case you plan on overclocking. It is the same memory as Mushkin, Corsair, and the Gskill mentioned earlier. They all clock the same.

I listed all the PC4k OCZ RAM in the 2x1GB category, came up with these four:

OCZ Platinum Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 500 (PC 4000) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model OCZ5002048EBPE-K

OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 500 (PC 4000) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model OCZP5002GXTC-K

OCZ Gold GX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 500 (PC 4000) Unbuffered System Memory Model OCZ5002048ELGEGXT-K

OCZ Gold Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 500 (PC 4000) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model OCZ5002048ELGE-K

I don't see EL or GXC stuff, does newegg just not offer those versions? Or am I completely overlooking something? Maybe GXTC is the same as GXC? Just wanna make sure I'm getting decent ram, and the $70+ difference in those four sticks is pretty hefty.

Thanks again.

I listed all the PC4k OCZ RAM in the 2x1GB category, came up with these four:

OCZ Platinum Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 500 (PC 4000) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory OCZ5002048EBPE-K

OCZ 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 500 (PC 4000) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory OCZP5002GXTC-K

OCZ Gold GX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 500 (PC 4000) Unbuffered System Memory OCZ5002048ELGEGXT-K

OCZ Gold Edition 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 500 (PC 4000) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory OCZ5002048ELGE-K

I don't see EL or GXC stuff, does newegg just not offer those versions? Or am I completely overlooking something? Maybe GXTC is the same as GXC? Just wanna make sure I'm getting decent ram, and the $70+ difference in those four sticks is pretty hefty.

Thanks again.

this is what i would get. OCZ Gold GX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 500 (PC 4000) Unbuffered System Memory OCZ5002048ELGEGXT-K

and for non ocing purposes the x2s are better, but i still would recommend the opties due to

1) their 2x1mb caches, as opposed to 2x512mb caches (unless you get the toledo cores in the x2s)

2) easy overclockability..

even if u like the faster clock speeds of the x2 u can just easily oc a 170 or 165 the extra 200 or 400 mhz... opties have been known to get to 2.6ghz (165) easy cheesy so no worries.

1) Opty 170

2) Opty 165

3) Any X2 (but since the opty 165 is only like 20 bucks more than the x2 3800 y not spring for that)

1) their 2x1mb caches, as opposed to 2x512mb caches (unless you get the toledo cores in the x2s)

Yeah, I have the Toledo core:

Core: Toledo

Multi-Core: Dual-Core

Name: Athlon 64 X2 4800+

Operating Frequency: 2.4GHz

HT: 1GHz

L1 Cache: 128KB+128KB

L2 Cache: 2 x 1MB

Are Opty's still better even with the 2x1MB cache? I've heard the X2 I have currently chosen OC's nicely ... which I do plan on doing.

Much appreciated! :D

Sign in to follow this