Sign in to follow this  
patsky

computer disk hardware configuration problem.

ok..found sata 12 34 under raid config in bios..sata 1 and 2 was enabled..sata 3 and 4 was not..so i enabled 3 and 4..strange, the bios had 1 and 2 enabled under raid config and boot priority was the raid array..but the maxtor drives did not show up on the boot screen of the bios.

ok i am back to original now..boot screen shows sata 3 and 4 none..does not show maxtors..raid config shows nvida array so to speak..got both harware drives back on sata 1 and 2..almost sounds like i need to delete the array and find the drives on sata 1 and 2 before doing anything else.again and format the drives again.

also..this is the driver i am using..Revision 1.0.0.16

Driver RAID Driver

OS Window XP

File NF4 RAID F6.ZIP

Size 545,515 bytes

Date 2006/01/27

Description nForce4 RAID0/1 Driver & Silicon Image 3114 RAID0/1/5 Driver (Self-Extract to floppy for F6 Installation).

http://us.dfi.com.tw/Support/Download/driv..._FLAG=A&SITE=NA

the maxtors are being seen by the mb bios raid utility because i have a healthy array..I am baffled..i would think these maxtors would show up on the bios boot screen..but they don't only sata 3 and 4 as none shows.

I called dfi they said call maxtor..LOL..i called maxtor they said do the firmware update..did it..still same problem as above lol..any help?

OK.. best thing now to try is take out the array and see if you can get the bios to see your drivers.. if not, take those Maxtors out and fix another hdd, probably a Seagate, Hitachi or a WD, because we know they are good.. then see if you can get the bios to detect it properly.. if you still cant, maybe you will need to flash your bios.. maybe something wrong with the mobo.. anyways, you cant test these with a (probably) defective drive... like I said, your Maxtors will be fine.. but we are not sure.. because there is an issue with those.. so the best thing is first take out the raid, if not, fix another hdd and see.. Goodluck bro..

Well,, Madu..I am now looking at a winxp logo :-)

I did as you said..deleted the array, clear disk, disabled raid config..found the drives on boot sata 1 and 2..updated firmware on the mastors..built a new array healthy :)

then wiped distroyed the partitions..did new partition, formated the partition on c..loaded updated raid driver..and also cleared the mbr ..and reloaded os..and i am now looking at a logo setting up droped in a cd key :-) it was so nice to see a cd key area..i don't know what I actually have yet..but i know i ended up with windows seeing one c: when i loaded the os..this is what i wanted...and walaaaaaaa...so in buisness now :) Now if I want to spend my vacation days loading 64 on a partition I may just get 2 more drives and try it..I ran win64 since july thinking vista was coming out in july but oh no january now..then who knows, i was tired of fighting 64 thank you so much for your help!! Not bad for a girl nurse huh? :) ltrz!!

Sorry to bring this old post back alive, but i`ve got the same problem.

I`ve installed 2 WD Caviar SE 16 750 GB harddrives on SATA 3 & 4, but now my PC won`t boot. It says "windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. could not read from the selected boot disk. check boot path and disk hardware. please check the windows documentation about hardware disk configuration and your hardware reference manuals for additional information."

As soon as i disconnect the 2 new drives, my PC boots.

This is my configuration.

Primary IDE, master: 80 GB HD

Primary IDE, slave: CD/DVD-ROM player.

Secondary IDE, master: DVD burner.

Secondary IDE, slave: 200 GB HD

SATA 1: WD Raptor 37 GB

SATA 2: Seagate HD 320 GB

SATA 3: WD Caviar SE 16 750 GB

SATA 4: WD Caviar SE 16 750 GB

My MBR is on the 80 GB HD and my OS is on the WD Raptor.

As soon as i disconnect the 2 new drives from SATA 3 & 4, my computer boots without any problems.

I`ve checked the BIOS settings. It still says to boot from the 80 GD drive first and then from the Raptor. In the boot sequence, the 80 GB drive is in first place and the Raptor is in second.

Both the new drives are on place 5 and 6.

Hello,

Can you list your settings here?

1st boot =

2nd boot =

3rd boot =

Hard disk boot order = should have a list + other controllers listed here.

Slightly off topic,

Why did you decide to have an IDE Hard drive with a CD drive on the same IDE cable?

It is always better to have hard drives on the same IDE cable and CD drives on a separate IDE cable/channel.

Hello,

Can you list your settings here?

1st boot = Harddrive

2nd boot = CD rom

3rd boot = None

Hard disk boot order = should have a list + other controllers listed here.

Slightly off topic,

Why did you decide to have an IDE Hard drive with a CD drive on the same IDE cable? So i can copy CD/DVD on the fly

It is always better to have hard drives on the same IDE cable and CD drives on a separate IDE cable/channel.

HD Boot Order:

1. Maxtor 80 GB drive

2. WD Raptor

3. Seagate 320 GB drive

4. Maxtor 200 GB drive

5. WD 750 GB drive

6. WD 750 GB drive

Ok, problem solved.

Switched the 2 new drives to SATA 1 & 2.

Switched the Raptor to SATA 3 and the 80 GB drive to SATA 4, computer now boots.

Thnx.