Hitting low RAM OC, OCZ 2x1GB Platinum

Rafter

Hey all, just got my new system built on Saturday and have had some nice OC results on my CPU so far, but I'm a little disappointed with my RAM. I can get it to 235Mhz stable with 2.6v and 2.5-3-2-5,T1, but if I try to go to 240Mhz I can't even boot memtest from floppy. System just resets.

I tried upping the volatage to 2.7v and that got me into memtest but then I got errors after about 3 passes on test #5. Tried changing timings to 2.5-3-3-8,T2 and upping voltage to 2.8v but that didn't help. Haven't had much time to fiddle with all the other RAM settings yet, they're all just on Auto/default.

From what I can see its not worth trying to get any more out of my RAM unless it can go to 252 at least, a 280 HTT speed on a 9/10 divider. My current 5/6 divider sets me at 229, so that leaves me a little room to up my HTT speed to 286 later if I feel like it. Do you think with my results so far its even worth trying to get more out of it, and if so how?

As for CPU results, I can get it to 290x9 with 1.425V but that causes enough heat at full load for my fans to spin up and become audible, so I'm happy at 280x9 1.375v and silent.

You've got rev1 platinum, don't you? It's latencies are advertised at 2-3-2-8. If so, you're not doing any worse than I am. Those chips are not very overclockable and they don't seem to respond to voltage either. The Rev2 are tccd, wish I had got them.

I got mine working at 240mhz @ 2.5.3.3.7 with 2.7v, but since my CPU is running @ HTT250 I had to put the memory on a divider since there was no way I could put this memory 1:1 with the CPU @ 500mhz

right now I'm running as my sig shows....

Yea, you *have* to use those settings to get the modules to even run at 2-3-2-8 1T 200mhz. At least I did with my board.

EDIT:

Voltes-5: Looks like the link you provided is for something other than what I had seen before. That's for tccd/tcc5 chips - not for the plat rev1 that we were the unlucky purchasers of.

I got mine working at 240mhz @ 2.5.3.3.7 with 2.7v, but since my CPU is running @ HTT250 I had to put the memory on a divider since there was no way I could put this memory 1:1 with the CPU @ 500mhz

right now I'm running as my sig shows....

Can you post ALL of your memory settings? Thanks!

Twivel,

Yeah, the RAM's rev1. Didn't do as much research first as I probably should have, plus didn't want to spend too much. Oh well, stuck with it (rebate sent already).

From what you're all saying it looks like 252Mhz is out of reach for this RAM. So I guess now the question is would it be worth it to focus on tweaking all the RAM bios settings to get as much performance out of fast timings as I can and not worry about more Mhz? Would that make much of a difference in real-world performance (ie games)? Or is 2.5-2-3-5,T1 and auto everything else OK?

Yea, you *have* to use those settings to get the modules to even run at 2-3-2-8 1T 200mhz. At least I did with my board.

EDIT:

Voltes-5: Looks like the link you provided is for something other than what I had seen before. That's for tccd/tcc5 chips - not for the plat rev1 that we were the unlucky purchasers of.

Yeah, just saw it too. So those that you guys have are the older ones? I got pretty lucky when I got a refurbished pc4800 plats on the Egg last month for 165 bucks. I have been able to memtest it up to ddr610 for at least 8hr+. Only running 265 1:1 with my X2 3800+ because for some reason it does not like the X9 multiplier.

Twivel,

Yeah, the RAM's rev1. Didn't do as much research first as I probably should have, plus didn't want to spend too much. Oh well, stuck with it (rebate sent already).

From what you're all saying it looks like 252Mhz is out of reach for this RAM. So I guess now the question is would it be worth it to focus on tweaking all the RAM bios settings to get as much performance out of fast timings as I can and not worry about more Mhz? Would that make much of a difference in real-world performance (ie games)? Or is 2.5-2-3-5,T1 and auto everything else OK?

Yea, you and me alike on not doing research. We got the right company (they have really good support) just the wrong chips.

From what I hear, these overclock in the 230-240 range at cas 2.5. So yea, I wouldn't expect 252 out of them. At least not unless you really drop your CAS. If I were you, I'd select a divider that puts you at 2-3-2-8 1T (on my chips, that's < 206mhz) or 2.5-x-x-x 1T (230mhz or so)

Yeah, just saw it too. So those that you guys have are the older ones? I got pretty lucky when I got a refurbished pc4800 plats on the Egg last month for 165 bucks. I have been able to memtest it up to ddr610 for at least 8hr+. Only running 265 1:1 with my X2 3800+ because for some reason it does not like the X9 multiplier.

Wow, yea, nice deal man. Grats!

Hey all, just got my new system built on Saturday and have had some nice OC results on my CPU so far, but I'm a little disappointed with my RAM. I can get it to 235Mhz stable with 2.6v and 2.5-3-2-5,T1, but if I try to go to 240Mhz I can't even boot memtest from floppy. System just resets.

I tried upping the volatage to 2.7v and that got me into memtest but then I got errors after about 3 passes on test #5. Tried changing timings to 2.5-3-3-8,T2 and upping voltage to 2.8v but that didn't help. Haven't had much time to fiddle with all the other RAM settings yet, they're all just on Auto/default.

From what I can see its not worth trying to get any more out of my RAM unless it can go to 252 at least, a 280 HTT speed on a 9/10 divider. My current 5/6 divider sets me at 229, so that leaves me a little room to up my HTT speed to 286 later if I feel like it. Do you think with my results so far its even worth trying to get more out of it, and if so how?

As for CPU results, I can get it to 290x9 with 4.25V but that causes enough heat at full load for my fans to spin up and become audible, so I'm happy at 280x9 3.75v and silent.

4.25V? WHAT KIND OF CPU/MB DO YOU HAVE ?