Memory Choice !

poulpii

Hello,

I would like to know what will be the best choice of memory, i need 2 x 1 Go for the motherboard DFI Lanparty UT nF3 Ultra-D and Opetron 170.

My objective is to buy Two modules of memory to give me all the chance to reach 300MHZ for the FSB .

With the AMD64 socket 939 there is no need to run CPU/RAM in 1:1 synch ratio, the asynch dividers work great because of the eficiency of the memory controller. Read the stickys about overclocking and about RAM latencies for these processors; there is only 5% performance advantage, or less, when using 1:1 overclock vs. asynchronic with low latencies.

With this in mind 1gb modules of DDR400 with the lowest latencies are ideal, specially since they cost less than higher speed ones which will also have higher latencies. I like OCZ, their user support is great... Corsair might be a close second, they have good support as well... G.Skill is a great brand, but their user support in nearly non existent...

Good luck

... and at CL2 as well, that would be something :cool:

There is the posibility of using high voltage ram, but even these BH5 or VX modules would not go even close to run at 300 mhz. Also the cost of using 3.2 to 3.7 volts would be too high for only 5% performance increase.

I hesitate between this two modules :

http://cgi.ebay.com/CORSAIR-2GB-DDR-400MHZ...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/OCZ-VALUE-SERIES-2GB-P...1QQcmdZViewItem

Which one do u recommand me ?

thanks.

For that kind of money I would definately get pc4000 (ddr500) ram as these low latencies ram will not give you better real world performance and also you will have to use a very low ram divider to be able to overclock your 170opty wich some optys are not the most low divider lovers.

as stated in the current guides you are not to worry about the latencies too much I would rather use a higher divider with my opty for the same amount of money.

Here

http://www.monarchcomputer.com/Merchant2/m...=Unbuffered_OCZ

I hesitate between this two modules :

http://cgi.ebay.com/CORSAIR-2GB-DDR-400MHZ...1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/OCZ-VALUE-SERIES-2GB-P...1QQcmdZViewItem

Which one do u recommand me ?

thanks.

Je te conseille de ne pas acheter de la ram economique, tu vas t'en mordre les doigts après. Avec la plupart de ces rams c'est carrément mission impossible l'overclocking.

Il vaut mieux mettre un peu plus en argent et avoir un truc qui tient la route.

Evite la Corsair, souvent elle fait mauvais ménage avec les DFI.

Je te conseille de ne pas acheter de la ram economique, tu vas t'en mordre les doigts après. Avec la plupart de ces rams c'est carrément mission impossible l'overclocking.

Il vaut mieux mettre un peu plus en argent et avoir un truc qui tient la route.

Evite la Corsair, souvent elle fait mauvais ménage avec les DFI.

Tu me conseillerais quoi dans ce qu'on peux trouver de bien aujourd'hui toi Nano ?

merci!

For that kind of money I would definately get pc4000 (ddr500) ram

The DFI Lanparty UT nF3 Ultra-D is supposed to support at max a module of DDR 400 pc3200, so do you think I can use DDR 500 pc 4000 on it ?

Thanks!

The DFI Lanparty UT nF3 Ultra-D is supposed to support at max a module of DDR 400 pc3200, so do you think I can use DDR 500 pc 4000 on it ?

Thanks!

Actually it is the AMD64 core that supports X ram speed or not, since the memory controller is inside the CPU. However what it says it support and what it can really do are diferent things; I have ran my system at DDR610 speeds with out problems, same have done many others and specially with DFI motherboards. I guess this "DDR400 memory support" thing is more of a "try not to use slower than DDR400 ram" :)

Those two modules are labeled "VALUE", and as such I wouldn't expect much from them. Certainly they are from two very good brands, but I have learned how bad things can be when using Value RAM modules; DFI is a high performance brand of motherboard and as such certain non high quality hardware is not going to be compatible with it. Try looking for Platinum or Gold OCZ labeled modules, or Corsair XMS ones.

I understand how dificult to find hardware is when you are not in the US; try to look for stores in England that can ship to France. I know for a fact that the US store www.directron.com can ship worldwide and can accept bank transfers as payment, however I am not sure they still do this... I bet its worth checking out.

Good luck.