Phew! Got to Post - next step?

Well I'm glad I found this forum when I did because I think I'd be sending back my CPU about now. I had no idea about having to connect all those power connectors. Seriously, this forum rocks.

So while I'm veteran of building a lot of PC's, I'm quickly learning that a DFI isn't for the faint of heart. I've also learned (the hard way) that the manual is of limited use... ;)

Anyway, I've been searching and reading a lot of threads but before I go any further, I want to get some advice from the experts in here.

Right now, I have one memory stick in the first orange slot. After getting some CMOS checksum errors, I connected the 4 power connectors and followed the steps for clearing the CMOS. After that, I was able to get to the BIOS and I reloaded the optimized defaults.

1. First off, what BIOS version should I be running? Should updating the BIOS be my first priority? I'm hoping to run this comp without a floppy drive - is the Winflash utility ok to use?

2. Where can I find a good rundown of the recommended BIOS settings?

3. I'll be running 2x 1GB G.Skill memory (see sig). Should I put them in the yellow or orange slots?

4. How crucial is it to have a copy of XP with SP2 versus updating after install?

5. Should I use the included CD to install chipset drivers or are there more recent versions elsewhere?

After a rocky start, I'm psyched that I found this forum and looking forward to get my new comp up and running. It's going to be by far the most powerful system I've ever had and I'm looking forward to doing some overclocking as well.

Please recommend any threads that would be helpful for a n00bie DFI-owner. Thanks in advance for any help! :)

Guest GripS

1. Version 623-1 or better.

2. Look at stickies posted here. Each configuration is slightly different so it's a matter of trial and error. The FULL manual is not included with the board(which is pretty messed up) but it can be downloaded from DFI's website.

3. Use the Orange slots.

4. Not crucial at all. If you don't slipstream the install it just takes longer to install all the updates.

5. Get the most recent from Nvidia. Don't install the SW IDE driver and don't install the Nvidia Firewall.

I'm a bit of a Noob myself, but the above is what i've gathered from reading several threads here.

1. Official 623-3 or unofficial (will void warranty) 704-2tba.

Both can be found here as well as other bios and some utilities. Follow the link.

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22031

2. Read and use search, remembering to use the "advanced search" searching in "titles" only. This is the link ro the "Bios Forum":

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=20

Cheers.

That looks complicated. :sweat:

lol, yeah a bit... however, this is finicky ram and you will thank yourself for taking the time to go through this and set your timings properly.

lol, yeah a bit... however, this is finicky ram and you will thank yourself for taking the time to go through this and set your timings properly.

Well my first priority is getting everything stable using normal settings. Can I trust the default BIOS settings to get me started and then work on overclocking down the road?

I want to get my computer up and running (and running some benchmarks) but I also want to spend a lot more time reading through this forum (and the overclocking forum).