Sign in to follow this  
Pivo504

Please help...

I just recently purchased a Opteron 144 @2.9ghz (still burning in), DFI expert motherboard, G SKill HZ 2gb kit, Nvidia EVGA 7900 GT CO, with 520 watt Powerstream PSU. I have my CPU set at 2.9ghz with stock voltage of 1.4 and divider 150 with all stock BIOS timings, I even loosened them to stock which is 3-4-4-8, still crashes 1 hr in. I am using the latest BIOS 12/07. My problem is whenever I run Prime95 blend test it crashes 1 hr into it. However, if I run small ftt it can run all night without any crash. Also, whenever I run Memtest the only test that fails is test 5. What is holding me back here? Im starting to think its ram however this ram is rated at ddr500 and therefore it should be able to run with a 150 divider. BTW ram is in Orange slots. Tried each stick one at a time. One stick passes a few tests didnt run it for long, the other does the same however, later I tried again and the other stick fails. Please give me some suggestions!

if u said one stick fails then theres your problem. try it again to be sure. i would suggest test #5 in DOS a couple times.

have you tried upping the voltage on the CPU as well?

Well the CPU was at stock speeds....And yes I tried upping the CPU voltage for crap and giggles still fails test 5. But its strange because when I retested the faulty stick it passed.....I know that nothing is stable unless its stressed for 24hrs, but now in with both sticks in dual it fails test 5 again...I just emailed the GSkill tech. Im trying to figure this out ASAP because Im still under 30 days so maybe I can convince newegg for a refund and get OCZ or Mushkin.

Try running 1:1 9x250 and see if it runs ok at stock speeds in memtest. If not visit the g.skill website and use their exact settings. If that doesn't work RMA.

If it works at stock settings at 1:1 but not at the lower settings on the divider, then either your cpu or board does not like that divider.

Small FFT's test the cpu more, larger FFT's test the memory and mem controller more from what I experience.

BlackDragon24:

I noticed in their screen shots, their cpu-z reported the SPD as 3-4-4-8. Many users report theirs are showing 3-5-5-10, and its those users who are usually having issues with the ram.

Also, I really fecken hate that A64 tweaker being used in screenshots. Its so not matching the BIOS it aint funny. Sorry, just a personal gripe... didn't mean to vent here about it, but damnit!