Sign in to follow this  
battle.

Modding voodoo 3 2000, suggestions?

hello, i want to mod this 3DFX Voodoo 3 that i have. i would like to get some kind of heatsink with a fan and mod it on to it...how would i about doing this,and which heatsink should i get?

the card is stock 143MHz, i have it OCed to 175MHz no cooling, tonight im going to try and get to 180MHz no cooling..

This card is such a beast, so fun mucking around with it.

So any suggestions?

P.S: My goal is atleast 200MHZ

did you come from a time machine from the past?

Lol.

Can you get a picture of the card out? Might have some ideas if I see what holes (if any) already exist, and where the processor/memory modules are.

First thing that comes to mind is you could basically glue a small fan, like a chipset fan, onto the processor with Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive. Dunno how it would hold since it'll be upside down, but as long as you don't try to twist it off it'd work. Or you could just put a good copper/aluminum heatsink on it with the same paste and mount an 80mm fan underneath or next to it.

Edit:

Found this after a google search, turns out cooling the ram down a bit could help out.

http://nightstormer.tripod.com/voodoo_article4.htm

Also I forgot, if you already have some AS5/ceramique you could use that and a bit of superglue instead of purchasing the adhesive.

I like how it starts out "I know that the V3 is old hardware" and it was written in 2000... :)

it has mounting holes...i had ne laying around, and put an old p3 heatsink on that sucker.

Didnt do no OC...but it should KICK butt (for an old GPU like that ^^ )

It could be interesting to install Win98 and play some old Glide games with it.

I sold my Voodoo 5 two years ago... big mistake, I should have kept it as a very nice souvenir. Are you sure you want to mod it?

If answer is yes, then you will have to epoxy (Artic Silver) the heastinks probably... unless the holes can be used to secure the new heatsink. Good luck

ok tahnks all il look in to it more, ur help is good :)

Artic Silver icic..

and http://www.falconfly.de/identify/Voodoo3_2000_PCI.jpg

that looks pretty much exactally like my card

PCI btw..

Also i got it to 181MHz with a house fan cooling it a little, but crashed in 3dmark2000, so i put it to 179.89MHz and it got a 5093 score.

:D

could uz plz see pictures of the heatsinks i should get?

i have a voodoo2 Banshee sitting around, i got the voodoo3 from a firend for free:P he has about 4 of them lol

I also havea TNT2 Ultra sitting around.

w00t! ole' skool! lol

i had a voodoo5 6600 or somethin like that and its WICKED! i was also the king at highschool.......... played StarWars x-wing and freespace!! woot!

5500 I think, unless it was the one with four GPU's instead of only two :)

3dfx's aproach was unique back then: why make AGP 4x when we can make AGP 2x cards with 2 GPU's