Sign in to follow this  
nib95

Should I push 2.7ghz?

I keep saying the Opteron 170 does not have a 11x Multi put it at 1.48 volts and 10x multi boot at 2700 & your ram at 166 or 180 then go from there.

MBM5 is the best out of both of them set it up now and get it over with

Your CPU should boot easily at that voltage you know how to use the CPU VID setting you need is 110% 1.350

Lol, I'm a total n00b.

All I've basically done is changed the main vcore to 1.45 and slowly upped the fsb to 260. Whats this CPU VID you speak of?

I find its not a good idea to do that the % margins have always given me better luck are you on MSN or AIM so we can talk directly?

cpu vid just takes the vcore and adds to it by precent, most people get a bit better resuslts with it insted of just plain vcore...

vcore * cpu vid = final vcore ...

1.4 * 1.13 = 1.582 for instance... which is better then just putting 1.582 in vcore...

Well, i'm currently running 2.6ghz on my Opteron 170. (UMPW) On air with the Big typhoon and the Thermaltake Bluethunder 120mm fan. (still quiet but much more powerful then stock)

At 1.45v. Its just a simple OC, just slowly edged my way to 260fsb. It runs pretty cool at about 28-30 idle and in the 40's on load.

My question is, should I push it to 270fsb? Will my ram be able to take it?

Whats the best type of torture test on Prime95 to test it? (the in-place large FTT one?)

One last question, is there a programme where I can check CPU temp and so on in Windows as apposed to in BIOS?

Many thanks

sorry to go off topic, but is this the fan you are talking about? did it improve temps at all? by how much? thanks :D

I find its not a good idea to do that the % margins have always given me better luck are you on MSN or AIM so we can talk directly?

Clear your inbox on the forums mate :P

That way I can PM you my MSN addi.

sorry to go off topic, but is this the fan you are talking about? did it improve temps at all? by how much? thanks :D

Yeap thats the baby! And yes it did, I cant tell you exactly how much better but i can vouch for the fact that my Typhoon is only ever luke warm at max load now.

I'd say it was well worth the purchase.

Use SysTool and then minimize it, u can see fan,cpu,etc tempatures in taskbar :)

* the temp readings are usually 1-5seconds off or slower than BIOS/SG

Lol, I'm a total n00b.

All I've basically done is changed the main vcore to 1.45 and slowly upped the fsb to 260. Whats this CPU VID you speak of?

then read the definitive O/C guide

what you want to do is find the max MHz of your CPU without having your ram holding you back

while you are doing this run your ram on a divider as was suggested above

then run superPI 32M test (two instances, two seperate folders) for a quick test to see if you pass

once you find your max CPU, you will find your max memory timings with you CPU at a low multiplier to see how far you can push your ram..........include 3D apps in your stability tests

that part is easy

then you must put the two together and set your final timings, if you have to use a multi, fine, just max out your CPU even if you ram slightly below its max

EDIT: oh yeah and my computer is not stable unless it passes 12 hours of prime95