Sign in to follow this  
pixelated taco

i cant fully install windows.

dfi recog HD. Set up boot device cd,hd. made 2 parttions. one is a 4.5 g second is 110g partion. starts to install on the 4.5g partion. does the install then it restarts. Once it restarts and triess to finish the windows install a disk read error occurs. I can reinstall windows againg but it gives me the same error with or with out partions.

Is this a brand new rig or you had it running for a while already and just decided to install windows new? It happened to me once and it was Ram related! I wasn’t giving the Ram enough juice! What is the voltage? :nod:

Sorry about that guys. I had to call my friend to get on DFI-Street and post this since I was stuck at home without a working computer.

I bought the motherboard off of someone in Hardforum. So someone else had the motherboard before me with most likely different computer parts.

Should I reset the CMOS? Would that help? I'm going to try to find the installation guide and go through it step by step.

This is what happens in my words. I have the cd-rom set as the boot drive. I went and deleted the whole partition (basically the whole hard drive) and then did a full NTFS format. It then proceeds to install windows (the first part) then it installs.

At this time i'd usually take out the cd-rom and let the rest of windows continue installing off the hard drive. But that's where I can't get to.

Once windows installs (the first part) it then of course reboots so it can continue to install without the cd.. problem is when it restarts it tells me "Disk Read Error". And then it asks me to Ctrl+Alt+Delete to restart.

I tried it on another hard drive, another 120 WD that I pulled from my old system (had windows on it) and tried to reinstall windows on top of the old windows. It doesn't boot to that harddrive either and gives me some cdini error.

That's all I can tell you right now. I'm going to try to download the WD diagnostic tools and go from there.

You need the CD in the drive the ENTIRE time. Just because it makes it through the first part is not good enough.

I've done that also. I leave it in and it tries to boot to the cd.. then since I don't ask it to boot to the cd it goes to the hard drive. It gives me the same message that I've been getting. "Disk Read Error". I've done it with both hard drives. :confused:

Please reset cmos on the motherboard as it has been used and holds

DMI datapool for other used hardware.

After that go into cmos setup and "load optimized defaults"

Make a memtest86 first , 2-3 passes without any errors .

Have only the raptor and the optical drive connected (connect additional devices later , after OS is setup )

Use a XP cd with SP2 and try again.

Make the OS partition bigger , 4.5G is not enough for all temp files , dynamic swap file , MFT zone , etc)

I would just let the raptor be one partition( or perhaps two equally sized partitions)

I had no problems installing to raptor 74G .

edit:

And let XP do a full format (not quick) in the install process .

And connect all mobo power connectors

ref: http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48091

Same sympthoms ..

Alright I'll definately try that. I don't think i'll be able to put it on the 74gb raptor since it seems it's dead now, sigh. But I'll definately try it on the Western Digital 120 GB hard drive. Hopefully this solves the puzzle once and for all :) Thanks for the info.. i'll post back here with the results.

Do you have multiple hard drives connected when installing Windows? If so, just have one drive hooked up through the entire windows setup process, then add the other drive when you have the OS up and running. Definately go with the diags for the HDD if you tried installing with just one drive and still get the same error.

I have all four power connections connected correctly. 24 pin+4 12v pin+ 4 molex+ floppy power connector.

I reset the CMOS and loaded the "Optimal" setting in the BIOS. I did a full reformat and installed windows. And.. I'm still getting the same error. I also ran the Western Digital Diagnostic and once done it came up with no errors. I'm really lost as to what the problem is..

I have no other hard drives hooked up it's only the NEC DVD drive and the Western Digital.

I'll format the other Western Digital hard drive and do a full format. Hopefully it'll install correctly but if it doesn't..back to the drawing boards.

Also I can't seem to find the guide on how to reset the CMOS properly if anyone can get me a link i'd be more than grateful.

Thanks for any info.

Well I finally managed to install windows. But it wasn't one or the other hard drives. It was BOTH.. for some reason RAID decided to work for me and not a single hard drive. I'm just happy that the computer is up and running.

Now to question # 2:

Everytime I boot to Windows the processor show it's at 1.57ghz frequency. The Opteron runs at 1.8 ghz. It also show the HTT at somewhere around ~175 instead of 200.

Also I realized the fans spin up and down on this motherboard. I went to the BIOS and set the highest speed to always be on at a temperature of 30C for the processor fan.

I looked around and disabled "thermal throttling" and made sure in the Genie BIOS section that k8 Cool'n'Quiet is disable also. Anywhere else I should look? I think i'm being throttled back. Would the Nvidia Nforce drivers do that? And finally in Power Options I made sure to have it set to "Always On". Heh I feel like such a noob.

Also thanks for everyone that pitched in to help me. I'm very grateful and thumbs up for dfi-street :D

Anyone? I'm sitting here using a FSB of 250 and it brings the processor up to 1.9ghz. But in CPU-Z it's showing that the FSB 217. Is there a setting I'm missing that's underclocking my processor and the FSB?

Oh and HitandRun.. I found all those links useful that are in your sig. Thanks.