Sign in to follow this  
noahsark1126

Another 7800GT, a 7900GT, or neither?

I want to upgrade my graphics card. As I see it I have a few options (given my budget).

I can get another XFX Geforce 7800GT and run them in SLI.

I can get a 7900GT and sell my 7800GT (and then if I have enough money buy another 7900GT for SLI).

Get nothing and wait for the Geforce 8 series.

I am not going to buy any GTX cards, their price vs performance is simply not worth it for me. I will also not buy any ATI cards.

What do you guys reccoemend I do, taking all things into account. Obviously price matters, but there are other factors such as will me PSU handle 2x7900GTs, what kind of cooling will I need, how will overclockability be affected, etc etc.

I'd go for a 7900GT myself and sell the 7800GT. Cheap upgrade for sure. If you do decide you need to go SLI the 7900GT uses less juice, runs cooler, and there's even a no-solder hard volt mod for them now.

-pickles

i am in a simmilar situation myself and after weighting everythink up i think the 7900gt option is the best option, altho i supose it all depends on how much you sell your 7800gt for on ebay or whereever, given the low starting price that the 7900s are selling for this will probebly push the price of 7800s down, if you can get a decent price for your 7800 then in a cple of pay cheques you should be able to get another a 2nd 7900, and like pickles said they use less power than the 7800s, i have an eVGA 7800gt and was hopeing to do a "steup" with eVGA for a 7900gtx but there stepup prices for Europe suck (i am UK) so i might be going for the ebay option if eVGA dont sort out there Europe setup prices

Yeah, I took a look on Ebay and it looks like I could uprgrade to the 7900GT with a small loss of $20-30. However, I think the Geforce 8's might be coming out this summer. I couldn't find anything conclusive but that seems to be the rumor. That would also follow nvidia's pattern as it would be about the same amount of time between geforce 6 and 7.

when geforce 8 series comes out just pick up 2x7900gts and sli them.. or sell ur 7800gt and buy 2 7900gtxes (faster clocks+double the mem).. personally thats wut i mite do.

When the 8s come out ,the 7s will be cheaper.thats when I plan to sli. (7900gt)

Sign in to follow this