• 1.50V-1.55V
    • 1.55V-1.575V
    • 1.575V-1.60V
    • 1.60V-1.625V
    • 1.625V-1.65V
    • 1.65V-1.675V
    • 1.675V-1.70V
    • >1.70V

My maximum would be 15% above the manufactures recommended for testing, but only 10% above maximum for long term durability and stability.

Although it is interesting to note that an Opteron 170 (dual core) vcore is 1.3 to 1.35 and a Opteron 146 (single core) vcore is 1.35 to 1.4. But the temperature range is the same, so I guess it is not only vcore but very much a temperature issue as well.

Hence my max long term vcore for a Opteron 170 would be (1.35/100)*110= 1.485, and for the Opteron 146 it would be (1.4/100)*110= 1.54.

However as I suspect there is not an awful lot of difference between the 146 and 170 other than two cores on a die as is it still 0.09 micron SOI technology. I would be bold enough to use the 146 vcore max on a 170, if you could keep it cool.

So that how I justify running my 170 at 1.4v with 53c temps on full load, but would do more if I could keep it cool. I think the IHS will be coming off soon.

Watch this space, Brgds IMK

I have heard that figure of 10-15% before (in custom Pc magazine if I remember rightly). So that would mean for my 3700 sandy (stock Vcore of 1.40V) the safe voltage might be between 1.54V-1.61V. This seems to kind of agree with the poll so far, however the voters are at the top end of this margin with the most popular categories being 1.6-1.65V.

cjoe7 I didnt realise how important a steady source of electricity was. By electricity, do you mean voltage, and hence that it is important for your Vcore or Vdimm not to vary erratically?

The poll is showing some interesting results at the moment, with 1.625-1.650 topping the charts at this very second in time. This is higher than I was expecting. Keep the votes coming thick and fast.....

Exactly, electrical current shouldn't sag or spike. Sometimes, unexpected crashes are due to abrupt voltage variations. So a good PSU is important but consistent voltage is also something to consider.

I think that < 1.62V is okay with very good cooling; otherwise, the CPU is cooking and lengevity becomes an issue.

cjoe

I've gone to 1.55v on my opty 165 with the stock heatpipe hsf. I haven't really noticed much change in temps...even w/ that much vcore i was still sitting at 39c. I backed it down to 1.5v tho till i set up a WC loop and pop the top.

Cjoe when you talk about voltage variations, what sort of fluctuations are we talking? My Vcore, when measure with a multimetre, is 1.51-1.52 at idle and 1.54 on full load. Is this the sort of thing you are talking about? Also, I take it you mean the rail voltages as well. I thought that variance in voltages was down to the voltage regulator of the motherboard as well as the quality/power of your PSU?

There has been a flurry of voting during the last few hours, with the categories of 1.575-1.60 and 1.60-1.625 taking the lead. Thanks for all the votes/help, keep them coming.