• 1.50V-1.55V
    • 1.55V-1.575V
    • 1.575V-1.60V
    • 1.60V-1.625V
    • 1.625V-1.65V
    • 1.65V-1.675V
    • 1.675V-1.70V
    • >1.70V

I have been trying to find out what the max safe CPU voltage is and have had a lot if mixed responses...on overclock.net the general opinion seems to be between 1.575-1.65V. What do the people of DFI street think?

Basically, what is the maximum safe Vcore for an AMD CPU (such as a AMD 64 3200-4000, and X2 or an opteron) if temps were not an issue and were kept under the 45-50C safety barrier by a good air/water cooling setup (not an extreme setup like phase change)???

Guest Synchronize

The highest i'd go wether it were w/c or air would be 1.6-1.62v allthough i think that this would be a bit high on air but i'd try it if the temps were'nt too high. Just my opinion others might differ. Anything like 1.7 and upwards is just crazy..

You're actually asking two different questions. The Dual Core CPUs are different from the older generation Single core CPUs. The Dual Cores are more sensitive to higher voltage.

Dual Cores Safe: 1.50-1.55V

Single Core Safe: 1.60-1.625V

cjoe

Sorry about that, I was talking mainly about a single core AMD CPU (such as my 3700 SD).

Also, when I say "safe" I mean a voltage which will give the CPU a decent lifespan such as 3-4 years not 6 months or 10 years.

Maximum safe vcore for what type of use? How long do you want the CPU to last. Are you willing to accept that a CPU may die and then buy another one?

I can tell you that a Socket 754 Venice will not hold 1.9 volts on dry ice. But it was a $100 CPU that had already outlived it's usefulness to me and it was alot of fun beating it to death.

This Poll can be very misleading as to what is safe and what is not. How can we know if a San Diego core can run a decent, long life running with 1.6v going through it? if there is no length of time given to test it, afterall they've only been out less than a year. We all know that more voltage shortens the lifespan of any electrical component and the key thing is to run with the lowest closest to stock Vcore that we can.

Do people actually keep their machines 3-4yrs anymore? Most DFI users are somewhat extreme because they're willing to run CPU and memory out of spec.

Also, good PSU and clean current is required to keep the hardware stable. I run a 1500Watt smart UPS to maintain a stable line. If your electricity is erratic or low, you will also prematurely kill your hw.

cjoe

Some of my PC parts do stick around for 3-4 years. My son uses an old Barton 2500+ and my daughter a XP2100+ Tbred both of which have been abused in there day :nod: The 2100+ ran 2776Mhz and the 2500+ got me 2600Mhz.

I do agree though, most enthusiast don't keep things around very long..

I think a decent, "safe" lifespan for a CPU would be 3 years, however that does not necessarily mean that the CPU has to be you main CPU for 3 years. Although I may change my CPU in 2 years or less, I would still like to be able to sell the CPU or keep it for a bit longer.

As for usage, I am talking about day to day use, such as surfing the web, along with things like gaming.

cjoe7 I didnt realise how important a steady source of electricity was. By electricity, do you mean voltage, and hence that it is important for your Vcore or Vdimm not to vary erratically?

The poll is showing some interesting results at the moment, with 1.625-1.650 topping the charts at this very second in time. This is higher than I was expecting. Keep the votes coming thick and fast.....