Build goin haywire - Plz help

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also , under genie BIOS for this BIOS version ...

Memtest: Hit delete on 1st screen=> Enter Bios=> Genie BIOS (top option right column)=> Enter. Arrow down to last item = > Marvell GIGA Lan Control enabled.

That would qualify as an old BIOS

I would download TMOD's BIOS CD, and burn a cd

This will serve 2 purposes:

1) Under system tools is a copy of memtest. Run this for a bit to ensure ok ram

2) This CD will also give you all available BIOS for your board. I would suggest starting with the 6/23/2005. This BIOS will correctly id your CPU

K i already burned the TMODS BIOS CD and have it here in my hot little hands . I boot the puter up and i get the menu for the BIOS CD , however the PC is lockin up on it... IE i cant scroll down the menu lists

arghhh this machine is freakin me out now... this board could becaome a frisbee..

I went to the DFI site and managed to grab the latest BIOS NF4LDB14. i created the Diamond flash image of it , using the procedures they give. n tested it on my ye olde faithful socket A still workin PC ... No worries it booted up from the floppy. ( so i know that the diskette is ok ) . Went back to my CHUCKY ( Fiend from hell ) and tried to start the sucker up .. no cigar.. So because i havent been able to get very far i say what the heck , n change the memory sticks . ... ok now i can get into the BIOS ... Changed settings to get to boot from floppy... no worries . saved that reboot machine .. it gets to the floppy and then just reboots again , and again , and again and again ....

Just tested my TMODS disk on ol Billie ( after golf club in caddyshack ) and lo n behold it works ... can Run MEMTEST till the eight degree , put it back into Chucky and reboot. Screen is blank , wont display anything . Hmmm tried resetting the vid card back into the primary PICe slot ... still nothing . This has turned into a nightmare on elm street 27 n half. checking for magnetic filings or maybe i just got magnetic blood....

1. Cleared CMOS.

2. installed 1st stick of ram into DIMM 2 (Orange).

3. first boot – nothing. Long beep .Black screen Machine does not post. One red led lit

4. swapped in a 2nd stick of ram into DIMM 2 (Orange).

5. second boot – nothing. Long beep .Black screen Machine does not post. One red led lit

6. Swapped Graphics card from PCie slot 1 to PCIe slot 2.

7. 3rd boot – Lan party flash screen comes up , can get into BIOS screens. With GPU in 2nd PCIe slot.

8. Load optimized defaults.

9. powered OFF Machine.

10. Connected DVD player to IDE controller 2 as MASTER.

11. Rebooted machine. Machine came up as follows

Main Processor : AMD HAMMER Family Processor – Model Unknown

Memory testing : 1048576K OK

Primary IDE master : None

Secondary IDE master: None

Secondary IDE master : DVD DUAL GO-W1616B VER A089

Internal phy Sata 3 : None

Internal phy Sata 4 : None

Internal phy Sata 1: None

Internal phy Sata 2 : None

Warning the boot devices have been changed

BBS boot priority will be affected. Please enter setup to check.

BIOS date : 01/25/2005-NF-CK804-6a61FD49C-00

12. Rebooted machine with TMODS disk in DVD player – goes through to verifying DMI POOL DATA…..

backup CMOS …… OK!

Machine doesn’t read information from the CD installed. This was successfully however tested on old machine. So I know the CD is okay.

13. Went back into BIOS and made sure the DVD player was first priority for

booting from. Saved & exited from BIOS .

14. Rebooted Machine.

15. Machine now comes up with TMODS DFI BIOS FLASH & UTILITIES CD menu . But PC locks up and I can not tab thru the menu options.

16. Rebooted Machine

17. Came up with corrupted characters on the Monitor. Still trying to get access to TMODS CD but the screen keeps locking up on the menu.

18. Swapped DVD player/Recorder with CD burner from Old working system to rule out the DVD player.

19. Rebooted machine. Hanging on 2 red lights . No beeps, nothing posted onto Monitor.

20. Left powered off for ten minutes refired PC , get thru to TMODS DFI BIOS menu machine locks up again.

21. Disconnected CD burner – Connected up just 3.5 inch floppy .

22. Booted into BIOS - Changed boot up sequence so that Floppy is first. Floppy seek enabled.

23. Saved and exited.

24. Rebooted machine which hangs again on a blankscreen , one led lit and no beeps.

25. rebooted again after waiting ten minutes This time I get flashing blue & white boxes ( similar to old dos cursor) flashing on screen. Then comes across with

Main Processor : AMD HAMMER Family Processor – Model Unknown

Memory testing : 1048576K OK

Primary IDE master : None

Secondary IDE master: None

Secondary IDE master : None

Internal phy Sata 3 : None

Internal phy Sata 4 : None

Internal phy Sata 1: None

Internal phy Sata 2 : None

Warning the boot devices have been changed

BBS boot priority will be affected. Please enter setup to check.

BIOS date : 01/25/2005-NF-CK804-6a61FD49C-00

Ive put the latest BIOS onto a floppy using the DIAMOND FLASH image from DFI website. Ive tested the disk by putting it into my old machine and seeing if it would read the disk and it did .

I'm wondering if I should or should not attempt to FLASH the BIOS at this point?

As you can see i have had a squillion problems with it. Im not sure how long the flash should take as i have not done that before. Any help appreciated.

PS/2 or USB keyboard?

If USB, try a PS/2. That may solve your machine lock up when booting TMOD's CD

Can you change the IDE cable to a known good one (ie from the working machine)? Also, check that it is installed correctly (ie not upside down)

I personally would not try to flash a BIOS on a machine that may be unstable.

I have a PS2 Keyboard connected as well as a PS/2 Mouse.

And would you believe it after hooking in a "known" good IDE cable , I have succesfully got the TMODS disk to be read , im currently running MEMTEST can hardly believe it !

How long do i leave this running before i stop and try to progress on by connecting the rest of my devices up ?

Everyone has different answers on this.

If I was in your shoes, this is what I would do:

1) Run memtest for 1-2 hrs. If no errors, proceed. If errors, manually input RAM BIOS settings, save and exit, rerun memtest. If still errors, bump DRAM voltage stock + 0.1v and rerun memtest

2) Once memtest ok, flash BIOS to 6/23 as a starting point

3) Rerun memtest overnight

If you haven't found it already, try reading this build guide: Ed Jacobson’s Build Guide

Don't know where in hale you got that board with a shipping bios of 1/25/05 as that is the very first shipping bios. That bios was tightly strung in the background that it squeeked when it worked. And you have X2 processor and totally new style memory and my guess is until you take that bios chip out and hot flash it on another computer or swap to an older processor or swap to some older style memory>> you are in the loop you see forever. One of the three things will have to be done and if it were me I would look for a bud with same size bios socket and hotflash the bios chip to the later version and see if I could not get on with my business. AND do not use the latest 11/14/05 bios but the 623-3 bios from DFI downloads. It is fine for you without an FX-60 since I have seen some flash to the FX-60 bios and they do NOT have FX-60 and have trouble.

That is about it.

RGone...

PS: GOOD and excellent breakdown of the symptoms. Most seeking help expect us to have crystal balls or ESP; to look into their rig and try and guess what the hale is in the rig and then what is wrong. You are to be commended for that sort of accurate and thorough posting and is why I am more than 90% sure of what your course of action must be. Luck man.