Sign in to follow this  
longtan

Build goin haywire - Plz help

I believe thats the case as well. My old system was still WIN XP SP2. but the processor was a celeron 1.2ghz and was 5 years old. Hell , that machine suited me to a T ! and its still goin strong at stock standard settings.

The only reason i upgraded was for the new flight sims comin out which showed i realy did need to move to a MOBO with PCI-E rather then AGP. Even thats a bit of a laff , coz the old board was x4 AGP and i was using a x8AGP Vid card - > a ti4400 .

Anyways . I m not in a position at moment to wallop the old drives as that guys would get me into more trouble. I dont think the Missus , would like our wedding photos walloped , along with all her music shes downloaded for her IPOD to go the way of the DODO quiet yet .

Cant sleep at moment.. its 5:25 AM local time , and its Sunday , and I got 4.35 hrs left before the puter shop opens ...... : )

Anyways . I m not in a position at moment to wallop the old drives as that guys would get me into more trouble. I dont think the Missus , would like our wedding photos walloped , along with all her music shes downloaded for her IPOD to go the way of the DODO quiet yet .
Lol!! talk about mission critical data. Understand your feelings :nod:

luck :)

Hi ya's

Got delayed and couldnt get up to shop y/day goin after work this arvo ....

Quick question from reading through the forums .. I have downloaded TMODS Version 6.5 for BIOS flashing .

Im curious as to which BIOS i should flash ( obviously the one for "my MOBO" ) but is the BIOS listed under heading 5 ... DFI NF4 lanparty BIOS's or option B) DFI NF4 Lanparty UT expert ? My boards a LAN PARTY UT SLI-D .

The Expert bios are for Expert mobo only, flash from the NF4 Lanparty, although I have flashed my Expert with the Venus bios and used it but reflashed to the Expert. :cool:

No, you cannot use a hard drive from another system, unless they have the exact same hardware (chipset...everything) . You need to format and reinstall when you change motherboards.

Yes. Amazingly, I changed from an P4/Asus 478socket/AGP8x mobo to a 170 Opty/DFI SLI combo and was able to boot into windows in safe mode+networking. I did have to reinstall with Windows Pro x64 to get a normal boot.

Slowly going insane here.

Ok i have bought my new HDD , ive been following the instructions for a fresh installation. Got it up to thepoint where i connect my hard drive , floppy & DVD burner.

Rebooted my machine , and low n behold it tried to install Win XP - great ....next thing i knew an error message came up saying it couldnt read a file .. No way ! its a WinXP disk which has only been used twice .! I put the disk into my laptop here , and tried to read the disk , yup , she came up straight away you want to install XP .... hmmm the plot thickens ..

Problem with DVD ? changed the DVD player with my CD burner , trying to isolate problem ,

this time the machine just kept rebooting , lanparty flash screen , resetting ...wasnt getting very far. So i tried changing the IDE cable ... powered up the puter ,now all i get is one long beep and there is one red light on the motherboard. Screen is totaly black and will not fire up. Tried reseating the vid card , same thing , tried clearing cmos , same thing either I have a dead video card or a bad motherboard. Any suggestions ?

Hi longtan,

read error is probably caused by a memory error.

Are u still with 1 module or 2.

Best plan is to test memory by running memtest - you can run tghis from your bios, see genie bios & about the bottom menu item. enable it save & exit. memtest will run automatically on boot. best to run 4 about 3 hours if u can be patient. if memory fails 1st thing to check is usually memory voltage (also in genie bios)

if running 2 modules & you get a failure test each singly in furthest slit from cpu(using whatever colour your currently on/

see how that goes.

luck :)

Ps if you feel the need checkout Frustrated with your PC

Well , ive managed to progress a bit ...

I've only got the one stick of memory in ( one orange slot furthest from CPU ), I reseated the Video card into the 2nd PCIe slot ( go figure) and ive been able to fire up into BIOS

( yeahhh i can see - ahhh the clarity ! )

K now i went lookin into the genie BIOS and i cannot see any option there for MEMtesting .

So i went searching high and low through the BIOS options.

Anywho , i 've rebooted the machine now , and ive managed to get further , its found the WIN XP disk , and has now come back with "Setup is inspecting your computers hardware configuration" where its been sitting merrily for the last 10 minutes.... Hell it seems so nice to see somethin on my monitor i dont want to turn it off :P

You need to run memtest for a bit before you try and install your OS.

You seem to have some mem issues, and installing software with unproven RAM can lead to corrupt files.

Memtest is the last option under Genie BIOS settings. Set it to enabled, save and exit, and memtest will run on reboot.

BIOS standard CMOS settings is displaying the memory totals , 640K base , extended memory 1047552K total 1048576K ... Im still lookin for that memtest option .. Ive built a few machines in the past , all be it a bit of time ago ... so i know what im lookin for cant see it in the BIOS here. the board's BIOS is old . remember earlier i had the issue with it not picking up the AMD chip...came back as an unknown hammer? amd .. i wanted to have some stability in the system before i thought of goin ahead and flashin BIOS , which is something ive not done before...

When the system first fires up, on the bottom left of the screen is a BIOS date. What is it?

Memtest: Hit delete on 1st screen=> Enter Bios=> Genie BIOS (top option right column)=> Enter. Arrow down to last item =Memtest=> set to enabled. Save and exit. On reboot memtest will run