Sign in to follow this  
longtan

Build goin haywire - Plz help

HI there .

Im in process of building my DFI NF4 SLI-D system.

I've connected all the 4 power cables up , and im using an enermax 600w PSU.

Ive got two sticks of DDR ram in the mobo.

When im booting up i get the following :

Main Processor : AMD HAMMER FAMILY Processor - Model Unknown

Mem test : 2097152k ok - phew the occies cost a bit ....

It is detecting the Master HDD ,

and underneath i have lastly CMOS checksum error - Defaults loaded .

Press F1 to continue , DEL to enter SETUP . I also have 1 red light on the diags for VGA detected.

Any help appreciated .. thanks :confused:

Ive used the online instructions in the forum , and ive loaded the

K ,

I've just got the one stick in. And i've loaded the optimized defaults.

Now when i try to boot up i get a black screen and still have the one red light on the diags.

thanks.

K , I have here a Eagle Gforce 6500 Nvidia . I bought it today to just hurry me up n test out this board .. I inted to purchase a Nvidia 7900GT2 Dual GPU later on , and this is an el cheapo option to carry me through for when i get my tax return and upgrade a bit later on .

longtan: One red LED will be visible untill the OS takes control of the computer (when you start Windows for example).

You will have to be a bit more specific about your descriptions:

"Now when i try to boot up i get a black screen and still have the one red light on the diags."

Do you get a black screen after the BIOS screens have appeared, or do you not get any video?

I would clear CMOS, then start the computer again.

If you get no video but one LED, that means the computer has detected everything okay, RAM, CPU and Video, but you have no video output so you cannot see the BIOS loading.

Hi guys ,

Ok , I have cleared the CMOS and refired the PC after loading the optimized defaults .

I am now getting the PC up to a point where it's displaying

a) A listing for the NVDIA graphics card

B) The Lan party Splash Screen

c) the the BIOS screen

and thats where my system is now hanging .... i've got the PCI device listing with the IRQ addresses ,

The message Verifying DMI pool data .....

Backup CMOS...OK! and now the machine will not budge from there.

FYI the Hard drives im using are from my old WINXP machine with windows already installed. Shouldnt it be picking up that i've already got an installed OS ? at this point .

No, you cannot use a hard drive from another system, unless they have the exact same hardware (chipset...everything) . You need to format and reinstall when you change motherboards.

Also, I think you need a BIOS upgrade. The system is not detecting your dual core processor correctly. It should detect it as a 4400 X2 when it boots and not a "Hammer Family"

Thanks for the info. Ill go n get a SATA drive for my new C:drive.

Ill use these two IDE's for extra storage.

ALl the best

You don't have to get a new harddrive, you can just reinstall windows onto your old harddrives. Though it probably would be a good idea to get a new one (hard disks have improved a lot since win 98)

New mainboard and chipset + old O/S is a big problem. I found that out last time I did a build.

When u do come to install XP on a new sata make sure to unplug your ide drives,

until xp is installed . Then u can add them back. You'll need to go into bios Advanced Bios features - Hard Drive boot priority & move your sata drive to top of the list, save & exit.

Have you tried booting from your XP CD & installing XP on your existing drives. It sounds like your system is just hanging after finding nothing to boot. Normally it would find an old install & try that, or if not boot from lan.

luck :)